: Fender mod

badcaddy
11-11-07, 08:18 PM
Well, I now have my 20" wheels in place and there is still a very subtle fender rub when I hit a compression going uphill. I looked for the site of the rub on the rear fender and it turns out that there is a fender well lip along the underside that measures about a half inch. The wheel is rubbing on the very inner 1 mm or so of the lip. I wondered whether anyone has tried to flare this inner lip upward or tried to compress it inward? I would think a body shop might be able to do this, but would anyone be kind enough to offer any other suggestions before I screw something up?

Bueller
11-11-07, 09:33 PM
Check this: http://www.rollyourfender.com/ This was a common mod on G35s and 350Zs with big wide wheels. I haven't done it but this is the tool. Good luck.

ronr
11-11-07, 10:23 PM
I couldn't tell what the rollyourfender guy is renting the tool for but it's about $250 at Eastwood. I was actually thinking about doing this too.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=6159&itemType=PRODUCT

SkullV
11-11-07, 10:45 PM
Roll your fender is only for 4 or 5 lug wheels....

rblimas
11-11-07, 11:05 PM
just have them cut off some of the fender lip... then you will be able to lower it lol

randycsvt
11-11-07, 11:40 PM
take a dremel to it and grind away the portion that is rubbing on your wheels or tires.

badcaddy
11-12-07, 08:10 PM
I thought the fender roller was a great idea....but then I saw the 4 or 5 lug issue. I still like the idea of rolling better than grinding with the Dremel....I guess one would use the grinding stone and just take the lip down, and then I would imagine having to apply some type of edge "softener" so that it isn't so sharp...any other rolling suggestions?

bleeee
11-12-07, 08:20 PM
id be worried about rust if you dremel it

bpitas
11-12-07, 08:27 PM
This is going to sound ghetto, but in the old days the 5.0 guys used to just use a wooden baseball bat. :-) Keeps the paint on the metal so you don't get rust, and since it's tapered it's easy to get the right clearance between the tire and the fender as you roll it along...

badcaddy
11-12-07, 08:55 PM
I like it! Tell me more....do you just wedge the bat against the top of the wheel, pull, and roll?

randycsvt
11-13-07, 12:18 AM
I have used the baseball bat method before. Use a hair dryer to heat up the panel you are rolling some. I think it makes it less likely for the paint to crack if you wack it to hard. Place the bat up against the area you want to roll. Hit the bat with a hammer. THis should be an appropriate method because you only need a little more clearance.

alcast082
11-13-07, 10:12 AM
Take it to a shop pay anywhere from 150 to 250 for it and have it professionaly done, avoid the hassles.

I rolled my fenders with a bat when I had my civic in highschool but I wouldn't try it on a V

tweeter81
11-13-07, 11:46 AM
I too agree that unless you are very experienced at something like this, I would just take it to a body shop. I have had this done on my fronts and will probably do the rears sometime in the future. Like it was stated before, just make sure they use a heat gun to warm up the paint to make it more pliable so as to avoid hairline cracking. The place I had mine done (Jim's Exotic Bodies in Lafayette, CO) used a hard rubber hose and heat gun to roll the front fender. They just placed up under the fender and rolled the car forward and backward until the whole fender was done and now that inner lip just points completely up, think of a U instead of a V shape. This is absolutely a must if you go any wider than stock wheels and tires.