: Need a nav disk?

1FASTSS
11-13-07, 04:17 PM
Well, after picking up the car and driving it for a couple of weeks, the dealer had the owners manual and spare keys etc...well guess what...no nav disk with the car. :bomb:

How much are these going for and where do you get them at? Dealer?:crying:

RippyPartsDept
11-13-07, 06:39 PM
Call your salesperson and notify them of the situation and ask if they can help you out.

Once you're all set with a nav disc you should wait for a postcard from GM about subscribing to the nav updates. The postcard (or letter) will have a control number. Once you get it go to http://gmnavdisc.com and click on the subscription link across the top. Input your vin# and the control# they sent you. You will then be set up to have at least one free update disc (I think they don't send out the postcard/letter until you're almost at a year of ownership)

Alternatively, you can call the nav disc center and talk to someone to get all that done at 877-nav-disc

I strongly suggest that you get a free disc from your salesperson (they probably took yours out before it was sold to give to someone else who was missing their disc). Sometimes the cars don't get them at the factory, but most of the time someone will steal it, as they're worth around $200 each.

and $200 plus freight is what nav discs cost (unless there's stock available of the previous year's disc... but who wants the old road data anyways?)

so good luck with that

Coma
11-13-07, 06:58 PM
Can anyone rip their DVD and host via mininova or something, or better yet send me a burned one. I am getting a nav and wants a new disk. Plox.

Coma
11-13-07, 08:04 PM
Here is a better question. I am getting an Infiniti navigation DVD along with my factory nav unit. Seller claims it works the same as the Cadillac one. I am wondering, depending on how old the Infiniti disk is, is it worth it to get a new Cadillac disk? Better yet, how often are these disks updated? Every new year a car comes out?

RippyPartsDept
11-14-07, 01:53 PM
YES... new disc each year ... usually the newest disc is sold in new vehicles only then available to the general public for order after sock has depleted on the old disc (afaik... i may be wrong on that one)

heavymetals
11-14-07, 02:16 PM
Here is a better question. I am getting an Infiniti navigation DVD along with my factory nav unit. Seller claims it works the same as the Cadillac one. I am wondering, depending on how old the Infiniti disk is, is it worth it to get a new Cadillac disk? Better yet, how often are these disks updated? Every new year a car comes out?

Infinity discs will work, but not all are compatible.

Version 6.6 works.

Version 7.3 has not been tried (to my knowledge).

XM radio traffic may not work with either.

NIK
11-14-07, 02:59 PM
I received a notice from GM NAVDISK CENTER that there is a upgraded DVD available for my '05 CTS-V for $99.00. I was ready to order it, but upon reading their FAQ, it states that new roads maps and residences are not part of the upgrade (if I'm reading it right) and they may be available in future upgrades.

What's the story? What's the benefit of ordering the upgrade? What does it upgrade?

heavymetals
11-14-07, 03:14 PM
Are you sure it isn't the flash upgrade (which is a CD)?

Usually around this time of year they run a close out on the old map dvd.

RippyPartsDept
11-14-07, 05:45 PM
yeah, the old 06 disc will be discounted if there's stock available but there are some flash updates (usually done by a dealer, right?)

heavymetals
11-14-07, 07:13 PM
There has been only one flash update to my knowledge.

That fixes a "bug" in the firmware.

Most dealers are clueless on the flash.

JimmyH
11-14-07, 07:48 PM
FWIW

I received a new nav disc in the mail a couple weeks after I bought mine (it was certified used.) You might get one too. It came with the update CD, but it wouldn't install on mine, and the new nav disc worked anyway.

heavymetals
11-14-07, 08:12 PM
The nav flash will eject if your unit doesn't need it.