: 99 SLS and Straight DexCool rather than 50/50

Nancy1964
11-17-07, 01:15 PM
Hello All:

My check coolant level light kept coming on so my backyard mechanic who always does a fabulous job, filled my car with "straight" dexcool, not the 50/50 mixture. I can't get a hold of him now to ask him about this. Is this OK? Will my car be OK or should I be concerned about this. Everything I've read on the internet and my manual talks about the importance of the right mixture. I should add that I bought my 99 SLS used and am not sure what was used in it before I got it. This is the first coolant issue I've had, hence the reason my mechanic put dexcool in it. Any info/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Nancy

AJxtcman
11-17-07, 01:38 PM
YES
I know what some people will say.
The system is not 100% coolant and that can be done also.
I think it says 80% is the max freezing protection before it starts to go back the other way.
Your system was just topped off correct?
Straight Dex-cool may have been the best way go. Dex-cool does have some sealant in it.

Nancy1964
11-17-07, 04:18 PM
HI AJ and thank you for responding so quickly! YES, it was just topped off...not drained or anything like that. The light came on saying to check the coolant level. I drove with it like for probably two weeks before having my mechanic check it. I'm not sure the size of the bottle of coolant (looked like at least a gallon size) but it took probably halfe of the bottle. But again, it was the straight Dexcool and not the 50/50 mix with drinking wanter that my manual says to use. Hopefully it will be OK. Sounds like from your response, it will be. And you mentioned it having a sealant in it. The other reason I took my car in was because I noticed a slight like (a drip) of some fluid underneath toward the driver's side/middle of my car. Now it's not dripping anymore. Coincidence??!!

Thank you again :)

Nancy

Ranger
11-17-07, 04:40 PM
As AJ said, you should be fine. Just use 50/50 from now on. We need a better description of where this leak is. What color is it?

AJ,
Dex has a sealer in it!? Never heard that before.

CadillacSTS42005
11-17-07, 05:00 PM
news to me as well....

Cadillacboy
11-17-07, 05:24 PM
100% is a BS if we walk about the welfare for the engine . With such a "pure" coolant you will get your car to like much higher operating temperatures thus initial overhating .A dumbass did it on one of my friend's car and he was not satisfied with that afterwards

JimD
11-17-07, 05:36 PM
.... I drove with it like for probably two weeks before having my mechanic check it....Do not ignore similar future MESSAGES. Two weeks? That is begging for serious ($$$) problems. Two hours is an appropriate action time.

How busy can your life be that you would jeopordize your ride?

The other reason I took my car in was because I noticed a slight like (a drip) of some fluid underneath toward the driver's side/middle of my car....How many clues do you require before you decide the situation must be addressed? And now!

If Nancy is your name, I'll make an assumption and tell you if you were one of my daughters, you would be cancelling my invitation to T'giving dinner at your home.

Give your mechanic a long wet kiss.

CadillacSTS42005
11-17-07, 05:47 PM
oh
ive had worse come into my shop
much worse

Ranger
11-17-07, 05:47 PM
100% is a BS if we walk about the welfare for the engine . With such a "pure" coolant you will get your car to like much higher operating temperatures thus initial overhating .A dumbass did it on one of my friend's car and he was not satisfied with that afterwards
It was only topped off with 100%, not a drain and refill as I understand her.

Cadillacboy
11-17-07, 05:53 PM
It was only topped off with 100%, not a drain and refill as I understand her.

Yeah, besides due to higher amount of green stuff ,I believe it will cause the heads to be eaten much earlier in long run and residues galore over 50/50 mixture

Submariner409
11-17-07, 05:54 PM
:confused: How would "pure" A/F change the opening point of a thermostat and thereby operate the engine at a higher temperature :confused:

Cadillacboy
11-17-07, 06:00 PM
Because in long run the green stuff gets more residue over 50/50 therefore inside your rads your coolant flow gets harder and harder due to that slimey residues . It's like when you put your coolant tablets into the reservoir ,you should put them into the lower house for 4.9 and such .Same logic

Another good mechanic told me not to use 100% and I just keep factory specs and so far so good

JimD
11-17-07, 06:04 PM
:confused: How would "pure" A/F change the opening point of a thermostat and thereby operate the engine at a higher temperature :confused:

One hundred percent ethylene glycol does not conduct/transfer energy (heat) as efficiently as water. Water is the standard; as in 'as good as the transfer gets'.

A Google search on WWII era liquid cooled aircraft engines should provide some engineering reference data on Rolls Royce-Merlin engines cooled with 100% ethylene glycol.

dkozloski
11-17-07, 06:11 PM
Straight glycol in an engine is not a great impending disaster. Glycol has about 70% of the heat transfer capability of water. Considering the cooling margin designed into the system, that verges on the negledgible. Straight glycol doesn't freeze solid like water. It gets syrupy like oil. All in all, at the most you are looking at a minor adjustment in concentration by adding a little water.

Submariner409
11-17-07, 06:30 PM
This is gonna be a great "he said, she said" thread. It should be merged with the same topic thread up in "Seville/DeVille" ^^^. The engineering cooling data on Merlins, Griffins (Grifon), and Allison V-12's from 62 years ago is not germane. What liquid ratios do present day F-or-P51D pylon racers use and why has the underbelly radiator been enlarged? (Just for grins, with a ground level temp of 95 deg., what is the temp at 12,000'?)

Nowhere in this thread has anyone advocated the use of 100% A/F. It HAS been used in here to top up a 50/50 system, yielding, what ? 60/40???

AJxtcman
11-17-07, 06:45 PM
Yeah, besides due to higher amount of green stuff ,I believe it will cause the heads to be eaten much earlier in long run and residues galore over 50/50 mixture

I have several sets of used heads and know a new set. NONE ARE EATEN

I can't recall ever seeing a head on a Northstar eaten up, even on the cross-over port area.

Straight glycol in an engine is not a great impending disaster.

Straight glycol doesn't freeze solid like water. It gets syrupy like oil.

You would be the expert in cold climate around here.:histeric:

Not directed to dkozloski
THE QUESTION WAS ASKED AND THE WAY I READ IT WAS: If adding straight Dex-cool would be a problem. Like as if it was just topped off.

I asked the question to verify this and she replied YES it was just topped off!:hmm:

JimD
11-17-07, 06:52 PM
.... The engineering cooling data on Merlins, Griffins (Grifon), and Allison V-12's from 62 years ago is not germane....Of course the data is germane. If only because of the energy transfer limits. The engineers knew the limitations of liquid cooling with 100% ethelyne glycol and the aircraft operational parameters reflected that limitation.

....What liquid ratios do present day F-or-P51D pylon racers use and why has the underbelly radiator been enlarged?That begs several different questions.

Why are present day liquid cooled WWII vintage engines now using a "liquid ratio"? My 1st guess is heat tansfer efficiency.

Larger radiator? Consider low altitude (less than 12,000 feet) Nevada desert ambient air temperatures.

Submariner409
11-17-07, 07:20 PM
Jim......We're on the same page.......low altitude, low airspeed (relative), constant WOT manipulation. 70/30 green stuff.

Did some chemistry......See 'performance'.....

Nancy1964
11-17-07, 07:43 PM
Well JimD, the reason it took two weeks and not two hours is because being a divorced mother of two not receiving a dime of child support from my POS ex-husabnd who happens to be incarcerated now, I couldn't afford to bring it in until I got paid on the 15th, hence the reason I brought it in today...plus he wanted me to leave it, and I needed it to get to and from work...as for the "drip", it was a very slow drip and I only noticed the drip two days ago. I read my manual about the coolant but didn't want to risk adding coolant sooner and then risk screwing something up further with putting in the wrong stuff so I waited to see my menchanic. Believe me, I wish I were the financial position to just take my car in whenever it was having an issue, but I'm not. Not sure what you meant about the daughter comment and cancelling the invite to Thanksgiving dinner, but I'll be dining at my dad's this year since we just found out last Monday his cancer is in remission and he's so thrilled that he feels like cooking again! So now that I feel as I've defended my ignorance JimD and the personal crap is out of the way....

My mechanic did indeed just top it off...not a complete drain and refill. As for the drip or leak, it's almost a clear color, or light tan...like the color of fresh, new oil only maybe a little lighter. It more on the driver's side and more in the middle, not close to the driver's side wheel if that makes sense. My mechanic could not find a drip or leak, but on my garage floor I noticed what looks like 4 or 5 drips of this almost clear, greasy feeling substance.

Thanks for your time all. I didn't post here to start crap slinging thread or offend anyone. I just wanted a little insight and hopefully some reassurance that putting in straight Dexcool wouldn't ruin my car.

JimD
11-17-07, 07:43 PM
Jim......We're on the same pageWe are, we are. Probably with different application experience.

My training/experience/empirical evidence comes from (well) above sea level.

AJxtcman
11-17-07, 08:28 PM
Well JimD, the reason it took two weeks and not two hours is because being a divorced mother of two not receiving a dime of child support from my POS ex-husabnd who happens to be incarcerated now, I couldn't afford to bring it in until I got paid on the 15th, hence the reason I brought it in today...plus he wanted me to leave it, and I needed it to get to and from work...as for the "drip", it was a very slow drip and I only noticed the drip two days ago. I read my manual about the coolant but didn't want to risk adding coolant sooner and then risk screwing something up further with putting in the wrong stuff so I waited to see my menchanic. Believe me, I wish I were the financial position to just take my car in whenever it was having an issue, but I'm not. Not sure what you meant about the daughter comment and cancelling the invite to Thanksgiving dinner, but I'll be dining at my dad's this year since we just found out last Monday his cancer is in remission and he's so thrilled that he feels like cooking again! So now that I feel as I've defended my ignorance JimD and the personal crap is out of the way....

My mechanic did indeed just top it off...not a complete drain and refill. As for the drip or leak, it's almost a clear color, or light tan...like the color of fresh, new oil only maybe a little lighter. It more on the driver's side and more in the middle, not close to the driver's side wheel if that makes sense. My mechanic could not find a drip or leak, but on my garage floor I noticed what looks like 4 or 5 drips of this almost clear, greasy feeling substance.

Thanks for your time all. I didn't post here to start crap slinging thread or offend anyone. I just wanted a little insight and hopefully some reassurance that putting in straight Dexcool wouldn't ruin my car.

I am a fully train and certified GM technician

Ranger
11-17-07, 08:39 PM
Don't let us scare you away Nancy. You didn't start anything or offend anyone. Throw something out here and we tend to pick it up and run with it. Stick around and learn. We'll keep you on the straight and narrow and give you all the advice you need to keep your car in good condition. The drip sounds like it could almost be oil, but Dex-Cool looks similar to the untrained eye. If it is Dex, keep an eye on your coolant level and add 50/50 Dex/distilled water next time (or maybe just distilled water to bring you back to a close 50/50).

Cadboy,
I think you are a bit misinformed. Pure coolant will not cause an overheat situation. It will not eat the heads or create a lot of residue.

JimD
11-17-07, 08:43 PM
Well JimD, the reason it took two weeks and not two hours is because being a divorced mother of two not receiving a dime of child support from my POS ex-husabnd who happens to be incarcerated now, I couldn't afford to bring it in until I got paid on the 15th....I get it, and the rest of this population probably gets it too since 50% of us are divorced or soon-to-be. You missed my point: If you need your car to support your family, transportation has to be (should be) a major priority for you. I know you would not wait two weeks to get medical attention for one of your children.

Thanks for your time all. I didn't post here to start crap slinging thread or offend anyone. I just wanted a little insight and hopefully some reassurance that putting in straight Dexcool wouldn't ruin my car.Crap slinging? Lighten up. Folks living in the higher latitudes (Fairbanks, Alaska) routinely use 70% ethelyne glycol / 30% water ratios for freeze protection.

You and your mechanic have not ruined your car.

Cadillacboy
11-18-07, 07:04 AM
I should have said "headgaskets" not heads that was I meant .Yeah, I have never heard that the heads are eaten as well . The reason for the hg is that you know ph ,acidity in a radiator coolant is quite crucial for the components of the system . When ph ,acidity and such things are high in the coolant hgaskets can be in danger what I know .
100% coolant includes more acidity over 50/50 when it's due thus the headgaskets might be eaten in a shorter period of time ...I wish we had some tests to prove whether this is right or not .
Another proof is that if 100% was better why all the car manufacturers don't fill their cars 100% pure coolant .

AJxtcman
11-18-07, 12:15 PM
I should have said "headgaskets" not heads that was I meant .Yeah, I have never heard that the heads are eaten as well . The reason for the hg is that you know ph ,acidity in a radiator coolant is quite crucial for the components of the system . When ph ,acidity and such things are high in the coolant hgaskets can be in danger what I know .
100% coolant includes more acidity over 50/50 when it's due thus the headgaskets might be eaten in a shorter period of time ...I wish we had some tests to prove whether this is right or not .
Another proof is that if 100% was better why all the car manufacturers don't fill their cars 100% pure coolant .

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but you have NO CLUE!
I mailed off a good set of used head gaskets to dkozloski The coolant does not eat the head gaskets.:cookoo:

Have you ever checked the PH of DEX-COOL!!!!!!
I have and it is NOT an acid!

I have my own aquatic spay cabinet parts washer, so I have a PH tester.

I have checked so I know what it is positivily! Before you type something that you think you know. Do your own checks :mad2:

Cadillacboy
11-18-07, 12:44 PM
I am not trying to hijack this thread, but you have NO CLUE!
I mailed off a good set of used head gaskets to dkozloski The coolant does not eat the head gaskets.:cookoo:

Have you ever checked the PH of DEX-COOL!!!!!!
I have and it is NOT an acid!

I have my own aquatic spay cabinet parts washer, so I have a PH tester.

I have checked so I know what it is positivily! Before you type something that you think you know. Do your own checks :mad2:

I stand corrected what I said and can you read some statement in my post that you quoted anything related to the Dex ? I was referrin to the green with my ph :nono: .
Since it's a silicate free it is for sure it has almost no acid ! :cool:
I can't attest that if you see the eaten headgaskets it is because of acidity rate but can you tell me then why it is recommended to change the coolant in a certain period of time since you're a Northstar mechanic ?
You know if you don't maintain the coolant maintenance , your headgaskets goes bad but why ? Due to sugar rate then ? :histeric:
Did you read BBob's threads if not please read :stirpot: :sneaky:

Nancy1964
11-18-07, 04:26 PM
This is totally off topic, but I've checked with local junk yards and haven't had any luck finding a new grille for my SLS, and then I also need the driver's side door molding at the bottom of the door. Some punk, thug stole the emblem out of the middle of the grille and I'm told I have to replace the whole grille. Cadillac wants $534. I was hoping to find one at a junk yard. Any info would be appreciated.

Cadillacboy
11-18-07, 04:46 PM
Ebay....the seller :tristateauto
or
www.buy-oem-parts.com

Ranger
11-18-07, 11:08 PM
You know if you don't maintain the coolant maintenance , your headgaskets goes bad but why ?
The gaskets are not eaten away by acid. They deteriorate because the anti-corrosion inhibitors get depleted.

Nancy,
Might try http://www.cadauto.com or Ebay.

Cadillacboy
11-19-07, 06:03 AM
The gaskets are not eaten away by acid. They deteriorate because the anti-corrosion inhibitors get depleted.

Nancy,
Might try http://www.cadauto.com or Ebay.

Yeah, I remember it but acid too should be one of the "obscure" factors in here why the anti corrosion inhibitors get depleted .
BTW, this is for aluminum not covering cast iron material as I know they get rusted