: 97 SLS Motor Swap to an 03. Is it possible?

Huck
11-17-07, 11:42 PM
I have a 97 SLS with 104K and the headgasket is blown. I have found an 03 Deville motor and a 98 Deville motor. The 98 needs gaskets like mine but only has 42K and the 03 has 40K. Will the 03' go in my SLS without too much trouble. What are the main differences and difficulties I will run into. I know this has been discussed a bunch of times but I did a search and found nothing.

Huck

AJxtcman
11-18-07, 12:04 PM
I have a 97 SLS with 104K and the headgasket is blown. I have found an 03 Deville motor and a 98 Deville motor. The 98 needs gaskets like mine but only has 42K and the 03 has 40K. Will the 03' go in my SLS without too much trouble. What are the main differences and difficulties I will run into. I know this has been discussed a bunch of times but I did a search and found nothing.

Huck

That combination would take a lot of work and you may not get all the bugs worked out.:thumbsup:

zonie77
11-18-07, 12:58 PM
My opinions:

A Northstar with reasonable oil changes will go 300K.

If the original engine runs well except for the HG's then the smart course is to repair your engine. You do not know if that engine truly has 40K...that sounds awfully suspicious to me. Is it still in the car or on the ground? People on the forums have been burned with "low mile engines" that were worse than their medium mile engines.

If you know that engine has bad HG's you are only adding it's cost to the job.

Are you thinking of repairing it yourself? It is possible for a decent DIY mechanic with enough room to do it. My brother and I have now done several.

It will be the longest single job you may ever do but it isn't that bad, especially if you can get some help on parts of it.

Here's a link:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/5052-n-head-gasket-repair-part-i.html