: Does 98 Catera have an independent transmission fluid cooler?

RetardedGenius
11-14-07, 01:44 AM
How do Cateras cool automatic transmission fluid?

Does 98 Catera have an independent transmission fluid cooler, or lines that go to the radiator end tanks like some cars, or no cooling at all?

My trans fluid is getting too hot and I need to find a way to cool it down.

RetardedGenius
11-17-07, 08:22 AM
Has anyone here installed an aftermarket transmission fluid cooler or a Catera?
Are there existing fluid lines I can easily tap into or will I need to plumb my own from scratch?

RetardedGenius
11-19-07, 01:22 PM
Would it help if I said please? :bump:

elvin315
11-19-07, 03:33 PM
NOTE: My info relates to the 2001 Catera and may not be accurate for the 1998.

According to the GM 2001 Catera Service Manual, Vol. 2 page 7-180, the Catera has a transmission cooler. There is an illustration of the cooler on that page. Another illustration shows inlet & outlet connectors on the transmission's passenger side (right). It's not clear whether the cooler is part of the coolant radiator. I seem to remember reading that the Catera Sport came with a separate transmission cooler so it could be that the base Catera's tranny cooler is integrated with the radiator but I can't say for sure.

Elvin

RetardedGenius
11-20-07, 03:30 AM
I finally got some spare time to crawl under the Catera today and trace transmission fluid lines and they definitely both go directly to the radiator end tank on the psgr side. Both lines look very easy to tap in to, though there is much less room to put the cooler up front than I had anticipated.

Thank you for the response elvin315. :D I decided to run it as an additional cooler rather than a replacement as pictured here on the left...
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/MustangsHood/Probe/?action=view&current=TransmissionCooler.jpghttp://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/MustangsHood/Probe/?action=view&current=TransmissionCooler.jpg

so my new question is...Does your GM service manual mention for sure which line is the line sending fluid out to the cooler, and which line is the fluid return line?

elvin315
11-20-07, 07:47 AM
The GM Manual isn't that clear or I'm a little dense but I couldn't find the answer. I did find a picture of the inlet/outlet though. Follow the silver tubing on the tranny and you'll find them. Which is in or out shouldn't matter to an oil cooler.

http://sindrauto.com/html/Modify/Omega%20NewFace/Omega6.JPG

Elvin

Warez
11-20-07, 03:32 PM
so my new question is...Does your GM service manual mention for sure which line is the line sending fluid out to the cooler, and which line is the fluid return line?

Convection; top will be the warmer entry line and the lower will be the cooler exit line.

investor74
11-20-07, 05:55 PM
Just wondering, how did you know your trans fluid is getting too hot? How do you measure it, or is it one of the DTC codes?

RetardedGenius
11-21-07, 04:49 AM
Thank again for the responses. :thumbsup:

Just wondering, how did you know your trans fluid is getting too hot? How do you measure it, or is it one of the DTC codes?
Short version: I have recently acquired the semi-common Catera problem where my transmission shifts like a brand new car as long as my coolant temp gauge is below the 5/8 mark, but any time my temperature is at 5/8 or above, it slips every single shift.

Long continuation: I didn't measure it and I don't have a single code, but since it started slipping, I drained the coolant, changed the filter and refilled 7 qts of new fluid, and did a ton of research. I've seen a ton of write-ups of the exact symptoms I have at the exact temps, and every single one turned out to be a crack in the #2 clutch inside the trans, IIRC, and every single trans had to be replaced or rebuilt (for $ thousands).

What I'm in the middle of doing now is...I'm leaving the original radiator style cooler in place, and sending the fluid through it first...then out and directly into a new external tube & fin style trans fluid cooler located between the grille and the A/C condenser fans...then blow a pusher style cooling fan on it that's controlled by an in-line, non adjustable, fan controller set to come on when the ATX fluid goes above 180 degrees.

It'll cost less than $100 total, be done in only a couple hours once my parts come in, and my ATX fluid temp should be cut in half at least, while the engine and coolant remain at normal operating temperature.
Best Case: I may be able to put off replacing my transmission indefinitely.
Worst Case: There's a chance I may still have to replace the trans in a few months, but the replacement will have far cooler fluid temps from the start, making it unlikely that I would have this slipping problem again.

Boris
12-31-07, 08:49 PM
Quick question, RetardedGenius.

Got any part numbers or links to the fan and temp sensor ?

My trans will be getting rebuilt next week as it was starting to shudder in third and the clutches were taking a beating. I tow a trailer on the weekends so I need to keep the trans cool.