: No 1st Gear!!!

alxinya
11-17-07, 04:31 AM
I just finally tried to see what kind of balls my car had, so I first just nailed it while in drive and realized that it took forever to get to 60. Then I manually put it into 1st and quickly realized that I had no first gear. My ride and traction control both do not work. Could this be the cause of the problem? If so, is there anyway around it because I doubt I will be easy or cheap to fix the TC and ride control???
Thank you,
Alx.

Ranger
11-17-07, 10:37 AM
You don't mention your year (add it to your profile). When ABS is inoperative, it disables first gear. A bad wheel speed sensor is a frequent culprit. It is integral to the hub & bearing assembly. Have you pulled the DTC's?

alxinya
11-17-07, 12:05 PM
95' STS 130k The A.B.S. is not working at the moment. What is a DTC???

fubar569
11-17-07, 02:39 PM

ah..young gwasshoppah has much to wearn yes?

DTC is short for Diagnostic Trouble Code

do you have a check engine light or a ABS light on your dash that's lit up? when any major fault (and many minor) faults are present, the PCM sets a DTC and illuminates these lights to let you know IT'S BROKE! :mad:

however, thats a good thing, as they tell you what to look for...say if a wheel speed sensor is at fault...it might have say...P035 - left rear wheel sensor fault (PLEASE NOTE I PULLED THAT NUMBER OUT OF MY HEAD - IT ISNT THE REAL ONE!!!)

to pull the DTC's you can simply stop in at many a vato zone or other place and have them pull the codes for you, OR use the built in diagnostics GM has given many cadillacs since god knows when...see the sticky at the top of this forum for how to go about that!

and good luck

Ranger
11-17-07, 04:45 PM
Thus no 1st gear. Pull the DTC's as mentioned. You can decipher them here. http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

alxinya
11-18-07, 02:43 AM
You guys are so much help, I thank all of you.
OK, there are a lot of history codes, but the only current codes are:
T061- motor pump circuit
T083- brake fluid level low.... The brake fluid level is not low, I guess the sensor is bad....
So what is the motor pump???? Is that the A.B.S. pump? and does that mean that the pump is bad?

Ranger
11-18-07, 10:57 PM
Yeah that's the ABS pump. Hard to say if it is the pump or the circuit.You'll need a FSM to run through the diagnostic "trouble tree" aka "chase around chart", but first replace the brake fluid level sensor. Just maybe, that has something to do with it.

alxinya
11-19-07, 05:51 PM
I'm soryy to sound so naive but what is an "FSM"? and a chase around chart?..... I pulled the white plastic thing with the electric plug in the master cylinder bowl and replaced it with the one from the junk caddy and it did nothing. I don't even know what the hell that thing was I Also got the A.B.S. pump. It looks all crusty and crappy. I hope I don't have to replace it because it was a pain to get that thing out even after torching the motor and tranny out!!!... Thanks All!!
Alex

Ranger
11-19-07, 08:41 PM
FSM = Factory Service Manual
"Chase Around Charts" = Diagnostic procedures. eg: Step 1. test this. Does this work? Yes, go tho step 6. No, go to step 2. Test that, does that work? Yes, got to step 8. No, go to step 3, Etc.

alxinya
11-20-07, 09:26 PM
Thank you Ranger!!! I just wish there was an easy way to test the pump because if it were bad, I have another one to put in.
Alex

Ranger
11-20-07, 09:58 PM
Maybe one of the resident techs knows of an easy way to test it.