: whereis the timing indicator on and 86 brougham?

cadmat
11-16-07, 02:51 PM
OK, This may sound like a dumb question, and I'm usually really good with doing my own work on my cars, but I gotta tell ya. I can't find the timing indicator on my 86 brougham ( 307 california) to see where the timing gun needs to be pionted, so I can check the timing...can someone tell me where I should be able to see it from ? ( drivers side, passenger side between this and that etc) I fear someone long before I got it may have taken it off and never replaced it.. there is evidence of a front cover removal at some time in it's history ( old dried gasket looking sealent stuff oozing around the cover) I've had the car nearly 2 years, but have only put 2500 miles on it, and it drove so perfectly when I got it, I never did a tune up.. but now I have a little pinging I wanted to see about, and this is how my frustration came about today.

Thanks, MAtt

joe_padavano
11-16-07, 08:41 PM
OK, This may sound like a dumb question, and I'm usually really good with doing my own work on my cars, but I gotta tell ya. I can't find the timing indicator on my 86 brougham ( 307 california) to see where the timing gun needs to be pionted, so I can check the timing...can someone tell me where I should be able to see it from ? ( drivers side, passenger side between this and that etc) I fear someone long before I got it may have taken it off and never replaced it.. there is evidence of a front cover removal at some time in it's history ( old dried gasket looking sealent stuff oozing around the cover) I've had the car nearly 2 years, but have only put 2500 miles on it, and it drove so perfectly when I got it, I never did a tune up.. but now I have a little pinging I wanted to see about, and this is how my frustration came about today.

Thanks, MAtt

The timing tab on the Olds motor is on the driver's side. It bolts to the lower two front cover bolts on that side. In 86 it was plastic and often breaks off.

cadmat
11-18-07, 05:20 PM
Thanks Joe, that's just the info I needed. went ahead and ordered another from the loacl Cad dealer ( I figured a used one would be pretty brittle by now, and probably fail pretty quickly)

When it comes in this week, I will install and set my timing..

MAtt