: Turbo Charged STS Cadillac

MARK99STS
11-12-07, 03:01 PM
Hi all, I'm back,

I've been off the boards for a long while due to various reasons. I thought I would update everyone on my car. I still have her and now she is running great. About a year ago I found out the hard way that the factory rev limiter is a fuel cut, not a spark cut and I fried 2 pistons because it went lean. It had been running great up to that point. Since the motor was toast I decided to rebuild with forged components. The cylinder walls were scored so instead of getting another block and having to time sert it all over again, I got a super deal on a Darton sleeve. I also was advised to do cams. After waiting on all the parts to get back, I finally got it back together about April of this year.

I decided to go with a Holley 950 stand alone engine management system and a stand alone transmission controller from PCS(same company I got the piggyback system from). I now have forged pistons, forged rods, Darton sleeved block and stand alones for engine and tranny. I had to completely retune the fuel map as no one has ever run a stand alone in a stock STS before so I had to start from scratch. To make a long story shorter, the cams screwed me up as I tried for the entire summer season to tune the car to run with the cams and it just wasn't going to happen. I gave up out of frustration and let the car sit for about 2.5 months. I finally decided to put the stock cams back in and we did it without pulling the motor and completely retimed it in the car. Not an easy task. That's why I was so pissed because I new it was going to be a *smurf* to replace cams with the motor in the car.

Anyway.... the cams were put in about 4weeks ago and I completely retuned the car and NOW after being down almost a year, it runs great. The tranny controller is freakin awesome. I can control every aspect of the tranny. Shift points, line pressure, torque converter lock-up,on and on and on. I took it to the track Saturday and with slicks on the front with only 13 lbs in them, I still couldn't hook because the boost came on so strong and it was only about 45 degrees out. I ran a 12.5 sec @ 114mph spinning through most of 1st gear. I have a video to prove it. I destroyed a newer Mercedes AMG. He just couldn't catch me.

All other functions of the car work fine, all guages and instrument cluster. The stock computer is controlling everything else except engine and tranny. Again never been done before, so the experiment has been a huge success. I also have an electronic boost controller with a hi and low setting. I have it at 7psi for street and about 11psi the day I went to the track.

I will post the video as soon as I get it (someone else was filming)

Mark 99 STS

Cadillacboy
11-12-07, 03:07 PM
Welcome back !
Looking forward to seeing the vid
Great job ;) :thumbsup:

boricuacaddy
11-12-07, 03:13 PM
I was wondering what had happen. I am glad you got all the issues worked out. I can't wait to see the video of you openning up a can of whoopass on that mercedes AMG.

David

AJxtcman
11-12-07, 03:14 PM
Hi all, I'm back,

I've been off the boards for a long while due to various reasons. I thought I would update everyone on my car. I still have her and now she is running great. About a year ago I found out the hard way that the factory rev limiter is a fuel cut, not a spark cut and I fried 2 pistons because it went lean. It had been running great up to that point. Since the motor was toast I decided to rebuild with forged components. The cylinder walls were scored so instead of getting another block and having to time sert it all over again, I got a super deal on a Darton sleeve. I also was advised to do cams. After waiting on all the parts to get back, I finally got it back together about April of this year.

I decided to go with a Holley 950 stand alone engine management system and a stand alone transmission controller from PCS(same company I got the piggyback system from). I now have forged pistons, forged rods, Darton sleeved block and stand alones for engine and tranny. I had to completely retune the fuel map as no one has ever run a stand alone in a stock STS before so I had to start from scratch. To make a long story shorter, the cams screwed me up as I tried for the entire summer season to tune the car to run with the cams and it just wasn't going to happen. I gave up out of frustration and let the car sit for about 2.5 months. I finally decided to put the stock cams back in and we did it without pulling the motor and completely retimed it in the car. Not an easy task. That's why I was so pissed because I new it was going to be a *smurf* to replace cams with the motor in the car.

Anyway.... the cams were put in about 4weeks ago and I completely retuned the car and NOW after being down almost a year, it runs great. The tranny controller is freakin awesome. I can control every aspect of the tranny. Shift points, line pressure, torque converter lock-up,on and on and on. I took it to the track Saturday and with slicks on the front with only 13 lbs in them, I still couldn't hook because the boost came on so strong and it was only about 45 degrees out. I ran a 12.5 sec @ 114mph spinning through most of 1st gear. I have a video to prove it. I destroyed a newer Mercedes AMG. He just couldn't catch me.

All other functions of the car work fine, all guages and instrument cluster. The stock computer is controlling everything else except engine and tranny. Again never been done before, so the experiment has been a huge success. I also have an electronic boost controller with a hi and low setting. I have it at 7psi for street and about 11psi the day I went to the track.

Mark 99 STS

I think I have a race. :hmm:
This will be a hard kill.
I better fix my trans and go looking for mark. :D
:stirpot:

dwight.j.carter
11-12-07, 09:45 PM
Hi all, I'm back,

Mark 99 STS

Welcome back Mark I am glad your car is running good again. I love the times your putting out that is even faster then the STS-V. I also saw the video you have on youtube of the Golf with the Northstar and it is absolutely hillarious to see that car with that engine in it.

msta293412
11-13-07, 09:30 AM
Definetley welcome back! Dont be a stranger anymore , hope youre here to stay.....I cant wait to see that video....That stand alone computer sounds interesting, and apparantly you know how to use it...I wonder if it can be used to tune our non-turbo Northeys?........Mmmmmm

STSforfun
11-13-07, 08:16 PM
Hi all, I'm back,

Mark 99 STS

Hmmm!
I like this Idea too! How hard was it to do? I'm looking at the haltech unit Its seem's more plug and play than the HOLLEY.
Also can you spec out where you got your forged piston and stuff to rebuild you engine.
I got a 95 STS so this sound cool with the three puter.

Hey anyone know what the trigger is for the Cadillacs?

Craig
Craig

Craig

97Concours1
11-14-07, 01:03 PM
Can you post a picture of the turbo installation? Was it a kit or custom? I've done some custom turbo systems and was thinking about it on my 97 Deville. Gotta luv positive manifold pressure (boost).

eldorado1
11-14-07, 01:36 PM
Video! Video!

msta293412
11-14-07, 03:29 PM
YES Video Video!!!!

MARK99STS
11-14-07, 04:44 PM
Hmmm!
I like this Idea too! How hard was it to do? I'm looking at the haltech unit Its seem's more plug and play than the HOLLEY.
Also can you spec out where you got your forged piston and stuff to rebuild you engine.
I got a 95 STS so this sound cool with the three puter.

Hey anyone know what the trigger is for the Cadillacs?

Craig
Craig

Craig

Hey guys,

Please understand that any stand alone engine management system will work. It just depends on how simple or how much money you want to spend. Remember that if yo go this route you will always have a "service engine" light on. And if you do this you HAVE to use a stand alone tranny controller.

Unless you go with the way AJxtcman is talking about with an LS1 computer, but unless I could see proof it would work properly to control the Northstar and 4t80e I wouldn't want to risk blowing the motor. You don't get a second chance if you run really lean with boost.

I am using Arias pistons and Eagle rods.
I will try to get the video ASAP.

Mark 99STS

STSforfun
11-14-07, 07:32 PM
Not quiet what I was looking for with the check engine light on.
Cool on the forged parts. Are they for a cadillac or did you just find matching parts?

Craig

AJxtcman
11-14-07, 08:52 PM
Hey guys,

Please understand that any stand alone engine management system will work. It just depends on how simple or how much money you want to spend. Remember that if yo go this route you will always have a "service engine" light on. And if you do this you HAVE to use a stand alone tranny controller.

Unless you go with the way AJxtcman is talking about with an LS1 computer, but unless I could see proof it would work properly to control the Northstar and 4t80e I wouldn't want to risk blowing the motor. You don't get a second chance if you run really lean with boost.

I am using Arias pistons and Eagle rods.
I will try to get the video ASAP.

Mark 99STS

http://www.supercarsite.net/shelby/series-1/1998

msta293412
11-15-07, 09:41 AM
If it makes a big difference, I wouldnt mind the check engine....and depending how much for the two stand alones (pcm and tranny)...I would be interested in where to get them/ how to use them.....thoughts anybody?......

MARK99STS
11-15-07, 10:07 AM
If it makes a big difference, I wouldnt mind the check engine....and depending how much for the two stand alones (pcm and tranny)...I would be interested in where to get them/ how to use them.....thoughts anybody?......

It will cost you about $2100 for both of them.

MARK99STS
11-15-07, 10:08 AM
Not quiet what I was looking for with the check engine light on.
Cool on the forged parts. Are they for a cadillac or did you just find matching parts?

Craig

They were from CHRFAB in California.

MARK99STS
11-15-07, 10:22 AM
Can you post a picture of the turbo installation? Was it a kit or custom? I've done some custom turbo systems and was thinking about it on my 97 Deville. Gotta luv positive manifold pressure (boost).

The turbo was completely custom. All the piping had to be run under the cradle and everything is hidden behind the front facia.

CadillacSTS42005
11-15-07, 03:01 PM
Mark
you MAY wanna watch this
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/123046-mark-99-sts-aint-fastest-anymore.html

STSforfun
11-15-07, 05:48 PM
They were from CHRFAB in California.

Ok thanks, I like what you have done but I want all the do-dats to work too.
Second I thing someone has to come up with a pcm that can control everything and thats plug and play. I know there out there. I'm looking at Haltech right now I just need to learn how to do all this stuff. So for now I hoping AJ or anyone else can come up with some prove HP number to sway me one way or the other.

BTW did you do any porting or cam changes to your motor when you rebuild it? Header? Cool pick of you car.

Craig

danbuc
11-16-07, 07:25 PM
Mark
you MAY wanna watch this
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/123046-mark-99-sts-aint-fastest-anymore.html

Holy f*ckin' sh*t!.....That...is BAD ASS!!!

I had an idea like that once that involved the front and rear sub-frames from a late model f-body....looks like someone beat me to the punch. Now all I gotta do is find enough money to have them do that to mine......

CadillacSTS42005
11-16-07, 08:15 PM
about 60k to do it
i calld them

AJxtcman
11-16-07, 08:24 PM
CadillacSTS2003 Give me 60K and I will make you have more power than you can handle. It will not break and it will not have a carb:thumbsup:

CadillacSTS42005
11-16-07, 08:40 PM
rofl
who said im paying that
at 60K ill buy a STS-V

AJxtcman
11-16-07, 09:33 PM
rofl
who said im paying that
at 60K ill buy a STS-V

That is almost my point. I am not sure if I would get the STS-V.
My turd run the same time or just a tick faster:hide:

AlBundy
11-16-07, 09:36 PM
Good to see Mark back on the forum.

msta293412
11-17-07, 09:52 AM
The one to beat everybody is actually the XLR-V. Ive seen stock ones run in the 12's....D3 Cadillac has a power package (tuning up the SC, and a few other tweaks) getting over 600HP out of it......Imagine the times then.....

msta293412
11-17-07, 09:53 AM
Oh, and thankyou MARK, for adressing my question about the standalones...:-)