: 99' Catera Remote Start

DMEYER07
11-15-07, 10:57 PM
I'm lookin' to get a remote start installed (by myself) in my 99' catera.

I think My car has the transponder chip in a key correct? If so do i need anything special to get a remote start setup to work? Or is it just plug and go?

Thanks
-dave

10KTGOLD
11-15-07, 11:32 PM
vats bypass module

DMEYER07
11-16-07, 12:19 PM
If i ended up getting a whole alarm setup, and disabled teh factory alarm would i still need this vats bypass module?

Thanks
-David

10KTGOLD
11-16-07, 02:56 PM
yeah its passlock i ment not vats , i think vats is ford? but your key has the transponder thing in it. you might need a hidaway key or thats why they use the bypass . its like 10-20 at walmart

cateraowner
11-17-07, 03:14 AM
I went to a couple of place to try and get a car starter. both visions and future shop told me I need a hide away key. they apparently don't make a bypass for the car. keep in mind these are people from visions and future shop, so they might not know fully what they're talking about. my problem is I only have one key sot to get another key and program it and the get the car starter, it would end up costing me a lot. but if you have an extra key you dont need, then it shouldn't be a problem.

DMEYER07
11-19-07, 02:30 AM
I went to a couple of place to try and get a car starter. both visions and future shop told me I need a hide away key. they apparently don't make a bypass for the car. keep in mind these are people from visions and future shop, so they might not know fully what they're talking about. my problem is I only have one key sot to get another key and program it and the get the car starter, it would end up costing me a lot. but if you have an extra key you dont need, then it shouldn't be a problem.

So since i do have 2 keys, i could just hide one int the car and it ould work as normal?

-Dave

10KTGOLD
11-19-07, 08:54 AM
OK the whole module thing ,they sell a universal one at walmart. i checked it out and it will work.. if you don't use anything the car will start most of the time, but when it doesn't and it goes into theft mode ,it sux.. I had to use pretty much the same thing from walmart , bulldog brand ,on my malibu.

DMEYER07
11-19-07, 10:23 AM
I'll go to walmart today just to take a look at one. I'm thinking about just putting my spare key up under the dash, ziptieing it there or something, that should still send the singal right? Pluss it would be free and a little less wiring. I'm just a little tight on money for the extra stuff right now,but with winter coming around and the temps already so low i'd love remote start.

Quick question, is there anyway to make the seat warmers turn on as well, when the remote start starts the car? (just the drivers one of course) I doubt it, but if so plz tell me how lol

Thanks
-Dave

10KTGOLD
11-19-07, 10:58 AM
well as for the seat, you can run a relay and a few wires to make it turn on when the key is on. remote basically. then it would be on when the cars on, but in that case you would have to also run a swicth somewhere else that way you can turn off the relay when you dont want the seat to be on... the hidaway key goes in the bypass modual... this is from dei... "

"Most new and late model vehicles have factory anti-theft systems to prevent a vehicle being started without the specific owner's key in the ignition. These factory anti-theft systems provide a valuable service to the vehicle owner helping to prevent a thief from hot-wiring and starting your vehicle. Unfortunately these systems also prevent a remote starter from starting your vehicle, unless you left the key in the ignition, which could easily result in vehicle theft.

Directed Electronics, Inc (DEI), the world leader in remote start technology and factory interface systems, has developed a complete line of 555?series modules that interface with the factory anti-theft systems only during the remote start operation. Therefore the DEI 555-series Bypass Modules do not compromise your factory anti-theft system, preserving its integrity, and leaving it fully functional at all other times. DEI Bypass Modules give you the best of both worlds, maintaining the protection of your factory anti-theft system, while enabling you to enjoy the convenience and comfort of a DEI Valet Remote start system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The DEI 556SW is for Cars & Truck w/ transponder "chiped Keys" key when using a Remote Start

Bypasses immobilizer with transponder chip during remote start only
Must use a Key inside by-pass unit

The DEI 556SW provides an easy way for interfacing a remote starter with the vehicle's OEM (factory) transponder-based anti-theft system, while maintaining the integrity of the factory system. The factory system uses a very small electronic chip hidden in the top of the key to send a code to the vehicle's transceiver whenever the ignition is energized.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Normally, for this to happen, the key must be placed in the ignition and turned to the run position.This energizes a coil surrounding the key, which in turn energizes the chip which sends a signal to the vehicle.If the vehicle does not detect the code being sent, the vehicle will start and then immediately shut off and the anti-theft light will flash.

The DEI 556SW will provide a valid code to the vehicle whenever it is remote started, enabling the vehicle to start and continue to run, but will have no effect on the factory anti-theft system during normal operation of the vehicle.The factory transponder-based anti-theft system remains fully functional when the remote starter is not in use.

Requires One keys to inside unit

DMEYER07
11-19-07, 11:17 AM
Oh i see now. Thanks for posting that, cleared up alot. As for the seat warmers, it sounds like more work than it is worth, not to mention that in the summer it would piss me off :D lol Thanks though i'll be going to walmart in an hour or so
-Dave

cateraowner
11-19-07, 12:27 PM
damnit.. I wish I had a spare key. does anyone know how much it would cost to get one from the dealer? or get one from ebay and have it programed?

10KTGOLD
11-19-07, 01:25 PM
you program it yourself
buy one from ebay

(cheaper than dealer) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-1998-1999-2000-2001-Cadillac-Catera-Key-New-Uncut_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40016QQihZ010QQit emZ200174134767QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWQQtcZphoto

take it to lowes or home depot and have it cut

well after reading the link they claim you cant do it. BUT heres how you program a gm key

1. put key in ignition
2. turn it to the on position (not run)
3. leave it there for 30 minutes
4. turn key off
5. start car

that also works to clear the car if it goes into theft mode...........

cateraowner
11-19-07, 03:08 PM
good to know.

since I'm putting the key into the modual, I don't need it cut, if I were to find a keys for a junked catera would I be able to reprogram that? or is it a one time program thing.

and the ebay auction above doesn't ship to canada. there another store that does it, but it's works out to be $60 including shipping. thats 3x more. so I'll wait and see if someone else put one up for auction.

10KTGOLD
11-19-07, 03:29 PM
i dont know about a jy car key. that shipping sux.

nerdifiedgeek
11-19-07, 03:57 PM
thats really all you have to do to program a key? I ordered 2 keys last week and I was gonna pay a locksmith $25 each to do it, but I guess I won't if that's all it takes

elvin315
11-19-07, 04:40 PM
good to know.

since I'm putting the key into the modual, I don't need it cut, if I were to find a keys for a junked catera would I be able to reprogram that? or is it a one time program thing.

It will need cutting since you need it in the ON position to program.

Elvin

cateraowner
11-19-07, 04:54 PM
right.... I feel stupid for not catching that.. ahahha

looks like ebay is the way to go...

satse
11-19-07, 05:23 PM
It will need cutting since you need it in the ON position to program.

Elvin

Or you could just transfer the transponder of the uncut key to the old one (already cut key) and turn it to the ON position...

nerdifiedgeek
11-19-07, 05:33 PM
Hmm I just got my keys and there is nothing in them, except I see a little magnet like thing on one end, I guess thats it, I can't seem to get it out though

cateraowner
11-19-07, 05:48 PM
Hmm I just got my keys and there is nothing in them, did I get jipped here?

what you mean nothing on them? where did you buy it? the generic ones won't have any logos on them. it should look like a plain key with a large black top were the transponder is

nerdifiedgeek
11-19-07, 05:52 PM
sorry I edited my post cause i found that magnet inside..when I opened it, it looked empty

CadMan4life
11-20-07, 01:01 AM
Was thinking bout doing the same thing. Viper alarm and remote start.