: Would this be a wise choice? [CAI] on a 184,000 mile northstar

C.Jackson
11-14-07, 11:54 AM
I found a CAI [cold air intake] System i want to put on my caddy. Are there any risks? I have 184,000 miles on my engine http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_376187_-1

Im alittle worried about the filter it comes with...Should it be ok? Are there any tests i should do on it before i put it on my caddy? Thanks

Ranger
11-14-07, 05:06 PM
You already have a CAI. Just follow you intake ducting and see where it draws air from. That thing will be drawing hot under hood air. Do a search for CAI. It has been discussed many times.

C.Jackson
11-15-07, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the info ranger. I think ill just get a k&n drop in filter. There supposed to be high flow filters. What is the difference in the fram and the k&n? Ive always thought they were very nice filters.. Would one be a wast of money? Thanks again

EDIT: DID A SEARCH. The filters do help fuel economy and performace.. But they say that the filters let in more particals and dirt than a regular filter. So i guess ill just stick to my fram.

Submariner409
11-15-07, 12:06 PM
The particles and dirt that ANY panel filter "lets in" are microns in size. If any of the leading brands of air filter let anything in which would damage an engine they'd be in court and out of business in a heartbeat.

For the price of 1 K&N panel filter you can replace a LOT of Frams or WIX if you get antsy........unless you drive in Iraq, 12,000 miles or 1 year is fine.

A so-called CAI is eye candy, unless the original system is so antiquated and twisted that anything would help.

FWIW, let's say a Fram panel filter flows X cubic feet per minute. For another brand to flow X+ cubic feet per minute, it has to be less restrictive. There are 2 ways to make the same square inch filter size less restrictive: A looser weave of the filter media (more "dirt"), or more media in the same size panel (but then the pleats are tighter). TANSTAAFL. And we're talking flow at WOT redline, not flow at anything approaching 99% of normal operation.

C.Jackson
11-15-07, 12:23 PM
Well, what I was going to do is put the cone filter were the fog light goes (Since its already busted off). Would that be a good idea? Or would it be pointless? Thanks

Submariner409
11-15-07, 01:05 PM
You just did a 180, from drop in to cone. Back to "CAI".

Ranger
11-15-07, 03:50 PM
The stock filter IS CAI and will flow all the air that the Northstar can eat at WOT. Remember, the Northstar was designed as a world class high performance engine. The engineers would not (did not) use a filter that would restrict air flow at any throttle setting. Why mess with anything else?