: anyone tried running a small shot in our cars?

texanwitharake
11-11-07, 03:39 PM
i got this car as a gift from my grandfather and theres just been a couple things stuck in my mind that i wanted to try with this car. ive got a small bottle i like to hook up in my eclipse to squeeze out that extra little bit of power at the track on race days and i cant seem to get the catera outta the 16s for the life of me so i was wonderin if any one has tried putting on say a 50 shot the car i would be trying it in is a 2000 catera 45xxx. ive been working with a dei cry02 system and it has been able ot give it a little more pep but im trying for somthing more. any ideas or opinions?

Resilient
11-11-07, 06:49 PM
.. ive been working with a dei cry02 system and it has been able ot give it a little more pep...If I knew what you were even talking about... my guess I still wouldn't be able to suggest more... LOL

texanwitharake
11-11-07, 10:13 PM
...If I knew what you were even talking about... my guess I still wouldn't be able to suggest more... LOL

its a co2 tank that freezes a peice of metal mounted in the intake tat drops intake temps about 20-50 degrees its also got a fuel bar that freezes and cools down your fuel...it added about 25ish hp to my cat and the shot would be a shot of nitrous....

cateraowner
11-11-07, 10:37 PM
its a co2 tank that freezes a peice of metal mounted in the intake tat drops intake temps about 20-50 degrees its also got a fuel bar that freezes and cools down your fuel...it added about 25ish hp to my cat and the shot would be a shot of nitrous....

can you post any pictures or links of the co2, I would love to try that. but wouldn't know where to start.

texanwitharake
11-11-07, 11:15 PM
here is a link to the kit http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=72 if you want to build it your self its only like 120ish ill post up part number were you can get everything later

TSS
11-12-07, 10:03 AM
...If I knew what you were even talking about... my guess I still wouldn't be able to suggest more... LOL

Glad it is not only me! Way beyond my techno-jarven IQ. I do know the giga-watt flux capacitor worked well in Back to the Future though.... Maybe that could be tried next. :)

texanwitharake
11-13-07, 12:56 AM
well if your looking for a new flux boy o boy do i have a site for you they have everything from muffler bearings to blinker fluid give em a look saved me so much time searching the internet. http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=28

PEETYZ
11-13-07, 09:41 AM
Blinker fluid that reminds me i need to check mine lol ha ha ha and my muffler bearing is going out too now heres what the catera needs ill bet it adds 100 hp http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=27d64d45d5b01c8d03852987c13673f8

TSS
11-13-07, 09:49 AM
Blinker fluid that reminds me i need to check mine lol ha ha ha and my muffler bearing is going out too now heres what the catera needs ill bet it adds 100 hp http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=27d64d45d5b01c8d03852987c13673f8

LOL. I need to change the air in my tires next weekend too.

yellowxhoodie
11-13-07, 12:42 PM
hahahaha. great site. finally i have some entertainment at work.

MyOpel
11-13-07, 02:57 PM
Do you plan on using a Dry system or a wet system? On a dry system Iíd recommend trying a 25 shot on a dyno with a/f ratio to see how the engine reacts to it, if it doesnít become super lean then try the 50 shot. On a wet system I think we're ok till about 75 hp but because there isn't anyone who can tune our cars I probably wouldn't go any bigger. After 75 hp I would want to retard the timing. Also I believe that our cars have some kind of power management below 4000 rpm in 1st and 2nd gear, so I wouldn't recommend activating the nitrous below 4000rpm.

Let us know how it works out for you.

yellowxhoodie
11-13-07, 03:17 PM
actually now that i think about it, idk if i would recommend this at all. Stock Catera Transmissions can only take 238 ft/lbs of tq. So be careful man, u dont want to end up having to replace the whole trans just because you wanted to have a little fun.

MyOpel
11-13-07, 03:54 PM
I think the trans will be fine with the occasional 50 shot. Keep in mind the trans was rated for applications that would continuously see 238 lb/ft. Just don't run back to back at the drag strip, let the trans cool down between runs.

CateraMV6
11-13-07, 04:01 PM
I heard someone using something like 50 or 75 shot and the guy blew the rear diff... so I am not sure what he was trying to do but I think our diffs are weak and also a GTO replacement one might be a plust...

Other then that you wont notice a damn thing with a 25shot except maybe just a slightly faster acceleration... and the reason why I say that is cuz i have messsed around with my buddys Turbo car and he has gone through with some dyno numbers and ... the thing doesnt feel any different with few pounds of boost difference which equates to about 25hp... so just my 2cents...

if you succeed thou please let us know what you think of it and maybe more people will follow... I cant afford to experiment with mine at this moment but I will be the next one to do this if it turns out right...

MyOpel
11-13-07, 05:12 PM
I wouldnít worry about the diff with a 50hp shot engaged at 4000rpm, if anything is going to happen itíll be at the launch. Unless Iím mistaken (but I donít think I am) CateraV was running a stock diff with his 500hp 427 until about a year ago when he had the Australian diff installed. Iím not implying that our diff are suitable for this kind of power, just that 250 hp shouldnít be too much. Also the Omega had a diesel option that put out about 230 lb/ft.

I only suggested the 25 shot for testing on the dyno before going to the 50 shot. If it runs lean or there is detonation youíre not likely to damage the engine with a 25 shot.

yellowxhoodie
11-13-07, 06:06 PM
dont the omegas have different diff's to begin with? i know they have the manual option. wish we had that

MyOpel
11-13-07, 06:48 PM
They did have different ratios depending on the motor and trans but the diff is the same, size, case ect...

yellowxhoodie
11-13-07, 06:49 PM
well best of lick to whoever tries it. make sure you get it on video, because if it goes well i wanna see it, and if it doesnt...i def. wanna see it. haha.

PEETYZ
11-13-07, 07:05 PM
omega have dif ecu's im interested in this if someone does it let us all know =)

Philo92
11-13-07, 11:45 PM
Guys, I have used the NOS on my 99 Cat. I was able to get the heavy dog to do 14.9. I also have a Steinmetz exhaust, updated MAF, custom RAM air intake and have taken about 200 lbs of useless crap off the chassis. It ran OK but I wouldn't suggest it for too long. Every time I shot the bottle I got like 8 codes that had to be reset. I never had it dynoed with the NOS but it really helped the Cat move. Good Luck!

texanwitharake
11-13-07, 11:55 PM
well ill deff video tape it and ive never seen a 50 shot damage a car you can run a 50 shot on a lawn mower im just afraid when i hit it some "saftey feature" is gonna kick in and either kill my car or got cause some sort of a backfire/explsion.....then again as the saying goes "never do anything you wouldnt want to explain to the parametics"

MyOpel
11-14-07, 02:11 AM
Guys, I have used the NOS on my 99 Cat. I was able to get the heavy dog to do 14.9. I also have a Steinmetz exhaust, updated MAF, custom RAM air intake and have taken about 200 lbs of useless crap off the chassis. It ran OK but I wouldn't suggest it for too long. Every time I shot the bottle I got like 8 codes that had to be reset. I never had it dynoed with the NOS but it really helped the Cat move. Good Luck!
:cool: How much nitrous did you put through the motor and what were your times without the nitrous?

yellowxhoodie
11-14-07, 12:21 PM
i wanna see a timeslip.

Philo92
11-16-07, 04:26 PM
I ran a 50 shot through the motor and my original times were in the low 16's high 15's. I can't produce a slip, but the next time we do the 1/4 mile, I can take a pic of the onboard computer that is attached to my OBDII port. BTW, the best thing about my car is that is looks basically stock except for a blacked out grill and blacked out side mirrors and the missing fog lights. HAVE FUN FELLOW CAT LOVERS!