: Radio and accessory power

ChrisR
11-18-07, 01:43 PM
We have a '97 Catera that has developed a problem with the radio power. When the car's ignition switch is in the run position the power to the radio is turned off. Neither the clock in the radio nor the radio works. When you turn the key back to the the accessory only position the radio functions fine. Is this the ignition switch itself?

CateraMV6
11-18-07, 02:25 PM
Well its either the ignition switch or the circuit for the timed auto shut off for the accessory... Have an electrician take a look at it.. They are often familiar with similar problems and sometimes they can pinpoint the problem on the spot.

elvin315
11-18-07, 04:31 PM
According to others having had the same problem it was the Multifunction Switch. Don't ask me why because I don't know. Perform a search for MULTIFUNCTION and read what they say about it.

Elvin

lakesidepark
11-18-07, 09:35 PM
check the fuse for the auxillary water pump; check the pump itself. Failure in that circuit will cause the radio power failure in RUN mode only.

graphicsman
11-19-07, 01:48 AM
I've actually had this happen because of a stupid issue. I've done this twice by accident, and i'm not sure how I did it. However, if you play with turning over the ignition and killing it with the door open, I've gotten it to reset. The broken behavior would run the radio *after* I had taken the key out of the ignition, but not with the ignition on, only in aux.

hiiRo
11-20-07, 10:29 AM
not really pertaining to this but does anyone know how long the positive battery cable running from battery to starter is? mine has actually burnt through and the wire is showing so i found my low volatge problem.