: 97 Deville No Longer Starts

bushe
11-18-07, 05:49 PM
Had this car for a while has about 193k miles on it and lately it has had trouble starting until today where it wont start at all. The car has spark it cranks, but when it is about to start there is a loud bang/pop and a small white puff of smoke coming from under the engine cover. I need help figuring out why this is happening any help is appreciated.
The current codes I have gotten after i cleared the codes to see what the problem was about a week ago are
P0300
P0325
P0404
P1599
B0533
B1552
B1970
B1983

they all have a history state so i dont know which is causing the problem and i dont have any idea where to really start on this.

alxinya
11-18-07, 07:38 PM
I don't know about computerized overhead cam engines, but that sounds like a serious timing problem. maybe your timing belt stretched. Or maybe you have a bad vacuum leak.... I'm sure one of the more experienced Northstar guys will help a lot more but it sounds bad.
Alex

Ranger
11-19-07, 12:12 AM
The Northstar does not have a timing belt. It has timing chains. Did you look up the DTC's?
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

bushe
11-19-07, 12:39 PM
P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected
P0325 - PCM Knock Sensor Circuit
P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance
P1599 - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected
B0533 - Fuel Sensor Open/Shorted To B+
B1552 - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
B1970 - Exterior Lamp Power
B1983 - Device Power Circuit Low

Yeah I had looked them up, but I dont know really where to start like ok P0300 is that the main problem and if it is what could be causing the misfire?
P0325 What does that mean and how do I fix that?
P0404 and B0533 but Relate to something in Gas and a sensor being open where is the sensor and can i repair it or does it need to be replaced
P1599 it basically stalls everytime it trys to start that one is a given
B1552 what does that mean? I am guess it has something too do with when the battery ran down after finally dieing because it of it not staring
B1970 what does that mean its not very descriptive maybe again related to the batttery dieing?
B1983 Device Power Circuit Low again related to when the battery died?

Sorry for all the question but I dont know that much about cadillac I am usually pretty good with cars from some experience but with all the electrical stuff in these car I dont really understand.

Maybe I should replace the battery, or do something with the fuel sensor? any suggestion? Thanks guy for the help so far i greatly appreciate it.

Ranger
11-19-07, 04:02 PM
First things first. If you are going to do your own troubleshooting, I would strongly recommend that you get your hands on a FSM (not Haynes or Chiltons). It will have all the diagnostic procedures for each DTC. Ebay is your friend.

P0300 & P1599 are just symptoms. You have to figure out what is causing them.
B1552 is common after pulling battery power. Not usually a big deal.
P0404 could be significant. Pull the EGR valve and clean it. There is a tutorial in the Tech Tips section.
P0325 could also be significant. Could be a bad knock sensor or maybe the PCM. Again, a FSM will have the diagnostic procedure so you don't throw parts at it hoping one sticks, or at very least, will help you make an educated guess.

bushe
12-01-07, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the help Ranger, I still have yet to get my car running again though, I have replaced the EGR valve which seemed to help because it actually started but that only lasted about 2 seconds until it stalled again. I am trying to located the knock sensor too try that next but I cant seem to locate it. Any help with locating it maybe with a picture, or description will work. Ant other things that i could try in the mean time while I am waiting for my FSM.

Ranger
12-01-07, 08:39 PM
I think the knock sensor is in the valley under the intake, but not positive. I doubt that is your problem.

At this point, I'd check the fuel pressure.