: Starter problems on my 94 N*

Roswell256
05-03-04, 09:38 AM
I have a 94 N* on my Concours and have been haveing a terrible time starting it. I thought it was the A/C at first because the bearings were going out, I thought maybe the compressor finally locked up and the engine wouldn't turn over because of it. I've heard of this happening.

I was wrong. We took the belt off and it still wouldn't start. So I had the battery replaced. It still wouldn't start.

The AAA battery guy that came out and helped try and jump start it said when he metered the battery terminal and I turned the key. He was seeing a normal drop in the voltage or amperage that pointed to the starter being good.

When I go to turn it over all I get a single "WOOOMP" and thats it. Its as if it has no power. I'm thinking maybe it is the starter. If the solenoid is good but starter bad, would it still drop power normaly but not be able to spin??

I really need help on this one. I love my cadillac but if I can't figure this out I'll have to end up selling it. Please help me keep from selling my caddy... You guys rock and I thank you for all your help in the past.

Thank you again
-Robert-

P.S. I noticed that when I tried to get it started with the belt on. The Belt tensioner would move. As if the belt was pulling on it when the engine tried to start. This is what led me to believe that it was just the A/C locked up.

i'll keep you up on what I find.

Lawrence
05-03-04, 01:05 PM
Sure sounds like enough to pull the starter and test it.

Roswell256
05-03-04, 01:45 PM
I have the service manuals but unfortunatly they are in the car, which is out of my reach at the moment. Where is the starter located and how easy would it be to pull it out? Are we talking afternoon job or rip half the engine out kinda thing?

Lawrence
05-03-04, 01:51 PM
Afternoon job. It is under the intake manifold. Hardest part is disconnecting the fuel lines. Don't take the top cover from the intake manifold. Just the 4 recessed bolt. They hold the whole intake assembly on, and the starter is just underneath.

You should clean the EGR passages while there. Do a search, there is already a lot of info on that. And you may want to have new intake manifold gaskets on hand in case you need them. The lower ones (against the head) are the most likely to need replacing.

Roswell256
05-03-04, 02:24 PM
What happens if I take all the bolts off of the top cover? I started to take them all out to just pull it off and look but then I got to thinking if I needed a gasket... I wouldn't have one. So I tightened them back down.

so I take the recessed bolts off to get to the EGR passages??? I thought the EGR valve was under the top cover? Or is it the valve is..but the passages are below that? Thanks for the help... I'll search and see what I can come up with.

Lawrence
05-03-04, 02:37 PM
What happens if I take all the bolts off of the top cover? I started to take them all out to just pull it off and look but then I got to thinking if I needed a gasket... I wouldn't have one. So I tightened them back down.

As long as you didn't remove it and disrupt the gasket, just tightem the bolts back up. Cross tightem them to 71 lb.in.

so I take the recessed bolts off to get to the EGR passages???

Yes, the intake assembly will come off, then you will see the phenolic EGR paltes with the gaskets and all. Just lift them off. The sludge will be obvious. And the starter. Be carefull not to drop anything into the intake ports!

I thought the EGR valve was under the top cover?

No. nothing there you need to remove.

Or is it the valve is..but the passages are below that?

The passage are under the lower intake manifold.

Roswell256
05-03-04, 02:39 PM
I might want to take a torque wrench to them when I get my car back.... I kinda just guessed.... I remember the rubber gaskets weren't buldgeing ....so that is where I tightened it too. I will have to check it when I get it back...

Lawrence
05-03-04, 02:48 PM
I might want to take a torque wrench to them when I get my car back.... I kinda just guessed.... I remember the rubber gaskets weren't buldgeing ....so that is where I tightened it too. I will have to check it when I get it back...

71 lb.in. is about all you can get with a reg size screwdriver and a medium firm grip.

Roswell256
05-03-04, 02:53 PM
71 lb.in. is about all you can get with a reg size screwdriver and a medium firm grip.
Socket set with Torqx bit....

Lawrence
05-03-04, 02:54 PM
Oh yeah, you'll want to follow along in you cleaning process of the EGR passages with a vacume cleaner.

Lawrence
05-03-04, 02:59 PM
Socket set with Torqx bit....

Yes, or with a torx bit in a screwdriver. Just to give you an idea of how tight.

Roswell256
05-03-04, 02:59 PM
Would it be advisable to put rags into the intake to help keep stuff out? just something that I can retrieve later but that will catch anything that falls in if it so happens too.

Lawrence
05-03-04, 03:01 PM
BTW, I'd recommend a GM starter and stay away from the aftermarket stuff.

Lawrence
05-03-04, 03:10 PM
Would it be advisable to put rags into the intake to help keep stuff out? just something that I can retrieve later but that will catch anything that falls in if it so happens too.

Yes you can. And I hit the ports with the vacume before I re-installe the manifold just to catch something I might have missed.

Roswell256
05-03-04, 04:00 PM
The place that I have my car at now says they don't think its the starter... they replaced the battery...and are now tracing wires.... and apperently this has all taken hours to figure out.

Tell me if I'm jumping the gun here but that amount of stuff shouldn't take HOURS to figure out. My pockets arent' that deep and I need my car fixed. I'm about half a step from towing it back onbase and working on it myself. But if they are right and its not the starter... then I'm at a lose as to what it would be.

Lawrence
05-03-04, 04:37 PM
It pretty simple to tell. Theres only two wires to the starter, one little one (to the solenoid) and one big one (the battery cable). They are in front of and behind the PS pump, so it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to tell if they are getting voltage or not.

Roswell256
05-04-04, 03:38 PM
OK... I just found out today that they said they found the problem... they said the ENGINE WAS LOCKED UP!!!!!!

How does that happen just sitting there?? I drove the car over to work (about 1mi down road) then parked with the nose down hill....then when I came out to start it to go somewhere at noon......NOTHING...it was fried.... THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN..... WTF!!!!!!!!!!! now the caddy dealer closest to me wants between $7k and $8k to fix it.... sooooooo no worth it.... or is it?? Bad strut, bad engine, bad A/C, small dent in side, and thats it... plus I just put on a new waterpump, and the heater supply and return pipes!!!.....

I'm freakin here.... I really need some advice..... is it worth the money to get it fixed?? Would it be too hard to do it by myself if I have a full blown mechanic shop at my disposal?? Where could I get a new engine if I wanted one??? Will anything else fit in there if I can get one?????