: Brake possibilities…

MyOpel
11-16-07, 01:49 AM
A friend of mine recently removed the brakes from his Corvette so I went over to dream a little…
MMMMMMmmmmmm 14 inches, 6 pistons haha :worship:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/75Stingray/My%20Catera/IMG_4814.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/75Stingray/My%20Catera/IMG_4815.jpg

Then I came home to the parts I already have
13” rotors and 2006 Z51 corvette calipers… man I can’t wait till spring when these go on
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/75Stingray/My%20Catera/IMG_4794.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/75Stingray/My%20Catera/IMG_4795.jpg

CateraMV6
11-16-07, 02:28 PM
Well that sounds like an easy task however if you plan on going with bigger rotrs I am not sure you can just bolt those on. The caliper brakcets will need to be modified or some sort of extensions need to be made so that you can move them farther out to account for the bigger rotors.

Otherwise the corvette stuff seems to work on the GTOs so I guess we might be able to take just to caliper and mount it into the GTO bracket.

MyOpel
11-16-07, 02:55 PM
The 13" rotor i have is a direct bolt on, it comes from the Omega V8. For the caliper I will have a machine shop make me a steel bracket to move the them further out and accommodate the corvette mounts.

As for the z06 6pistons I wanted to see if they fit because wilwood makes a kit for the 04 gto with 6 piston calipers and 14” rotors, the only thing that would need to be changed would be the rotor Hat and I’m sure wilwood would custom drill the correct 5x110 holes for us.

CateraMV6
11-16-07, 03:08 PM
What you got going will certainly be the best thing anyone has ever done to these cars but I am not sure what kind of budget on but those damn corvette calipers look expensive... and I am not sure that you will be able to provide any increased clamping force with the OEM booster unit.. However you will get better brakes due to the increased pressure area and pad area...

I think for the low budget a good set up would be the OEM gto calipers and a set of C5 brake pads.. as those are about the length of the actual caliper... stock ones are about 3/4 of the actual calipers weep area..

Also I guess your set up will allow for some good track time where braking is crucial and the stock units will probably fry under such conditions...
You got me thinking about those dam corvette calipers and I might have to start digging into that subject again..

MyOpel
11-16-07, 05:08 PM
For me I just happened to be in the right place at the right time so the 2 piston vette calipers and 13" rotors didn't cost me much, the brackets that I still need to get made might cost more than all other parts. But you're right for a budget (and simpler) brake upgrade get the 04 gto setup.

The GTO calipers are the same as the c5 calipers only difference is that the vette ones have the Corvette raised letters casted into the front. The C6 2piston caliper is virtually the same as the C5/GTO but the casting was slightly changed and people argue that it's more rigid, I don't think you'd even notice the difference. The caliper brackets and mounting location are very different though.

Here are some interesting stats…
01 Cat Sport------------------------------------------------04 GTO
3897lb-------------------------------------------------------3821lb
11.7 x 1.1-in vented disc, 1 piston calipers -------- 11.7 x 1.1-in vented disc, 2 piston calipers
11.3 x 0.5-in disc, 2 piston calipers------------------ 11.3 x 0.6-in disc, 1 piston calipers
70-0: 177ft--------------------------------------------------185ft

Hmm wonder if our tires are softer and the rear brake bias is better adjusted then the GTO

CateraMV6
11-16-07, 05:25 PM
Those are interesting numbers.. I have no clue as to why the GTO would have longer stopping distance.. It could be up to pad design, vs pad surface area and also booster design and how much pressure you can apply across that surface... The only thing I can say for sure is the GTO brakes on the Catera had an immediate impact on the braking, not in terms of the pedal being stiffer or anything but the just the decelerating forces that you experience at about the same force on the brake pedal..