: Broken Piston!

stkshkr
11-17-07, 08:55 PM
Heads came off today and look what I found!
Didn't find the pieces so I assume they went out the exhaust. Only damage was a little metal removed around the spark plug shroud (see arrow). Very lucky I guess, thats the price of racing. I'm going all forged for sure now and 408 probably. Who knows maybe a cam and go N/A (anybody want to buy a Maggie?)

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/11/32020433845.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7116181)

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/11/32020433937.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7116184)

The pile gets bigger
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/11/32020433891.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7116183)

The Tony Show
11-17-07, 09:09 PM
Dammit....not only does that suck for you, but it makes me even more nervous about my clicking sound. :(

Howsitgoing
11-17-07, 09:59 PM
Katech is selling a reasonably priced forged 427 sortblock. Lots of guys talking about it on LS1tech!

RobWilson
11-17-07, 10:43 PM
Is that cylinder number seven? My piston from cylinder number 7 looks just like that in the LS1 from my C5. I was running a heads/cam setup for 3 1/2 years when I noticed a bunch of white smoke coming out of my exhaust passing a truck on a 2 lane highway. I now have a LS2 402 with ported L92 heads in my C5. Blowing the motor sucks, but it is a good excuse for an upgrade.

heavymetals
11-17-07, 10:49 PM
What a drag.

Yeah, racing has it's pitfalls.

Mod Hell is bad enough.

C5R block next?

keeksv
11-17-07, 11:56 PM
sorry...

Alex_V
11-18-07, 12:04 AM
In all truth, dont call drag runs racing. Just aint right.

Glad you caught it before things really went bad.

JonCR96Z
11-18-07, 12:54 AM

Glad you caught it before things really went bad.

It can't get too much worse. Especially since he's talking 408 with forged rotating assembly. That's everything.

Texas-Speed.com has plenty of assembled long and short blocks to choose from. With plenty of options and reasonable prices. They're also very reputable. 454 LSX sounds real good.

Jon

stkshkr
11-18-07, 01:35 AM
[quote=Alex_V;1296020]In all truth, dont call drag runs racing. Just aint right.quote]
:bonkers:
Well then please tell me and over a million NHRA and AHRA members what it should be called :annoyed:

stkshkr
11-18-07, 01:39 AM
Jon
Can't afford those short blocks, gonna rebuild mine. Probably 382 now that I've looked at things.

heavymetals
11-18-07, 01:59 AM
Well build the crap out of it and good luck.

Why do they call it drag racing if your not dragging anything? :alchi:

You are either racing against a clock or someone else right?

Drag clocking then. :alchi:

pietroraimondi
11-18-07, 04:09 AM
What small parts of the piston assembly that grenaded may very well be sitting in the pup cat converter and was not completely expelled out of the rear exhaust.

I would pull that individual cat and would bet that you may find some metal shards sitting inside the cat converter.

I know your dealing with alot of grief right now, but I was always of the opinion that bolting on a maggie was a quick and economically cheap way to buy 130 extra ponies; but with factory stock cast internals it was a problem that would eventually rear its ugly head as it unfortunately did here.

Best of luck to you with your rebuild.

JonCR96Z
11-18-07, 08:43 AM
Jon
Can't afford those short blocks, gonna rebuild mine. Probably 382 now that I've looked at things.

An all stroke 382? Get your heads ported or go aftermarket? Also make sure you figure everything thing into getting yours rebuilt. My buddy just had a local shop do a L92 headed 408 and by the time it was done he could have spent a few hundred more and got a pretty bad ass LS7 headed 427 from an online speed shop. Not that his isn't good but it was definitely something he should have considered.

Jon

Flyboy
11-18-07, 09:17 AM
Well then please tell me and over a million NHRA and AHRA members what it should be called

:yeah:

IMHO, racing is racing is racing.....This car is GREAT on a road track, just ask CHEF.....but if someone decides to see how fast he/she can get 4000 pounds down a quarter mile of track, that TOO IS RACING. My $0.02 worth...there I feel better now.

CIWS
11-18-07, 10:09 AM

It sure as hells qualifies as racing in my book. It's competition, running for the quickest time against an opponent(s) trying to beat you.

What do you call it ? What meets your minimum requirement for something to carry the moniker "Racing" ?

darkman
11-18-07, 10:18 AM
I love drag racing myself and I applaud those working to adapt the CTS-V to drag racing because we all learn from their efforts.

It seems there are some that claim that drag racing is not "real" racing and yet complain (without end), because one thing a box-stock CTS-V is not well suited for is drag racing. If drag racing ain't real racing, why complain about wheel hop and weak differentials? Conversely, if wheel hop and weak differentials are important then drag racing must represent be a vaild measure of performance. You cannot have it both ways.

Silver Dollar
11-18-07, 12:52 PM
stkshkr,

Looks like detonation. Was that your conclusion?

c5racr1
11-18-07, 02:27 PM
too lean too long too bad.

stkshkr
11-18-07, 03:00 PM
I'm taking my stock heads with the upgrades to be ported locally by a very good shop. The short block will be all forged and stroked only (4.00), with a good blower cam (haven't decided the specs yet). I've decided to stay with Maggie.

Heavy said: You are either racing against a clock or someone else right?
Both

c5racr1 hit it right on the head.

Thats the cylinder the ARP nut came off on the headers causing a leak.

My cats are gutted so I assume the pieces went right out on the track, dragging along behind perhaps....

rand49er
11-18-07, 03:38 PM
... Looks like detonation. ...

too lean too long ...Aren't they both right? Being on the rich(er) side quenches the intake charge down a bit and helps resist detonation. Being on the lean side, things can get a little hotter.

Either way, it's too bad on the negative side. On the positive side, now the rest of us can enjoy watching you build your car into an even more formidable beast! :highfive:

JonCR96Z
11-18-07, 05:52 PM
....with a good blower cam (haven't decided the specs yet)...

I'm telling you, Patrick G is the man.

Jon

Silver Dollar
11-18-07, 06:33 PM
lean misfire = detonation = shattered pistion.

DILLIGAF
11-18-07, 08:07 PM
I'm curious what Rick thinks here.Keep those receipts handy.I'm thinking alot of us will be lunching our motors as the miles pile up.I figured when the maggie went on mine it was a, for how long love affair.

stkshkr
11-18-07, 09:29 PM
Don't fret, mine has a race tune and hundreds and hundreds of passes

DILLIGAF
11-18-07, 09:38 PM
Don't fret, mine has a race tune and hundreds and hundreds of passes
Noooooooooo,I know my Stealth V tune is safe,not dissen Ricks tune here in any shape or form.I would just like to hear his opinion on what might of happened.My car gets driven very slow and very fast,not much middle ground.I'm actually very surprised it's still as strong as day one.But I don't expect it to last 200,000 miles or 100,000 miles.

Scatillac
11-19-07, 06:31 AM
You might want to look at adding a rear steam tube in your build, just to be on the safe side. The rear cylinders (especially #7 ) tend to run a bit hotter in these engines.

stkshkr
11-19-07, 11:26 AM
I'm gonna have EPP do the bottom end as a 382.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/services.php?service=86

NormV
11-19-07, 08:57 PM
What are you fuel supporting mods and what spark plugs are you running? Octane fuel?

Thanks,

Norm

stkshkr
11-20-07, 01:10 AM
Magnavolt, NGKTR6IX, 93 octane pump