: New update on Maggie's Bees

Seattle CTS-V
11-16-07, 08:12 PM
Looking for some ideas here. My very awesome shop just got the completely rebuilt Maggie back today and got her installed. Cost to me so far: $0. Magnuson picked up the entire tab, including shipping. To all those considering a Maggie, definitely bone up and get the extended warranty. It costs very little for alot of insurance!

Anyway, they said they fired up the car and the Maggie was working great. The problem, however, is that the damn metallic "pissed off bees" sound is still there. Apparently, Maggie needed rebuilding anyway but the sound that made me bring the car into the shop is still there...and still undiagnosed. So does anyone have any ideas as to what to check next? I wish I had a sound clip. They put scopes on the car to try and find the source of the sound and it still seems to be coming from the general area of the Maggie. Ugh! Yet another wknd w/o the V.

Thanks!

heavymetals
11-16-07, 08:15 PM
Maybe it is the bearings for the shaft.

Seattle CTS-V
11-17-07, 12:53 AM
I asked them about that but he didn't really think it could create those types of sounds.

onebadcad
11-17-07, 12:58 AM
Get Magnuson Tech Support on the phone and place the phone next to the running Maggie. Not sure if your unit is still under warranty (someone is going to have a field day with those choice of words), but at the very least they should be able to diagnose the problem.

Seattle CTS-V
11-17-07, 02:31 AM
Get Magnuson Tech Support on the phone and place the phone next to the running Maggie. Not sure if your unit is still under warranty (someone is going to have a field day with those choice of words), but at the very least they should be able to diagnose the problem.

100% of the labor, shipping and rebuild has been paid for by Magnuson under warranty. I absolutely cannot say just how great their customer service has been.

rand49er
11-17-07, 07:26 AM
... damn metallic "pissed off bees" sound ... coming from the general area of the Maggie ...(Sorry if this was described previously, but ...)

Is the sound proportional to engine RPM? Does the pitch change with RPM? Does it get louder with RPM or stay the same? Nothing is touching the rear pulley/belt? Any possibility at all that it's in the valvetrain and not the maggie? Could something be rubbing on the timing chain up front?

This has GOT to be something simple/stupid when it is finally found. :alchi:

Seattle CTS-V
11-19-07, 11:00 AM
(Sorry if this was described previously, but ...)

Is the sound proportional to engine RPM? Does the pitch change with RPM? Does it get louder with RPM or stay the same? Nothing is touching the rear pulley/belt? Any possibility at all that it's in the valvetrain and not the maggie? Could something be rubbing on the timing chain up front?

This has GOT to be something simple/stupid when it is finally found. :alchi:

The sound definitely changes with engine speed and is very loud upon deceleration from 4000+rpms (when you just let off the throttle and coast). You can hear it while accelerating as well, but the exhaust drowns out the sound quite a bit. The shop had a stethoscope all over the rear of the motor and still can't pinpoint the noise - but it seems to be coming from the Maggie area. Do you think I have internal engine problems? Springs? Retainers? (sigh)

heavymetals
11-19-07, 12:44 PM
IMHO not an internal problem.

Caveat being did you do anything to the internals?

When you say maggie area, do you mean front or back?

Mystical_Ice
11-19-07, 02:30 PM
interesting...

Twitch
11-19-07, 03:04 PM
Hate when that happenes. You think yiu find the problem, change the part, and still have the same thing.
Now you dont know if its your motor or the maggie wasn't fixed right.

Good luck

rand49er
11-19-07, 05:33 PM
... Now you dont know if its your motor or the maggie wasn't fixed right. ...So true.

Can't be the valves themselves or the springs since they each open and close intermittently, whereas the camshaft rotates continuously and is right under the maggie. (That's why I was thinking the timing chain.) Could it be a camshaft bearing that's spun and continues to spin? Oo-o-o, makes the hair on the back of neck just want to stick right straight out to think about it. :eek:

EDIT: Hey, just thought of something else. Could anything be dragging on the teeth of the flywheel back behind and down from the rear of the maggie? Oh, well ... just a thought.

Seattle CTS-V
11-20-07, 03:07 PM
About a week before I noticed the sound I had the shop replace the two knock sensors since I was throwing codes. They also replaced the gasket under the maggie.

One of the techs did think it might be flywheel-related. The sound is definitely coming from the rear of the maggie (closest to the cabin).

rand49er
11-20-07, 04:03 PM
... it might be flywheel-related. ...Just like when we were kids, we used to put pieces of cardboard in the spokes of our bikes to make a buzzing sound (geez, I'm old). Could be something pushing up against the teeth of the starter ring.

How's the easiest way to find out? Get some lights shining back there and a mirror on a stick to reflect an image back to you? Good luck!

Seattle CTS-V
11-20-07, 04:18 PM
I just called the shop (they must be getting annoyed with me by now) and they said they were changing out the header gaskets that came with the Kooks headers for some dead-soft gaskets. Not sure if the headers can make that kind of metal clanging sound but it's worth a try!!