: Oil Pump Failure?

rdjiv
11-12-07, 09:25 PM
Ok, I need some help with this. I drove last weekend to San Diego (about a 7 hour trip) and parked the V. No problems during the trip - the car ran great. It remained parked for about 24 hours before I started her back up. When I did, the "No Oil Pressure-Shut Engine Off" alarm came up and the oil pressure display read 0. My suspicions were either a bad oil pressure sensor or oil pump. Dealer said oil pump was failing intermittently. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any advice?

I also discovered that like most everyone else, I too have a bad rear differential (the oil was leaking during the drive and depositing on the rear end). Luckily that was caught before it failed at 80mph.

Now the car is stuck in San Diego while i get to drive the loaner, an '08 CTS, for the next week.

darkman
11-12-07, 09:50 PM
Oil pump failure is not a routine problem. If the dealer is making the repair by all means let them. There are some other condions that can cause a loss in oil pressure that are more serious than just an oil pump. It can, for example, indicate excessive bearing clearances within the engine (rod, crank, cam) or even poroous or restricted oil galleries.

heavymetals
11-12-07, 10:36 PM
If you have no oil pressure you are gonna hear it :yup:

Mine did that (scared the sh*t out of me) after racing a Vette.

Was just a bad sensor, but it is a pain in the neck to get at.

Very easy if you remove the windshield wiper assy and facia.

rdjiv
11-13-07, 09:30 AM
thanks!

tweeter81
11-13-07, 10:39 AM

Mine did that (scared the sh*t out of me) after racing a Vette.

Was just a bad sensor, but it is a pain in the neck to get at.

Very easy if you remove the windshield wiper assy and facia.

Sorry, I have to say it...

You just said "assy and facia" hahaha :cookoo:

JonCR96Z
11-13-07, 08:45 PM

:yeah:
While the oil pressure is down listen for any noise, it should be obvious.

z06bigbird
11-13-07, 08:51 PM
Sorry for your headaches. Remember: When you get lemons, make lemonade. Motor and rear have a problem, but tranny looks ok. 2 out of three isn't bad.

You also get to drive an 08.

Hope things work out for you.

mlg
11-13-07, 08:59 PM
been there , done that, long story but had same warning, caddy towed car to dealer , oil pump replaced, etc etc call me 423 773 9162 for full story

ssmith100
11-13-07, 10:19 PM
Mine did the exact same (04 V) Drove it for four hours the day before, next day no oil pressure. They found a piece of rubber from the O-ring in the pick up tube. Apparently we aren't the only ones this has happened too. Replaced pump and haven't has any problems since.

Shane

rdjiv
11-14-07, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the info. Will get the V back on Friday with a hopefully fully fixed oil pump, replaced rear diff, and a bath. We'll see what the cause was.

CTSVetteMark
10-13-09, 12:04 PM
What did this end up being? I brought my '05 CTS-V to the dealer to fix the standard leaky rear differential; when I went to pick the car up, NO oil pressure. They kept it for 2 weeks, said it was fixed, but when I start the car, NO oil pressure; after about 5 seconds pressure comes up to about 30 psi; should be 40-45 for sure. Ideas? How much is it to diagnose/fix the oil pump?

Thanks!