: How is the V in snow with snow tires?

Dave-V
11-13-07, 07:15 PM
I have had a V since Octoner 2004 with limited experience in snow. I have a new sales responsibility that will be taking me to Cleveland, Chicago and Michigan. How does the V do with 4 season or winter tires? I live and Louisville and the V does not handle the minimal amount of snow we have here with much grace. Do any snowbound Vs care to chime in? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. My only other option is to buy a Cayenne, X5 or RS6. I would much rather keep the V.:) Thanks in advance.

Twitch
11-13-07, 08:05 PM
I'm wondering the same thing.
Probably wont be too bad, once you get moving. Car has some weight to it.

nxlr8
11-13-07, 08:32 PM
Buy a beater...
Cheaper in the long run!

But... I don't have experience with the V in snow... so... not much help to ya here...

rand49er
11-13-07, 09:51 PM
This just got beat to death a week or so ago.

Decent A/S tires (I have Avon Tech 550's) or snow tires, and you'll do just fine ... assuming you're not plowing with the air dam.

StealthV
11-13-07, 10:07 PM
Behold the beauty of AWD.

ahahnu
11-13-07, 10:57 PM
Definately get yourself snow tires. It makes a world of a difference. Even with them its still not too easy negociating around. Slow and steady, keep your rpms low. I keep a shovel in the trunk just in case as well as salt of some kind. The first two winters I didn't hav ethe tires and it was the worst experience ever. I live on a hill and trying to get home was nasty.

CVP33
11-13-07, 11:04 PM
Driving the V in winter is like having sex with your neighbor's cat

1) :suspense:
2) :cookoo:
3) :(
4) :thehand:

Yeah, I don't know where I was going with that one either.

Chuck
11-16-07, 10:29 AM
Has anyone tried running snow tires on the back only or do most of you run four?

Thanks,
Chuck

parexa
11-16-07, 10:57 AM
I'd say no compromises, get a RS6, it owns the V in every aspect and its super fun to drive in the snow

Black Sunshine
11-16-07, 10:59 AM
It can't be any worse than running my Impala in the snow with 600 RWHP and snow tires. I've driven him from Quebec City, Quebec to Edmonton, Alberta in Feb. Now that was a ride. Think it hit 65 below 0 on that one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/Travel/IMAG0009a.jpg

Definietly go with four snow tires. Avoid steep hills. Take your time. Trying to rush a >4,000# car thru the snow WILL put you into someone else or in a ditch. (and don't forget to flush the water out of your windshield washer and replace it with low temp solution.)

Ever notice when driving in deep snow how the "locals" go haulin ass by and then you see them all piled up two miles on down the road? It's always the locals.

JoeArlo
11-16-07, 12:52 PM
Get yourself some snow tires.
Respect the car for what it is.

Snow tires provide a huge improvement, but the main differentiation in winter driving is the driver him/herself. If you understand the (over)capabilities of your vehicle - you will do fine. You need to understand your V in snow the same way someone with AWD must understand their car. Often people with AWD scare me the most because they simply take their vehicle for granted in poor weather conditions.

Twitch
11-16-07, 03:55 PM
Has anyone tried running snow tires on the back only or do most of you run four?

Thanks,
Chuck

I'm considering doing just the rears. Only because two of my tires are shot, and I dont wanna keep the RSAs anyway. That should be good enough for the few days we have snow on the streets. This way, I dont have to decided which tires to get till spring.

Jschmank
11-16-07, 09:59 PM
My V didnt see too much snow but I ran Dunlop M# DSST's all the way around. It did fine but you do need to watch yourself on turns. The back wheels will still break loose on shifting, especially around corners. It is a heavy car which is helpful.

KOster88
11-18-07, 07:31 PM
I have had a V since Octoner 2004 with limited experience in snow. I have a new sales responsibility that will be taking me to Cleveland, Chicago and Michigan. How does the V do with 4 season or winter tires? I live and Louisville and the V does not handle the minimal amount of snow we have here with much grace. Do any snowbound Vs care to chime in? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. My only other option is to buy a Cayenne, X5 or RS6. I would much rather keep the V.:) Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure how the do in the snow, but if you are interested I have a set of Snow tires for the V That I want to sell. They have less than 100 miles on them. Birdgestone Blizzak LM-22Z 245-45-R18. I bought these from a friend that works at cadillac. They were taken off a CTS-V becuase they certified it, and that required it to have the original run-flats installed. If you are interested in these make me a fair offer. I'm in Dallas.

Bob T
11-18-07, 09:16 PM
I live in Indianapolis and drive all over the state for business. I have used winter tires for 10 years or so and it makes a HUGE difference. I bought a winter tire/wheel package from Tire Rack and am currently using Michelin Alpins wiht good results. I have used the winter tires on BMW 540s and Mercedes Benzs all with good results. It is definitely worh your piece of mind if you have to drive for business (gotta get there).

Bob T
11-18-07, 09:23 PM
new guy posts twice sorry

pietroraimondi
11-19-07, 12:57 AM
I think that most of these folks are saying that "with" four snow tires and ideal conditions; you can operate a large displacement rear wheel drive high performance automobile; "if you have too".

But you're talking about extended long term driving through the midwest in the dead of winter.

My bet is that you'll end up dead.

Snow tires or not; the suspension and chassis geometry does not lend itself at all to operating this type of vehicle in what might very well be the worst of weather conditions.

I would park the V and buy a 5 or 6 year old Jeep Cherokee 4WD for little money as possible given that you would only be operating it during your long winter road trips.

pietroraimondi
11-19-07, 01:01 AM
Driving the V in winter is like having sex with your neighbor's cat

1) :suspense:
2) :cookoo:
3) :(
4) :thehand:

Yeah, I don't know where I was going with that one either.

Yeah, but you're pretty darn close! :eek:

ajedwardsjr
11-28-07, 07:26 AM
I live in the Washington, DC area, and we do not get a lot of snow, here. We get some, just not a lot.

Through last winter, on the original F1 Supercar Runflats, this car was virtually undriveable in the snow.

I am going to try this year with F1 All Seasons. Since I don't want to buy snow tires, I think that this can be a good option for me.

Feffman
11-28-07, 08:01 AM
Dave:

I drove the V through a snow St. Louis winter last year on snow tires and it was fine. Not like my previous all-wheel-drive car, but it does good none the less. This year I'm on all-season V rated tires so we'll see how that goes.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

JMBCTSV
11-28-07, 08:24 AM
When considering only rears; think what is more dangerous, not being able to accelerate, or not being able to stop or turn? I do not have enough $ to have a 2nd car and I have Dunlop M3 winter tires and it goes through the snow in Mich. with no issues.

end9472
11-28-07, 10:38 PM
I agree. I also had the Dunlop Wintersports and they worked fine in the Chicago winter. I also put a couple a bags of tube sand in the trunk for added traction. Don't kid yourself, you need all four tires. Not only do they provide better traction due to tread design but winter tire tread compounds are designed for operation in lower temperatures.

I am dating myself but many years ago it seems everyone dealt with reduced traction and handling of a rear wheel drive car by taking it slower and understanding the limits of operating a car in adverse winter conditions. Bottom line - buy a set of winter tires, take it easy, and you should be fine especially if you are driving on mostly main roads. Start off in second gear if the conditions are particularly slippery. Good luck.

When considering only rears; think what is more dangerous, not being able to accelerate, or not being able to stop or turn? I do not have enough $ to have a 2nd car and I have Dunlop M3 winter tires and it goes through the snow in Mich. with no issues.

TaVern
11-29-07, 02:45 AM
You don't need "winter tires"...

You just need to learn how to drive in the winter.

My V has been in the snowy mountains of Utah and the snow-filled streets of Washington DC (And if anyone knows what a snow-storm in DC does, feel free to chime in and elaborate).

Point is, I've been fine. Even on stock tires. The manual transmission helps, and so does the weight.

Just drive the car with common sense. You'll be fine.

djmodifyd
11-29-07, 09:48 AM
well i just purchased some blizzak lm-22's, and its supposed snow here this weekend, so i'll get to test it out. but last week during some snow i couldn't go very far with potenzas on it!

thank god we dont have winter long snow cover...

My CTS-V
11-29-07, 07:44 PM
You don't need "winter tires"...

You just need to learn how to drive in the winter.

My V has been in the snowy mountains of Utah and the snow-filled streets of Washington DC (And if anyone knows what a snow-storm in DC does, feel free to chime in and elaborate).

Point is, I've been fine. Even on stock tires. The manual transmission helps, and so does the weight.

Just drive the car with common sense. You'll be fine.

Eh, depends how much snow you get...I'd never be willing to drive this car in any decent amount of snow without snow tires. I tried in Boston with a couple BMW's and it didn't drive for sh*t with summer tires. On snows, it made all the difference in the world. If you can afford a dedicated set, get them, period.

nspharmd
12-01-07, 07:47 PM
just had a pretty good sleet/snow/ice here in illinois and my V ran great with my new michelin alpines. You will be just fine with 4 snow tires, just don't drive like a moron. I looked into all seasons and every tire shop recommended the snow tires over the all seasons.

Go with snow tires, drive slow, and you're good to go.

racebyu
12-01-07, 09:02 PM
I drove my V a week ago here in some major snow squalls south of Orangeville (North of Toronto) and had no problem
with my Hankook W300's. I did add as mentioned in this post 2 bags of sand in the trunks empty spare tire hole (80lbs).
Just keep the rpm low, upshift early and try not to shift in the corners and you will be fine. At least I was in snow covered
roads and a couple inches of snow. I worry more about the other idiots on the road then my own driving!

Twitch
12-02-07, 09:47 AM
Well, my Dunlop M3s came in Friday. Perfect timing, but.......couldn't find anybody to take off my runflats:duh:. Its snowing now and I have to go out in a bit. Streets are covered with a light sheet of snow.
Guess I'll let you guys know how a V handles with bald F1s in the rear.

FIVEOH!!!
12-02-07, 10:51 AM
I'm considering doing just the rears. Only because two of my tires are shot, and I dont wanna keep the RSAs anyway. That should be good enough for the few days we have snow on the streets. This way, I dont have to decided which tires to get till spring.

I would be carefull when doing that.. I once changed just the rear tires on a car and it was awful in the snow. We just wont get the same traction as when having 4 of the same tires. That was just my experience.

As far as driving the V in the snow.. .I just wont do it. I was caught in the snow last year and it was very minimal snow... I made it home but never again will the V see any snow. Thats why I have a 93 altima with Bizzaks!!

rand49er
12-02-07, 11:21 AM
... my V ran great with my new michelin alpines. ...Uh-h, say, Nick ... any chance of posting up some pics of all those rides of yours? :drool:

... bald F1s in the rear.:suspense:

Twitch
12-02-07, 11:58 AM
Just got back. The F1s are not totally bald but they are pretty bad.
The car was horrible. I expected it to be bad, but what bothered me, was that it was wheel hopping a bit it the snow. My bushings must be mush :mad:.
Anyway, the winter tires are going on this week, and we probably wont see snow again for a month :banghead:. Let you guys know the difference.

rand49er
12-02-07, 12:05 PM
... it was wheel hopping a bit it the snow. My bushings must be mush :mad:. ...I drove in snow a couple of times when the car was new (didn't have a winter beater at the time), and mine wheel hopped, too ... at slow speeds no less. Anyway, your bushings are probably okay.

BTW, glad you made it back alive. :rolleyes:

Black Sunshine
12-02-07, 01:23 PM
Streets are covered with a light sheet of snow.
Guess I'll let you guys know how a V handles with bald F1s in the rear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/Smileys/twak.gif That's 'bout the dumbest thing I've heard today. Keep tempting fate and be sure to send us pics of the wreckage.

ahahnu
12-03-07, 12:17 AM
Keep tempting fate and be sure to send us pics of the wreckage.
This almost happened to me tonight. I live on a pretty steep hill and tonight it was a sheet of black ice. As I backed out and started to proceed up I noticed some slip in the rear tires. I pulled back in to turn around and go down the hill. Big mistake. As soon as I got the noise pointed down the ride of my life started. The car started slipping and headed for the left as the road is crowned for draining. Now I was barely moving when this happened. Gravity was making me gain speed, i touched the left and the rear spun. Three 360s and came to a rest in a driveway. All at less then 5 mph I swear. After one more for good measure (360) I was able to negociate the rest of the hill and parked at the bottom. How I didn't really hit anything amazes me. I know I was stopped against a sewer drain, but I saw no dammage with the little light I had. We'll see in the morning I guess.
If this is the start this is going to be a really long winter.

veloce
12-03-07, 12:12 PM
I have said this before when this has come up but let me repeat. The V like all hipo cars needs 4 snows. Thus equiped and driven with caution it will be fine.I have an 04 it is my daily driver and Ski car for the family. We go to copper Mtn. all the time. I have 65k on the car as of now,so you see I mean what I say about it being my driver. Note I drove a 93 twin turbo RX-7 as my driver for 13 years and I put 4 snows on that and was fine except when the snow was very deep. 4 snows and prudence are all you need. Jeff