Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Need A New Head Unit

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  CadillacSTS42005 
#1 ·
98 STS, the sterio fm reception is getting bad and the speakers are getting distorted, I went to a couple stero shops and they told me that cadillacs suck to work on and couldent help me. I want a full face head unit, I would like nav and dvd, I dont want a flip up one. I would like to hook up my Ipod too. any suggestions, should I get a factory HU on ebay instead.

#4 ·
Hey jevanof,

I would suggest you to go for the original stock nav unit.
You can find them on ebay for about 300-600 $.

pro:
- This unit works with your stock bose speakers. (with a aftermarket unit you would need to replaces the speakers, run new wires etc,... this would
be expensive)
- You can keep the steeringwheels controls
- It adjusts with your cars interior lights (If the button lights in the car are illuminated the buttons on the nav are also illuminated too)
- You can keep your disc changer (if you have a 02+ model)
- It fits perfect in your car. No need to design a frame for perfect fittment
- It is cheaper than the most aftermarket nav units. A good aftermarket unit costs you 900-2000 $
- The stock unit just looks bether than all aftermarket units in your car. It looks clean and professional.

contra:
- You will have to do some repinning on the radio connector. This is not just a swap - so you need to have some skills. But the most you can look up in this thread: LINK
(but I think this is stil easier than installing a aftermarket unit and replace all the speakers, molding a frame,...)
- You probably will need some patience until you find a good offer on ebay or junkyard.

Hope this gives you a decision guidance!

Here is a picture of the most elegant way to put a nav in your caddy.

#7 ·
it will go in 100% correct
however you will need to also update your changer to a 2002+ as well as repin the cd changer plug
my instructions do not cover that yet
you will also have to enter the code 1791 to open the faceplate anytime even in park (some people havent had this problem however most have) and again since i have not done this on a 98 yet i havent explained it (im buying another stock nav to add to my moms 98 STS)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.