: New Tires for my 2006 STS

LoveMyCad
11-12-07, 11:01 AM
My 2006 STS is in need of new tires. I am limited in my selection of tires due to the staggered sizes. It is also a leased vehicle till 1/2009. Has anyone had any experience with either Falken 512, Kumho AST or Firestone Wide Ovals? These tires are much less expensive then the garbage Michelins MXMH that came with the car. These tires are also "W" rated rather then "V" rated that were original equipment. Any thoughts, or experience is appreciated.

Caroutisine
11-12-07, 02:12 PM
You don't need to limit your choices due to the staggered sizes unless you want to. I run snow tires that are the same size as the OEM fronts on all 4 wheels with no problems. I think others have matched the rear tire size on all 4 corners as well with no trouble.

pjbizjak
11-12-07, 02:42 PM
I think you should look into Bridgestone Serenity, they have your size and the tire has great reviews. Check out Tirerack.com.

LoveMyCad
11-12-07, 06:07 PM
Bridgestone Serentities are not available for the rears. I tried using a slighly larger tire in the front (235/55/17 rather then 235/50/17) and my traction control goes on at speeds over 70 mph and the car starts to slow down. Also, the rear wheels are 1" wider then the fronts, so even if I use the same tires all around, the overall size would still be different and it still might effect my traction control.

pjbizjak
11-12-07, 07:09 PM
I checked with Tirerack and for a 07 STS with staggered tires the Bridgestone Serenities are available, size 235/50/18 & 255/45/18. If you have 17" wheels with the same size mentioned above then yes Bridgestone doesn't make the Serenity in your size.

Force-1
11-13-07, 11:47 PM
I traded my OEM Michelins for Kumho Ecsta ASX tires before the OEM had 2000 miles on them. To date I have put about 4000 on the Kumhos and really like them.

ascariSTS
11-14-07, 12:47 AM
Toyo T1R has the size... I threw away my Michellins and put toyos...

It's good, soft, AA traction, high temp, low noise... The only disadvantage is you don't get a good steering feedback with them...

I mean, Michellins are faster in steering response...

Plus toyos are cheap... I got 4 tires for about 520 $

Bill Smith
11-28-07, 05:28 PM
I installed a set of Good Year Eagle f1's on my 05 STS4 to replace the original Michelins. They are Z rated, same size as the original Michelins, aggressive all season tread design, (I live in Toronto)and after roughly 1000 kms I am very happy with them and would reccomend them. Got them at Discount Tire in Troy Michigan for about $1000 installed with full warranty.

Only problem was the installer could not reprogam my TPMS and I will bring it back to my dealer for recalibration.

robert
11-28-07, 06:39 PM
I replaced my STS tires with the Goodyear F1's and I am very happy with them, they look good, car handles good and traction and braking is very good. My TMPS did not have to be reset or anything, after the 4 tires were installed, the computer was monitoring all 4 wheels as required.

CTS11723
12-06-07, 01:20 PM
I recently put Kumho Ecsta ASX on the front of my 05 STS. They were very highly rated recently by Consumer Reports. They did very well driving through the snowstorm that hit on Sunday. We were driving from Chicago to Albany, NY and the roads were bad. I'm going to replace the rears too even though they don't need it.

DG2
12-09-07, 01:32 PM
I installed the new Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons a few months ago. I have a STS V8 AWD and the tires were just tested in our first snow and performed great !!! On dry roads they make the car drive terrific as well. Time will tell if they last longer then the OEM Micheliens...

Rojak
12-09-07, 02:50 PM
My STS has 17" staggered sized 17" and the Michelin OEM's were a huge disappointment--only got 14K before they needed replaced three months ago. I've never had such poor results from tires before. A new set of those would've cost around $1,200 all-in. So I opted for a set of Kumhos at less than half the price, from Tire Rack. They were teriffic to deal with--even drop-shipped them to a local Tire Kingdom store. So far I couldn't be happier. I honestly cannot tell the difference in handling, cornering, ride, etc. I'll never buy Michelins again.

thiamgo
12-09-07, 05:40 PM
Go for the Kumhos. Sooo much better dry and wet traction, less drumming and beating on rough pavements and expansion slots. The Michs are real junk. And then the price they want for them. Needed only one at 12K mls 'coz of an irrepairable puncture. The Caddy dealer quoted me $340. Almost the price of THREE Kumho tires. So what do you think I did. Replaced both rear tires with Kumhos and am $100 ahead with better tires. Still pondering to replace the front tires too.

LuvMyV8
12-11-07, 12:19 PM
I had the Kuhmos until last week. I replaced them with Nittos and like them much better. They are a good bit quieter.

Benjamin Simon
12-11-07, 12:38 PM
I need some new tires for my STS. I was going to put the wider tires on all of them. (255 45 18)
I have been reading some reviews on the Nexen N3000 Ultra High Performance Summer tires. I can get them installed for about $450. Has anyone had these tires before?
On my old lady's 02 Cougar, the shop recommeded the Nexen brand (N5000) and they where very cheap. We have only had them for 3K miles, but I am totally pleased. Very smooth and quite.
My concern is I think my STS is a race car. Will these Nexens hold up to me?
Also, how will these do in snow? I live in the south, but I might be driving into snow for christmas. I have never had V shaped tread. What can I expect?

STScadillac99
12-11-07, 01:36 PM
hello all... i have a somewhat related question. i just bought a set of 18" x 8" wheels for my 2005 STS V8. i am replacing the staggered 17" wheels. what size can i run all the way around on these 18x8 wheels? i was thinking (hoping) 255-45-18.. i dont want it to look too low profile and "get lost" in my wheel wells, but dont want em "too tall" either....any other suggestions? thanks... John
ps. heya benjamin are your wheels 18x8 all around?

z06bigbird
12-12-07, 11:58 AM
I could be wrong, but I heard that the Falkens are priced low because they do not have the quality of higher priced tires. Not sure specifically what that means. I might buy them if I was driving just around town. If I was regularly taking long highway trips, I would likely buy a brand name tire.

Benjamin Simon
12-12-07, 01:24 PM
hello all... i have a somewhat related question. i just bought a set of 18" x 8" wheels for my 2005 STS V8. i am replacing the staggered 17" wheels. what size can i run all the way around on these 18x8 wheels? i was thinking (hoping) 255-45-18.. i dont want it to look too low profile and "get lost" in my wheel wells, but dont want em "too tall" either....any other suggestions? thanks... John
ps. heya benjamin are your wheels 18x8 all around?

Yes, the rim will take 255 45 18 or 245 50 18. I plan on doing all 255 45 18. Anyone use Nexen on any car?

pjbizjak
12-13-07, 05:20 PM
If you change from a 17" wheel to an 18" wheel make sure that the overall height of the new wheels/tires match the origionals so as not to throw off the speedo and computer.