: carb compatability

byrd
05-02-04, 09:56 PM
im new to the site, i think its great!
i need info on compatability with the 500 engine, im looking for the cheapest options

lux hauler
05-02-04, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the site.

Do you have a carb now?

byrd
05-03-04, 11:26 PM
yes, it is the stock q-junk, or q-jet

DaveSmed
05-04-04, 12:16 AM
Any spreadbore will work with the manifold on there now. You will need an adapter to use a square bore carb. Did you have something in mind? 650-750 cfm would be your best bet. I have an Edelbrock Performer with an electric choke on my Cad. (also note I kept that goofy air cleaner stud, so I could use my offset factory air cleaner. Important because it clears the A/C compressor.)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/davesmed/DCP01827.JPG

MMNineInchNails
05-04-04, 12:33 AM
cute carb. We match. I also have that same ratchet. You need to paint some stuff under the hood. Very clean though, dave.

byrd
05-04-04, 07:35 PM
thanks for the help

lux hauler
05-04-04, 10:27 PM
Many people believe that for street performance/fuel economy, the Q-Jet can't be beat.

You already have the carb.......I'd use it. That'd be the cheapest route, even if it needs work. I just sent my Q-Jet out for a performance build.......shouldn't cost me any more than $300. That's less than many new carbs.
The Carb Shop in Ontario, CA is doing mine.

catman
05-05-04, 03:00 PM
Rebuilding the original Q-Jet is probably your best bet. Check here first: http://www.carbs.net/quadrajet.asp Then go out to get a price on a comparable one and you'll be surprised.

catman
05-05-04, 03:04 PM
Jeremy, nice ride. I just got a 1970 Fleetwood Brogham I'm planning to resto-mod. I'm calling it the Fleetwood Anhialator.

voodoo
05-05-04, 11:48 PM
I just put a edelbrock 750 on my 1968 472 ,it runs great. I bought it at Autozone it cost $260 dollers and its brandnew. I think it was a good buy. Hope you have great luck with your carb.:)

Sasquatch
05-09-04, 08:24 PM
Voodoo I'm also running a 472 in a 69 Caddy hearse and looking for a new carb. Would you recomend the Edelbrock you purchased? Just can't seem to get any excelleration out of my old Q-jet. I know a rebuild would help but looking at all options. How was the change over? Everything match up? Vacuume line ins easy to locate on the Edelbrock?

68CoupeDeVille
07-09-04, 12:02 PM
Yeah, let us know how easy the swap from the stock q-jet to an Edelbrock 750 is, please. I'd like to do to the swap on my '68 Coupe but I'm no great mechanic (or even a mediocre or bad mechanic, for that matter) and don't want to run into big probs that I can't deal with myself. I've found rebuilt q-jets for about $130 but if you can get the Edelbrock for that cheap, might as well. My dad keeps houding me to do the switch too. He's, "never had anything but good luck from Edelbrock, son..." Is the change to electronic choke hard to do? What about the throttle linkage? Thanks!

Sasquatch
07-09-04, 05:26 PM
Real easy change out! Use the hot wire from your kickdown switch on your old Q-Jet for the power lead to electric choke. You will no longer need this kickdown set up or the dashpot so remove it. These are on the throttle linkage side of the Q-Jet. All the install directions are in the box. Vacuum lines, you'll need a tee splitter. When looking directly at the front of the carb on the car the right vacuum port is the one you want to use. Take a small piece of hose come off that port on the carb, a couple of inches will do, install the tee. Now take the vacuum line from your transmission ( should be on the back of the Q-Jet not the big one that goes to the power brake booster the smaller one) hook it into one side of the tee and the vacuum line coming from the dist. hook into the other side of the tee.The PCV hose goes to big center port on the front of the carb. Plug off the other port on the left on the carb. there should be some plugs included with your new carb. The tee splitter is included as well. Be sure to check for this before leaving the parts store to prevent a trip back. Also I would suggest buying all new vacuum lines. Look at the sizes you need and get some. They're cheap. The reason for this is that a few will have to be lengthened in order to reach. Especially the one from the transmission as it now has to go to the front of the carb. as compared to the back on the Q-Jet. Hook the bigger line from the power brake booster to the back of the carb just like on the Q-Jet. You may need to buy the screw in adapter for this. My carb. did not come with one. Just look at the back of the carb if there is just a threaded hole you'll need to ask for the adapter. I put a 1411 Edelbrock on my 472 and love it. Right out of the box and bolted it on with no adjustments necessary. The previous instructions were for the 1411 Edelbrock carb. You will need to buy the adapter plate for an additional $30.00 but that all goes on very easy. Also ask for the carb. mounting stud kit. Your old bolts won't work because of the thickness of the adapter plate. Make sure all your gaskets between the manifold and the adapter plate are in good shape and line up to prevent any air leaks. There should be a thin metal gasket located under the Q-Jet when you remove it. This is critical when installing the adapter plate. It must be positioned correctly with the other gasket to prevent the air leaks. When you have it apart and look you'll see what I mean. All in all a real easy change out. Taking your time 1 to 2 hours. Only four bolts holding your old carb in place.

vanaisa
07-10-04, 05:39 AM
...I've found rebuilt q-jets for about $130.....
Can you tell, where i can buy q-jet for this price? I have rebuild kit for my original carb(67 429 Eldo), but its always better to use professionally rebuilt item.
Thanks!

garck
07-12-04, 03:31 PM
Autozone has them for like 150 ish

here is a link. But I am not sure if the link uses cookies or not
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=doYMMECatalog&Parameters=Auto+Store%7C%7EREGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP%7 C%7ECARBURETOR

vanaisa
07-12-04, 07:24 PM
Thanks, Garck - i found there Champion Rochester Qjet #2-102A - i assune this is it? Are those Champion carburetors worth to buy?
Only thing, i know about Champion, that they made bad spark plugs and very bad window wiper blades....

garck
07-13-04, 12:46 AM
I really have no idea. I just know they are there. I was thinking about getting one sometime in the future

lux hauler
07-13-04, 11:15 AM
I sent my Q-Jet to the Carb Shop in Ontario, Cali. Gave them the engine specs, the specs of the vehicle it was for and they built the carb accordingly......about $270 complete including shipping to and from.

I haven't run it yet but I've been told that they do good work.

68CoupeDeVille
07-13-04, 01:29 PM
I had originally found it at PartsAmerica.com. You just enter in your car's year, model, and engine and it gives you parts sorted by category. For the '68 they have a Champion reman listed for $133.99 w/a $20.00 core charge. I guess that works out to about the same price as at Autozone unless you mail in your core to them.

Colt D
04-15-05, 01:45 AM
Does anybody have a picture showing how to adapt (that is, rig) the stock kickdown switch to work with an Edelbrock performer carb? My 68 Convertible cruises real well now, but I miss my "passing gear." Thanks in advance.

Colt

davesdeville
04-15-05, 02:05 AM
I sent my Q-Jet to the Carb Shop in Ontario, Cali. Gave them the engine specs, the specs of the vehicle it was for and they built the carb accordingly......about $270 complete including shipping to and from.

I haven't run it yet but I've been told that they do good work.

That is definately your best bet. Nothing beats the Quadrajet for performance and fuel economy on a not too radical engine. You pay for the marginally superior throttle response in fuel economy with a Edelbrock or Holley for that matter.