: awd in the rain

loman
11-11-07, 09:10 AM
I drive 2006 v6 awd , and i mashed the pedal to the floor just to see what
kind of wheel spin i would get from a dead stop.... none, just a fantastic
controlled launch , straight ahead. I was amazed .Maybe the engine isnt
tourqey enough as the v8, so i was wondering, does the v8 perform the same way.I am slowly being convinced that the v6 in this car is pretty much all you need,as i thought going with the v6 was a huge compromise . I am very happy with the performance , looks , and handling of this car. I am still looking for the perfect seating position though , as i still play with the controls as i drive along. Much better ride than my previous STS .All in all,it`s a great car.

bigdog9586
11-11-07, 01:58 PM
It took me at least a month of messing with the seat till I got it just right for me.
=================

I drive 2006 v6 awd , and i mashed the pedal to the floor just to see what
kind of wheel spin i would get from a dead stop.... none, just a fantastic
controlled launch , straight ahead. I was amazed .Maybe the engine isnt
tourqey enough as the v8, so i was wondering, does the v8 perform the same way.I am slowly being convinced that the v6 in this car is pretty much all you need,as i thought going with the v6 was a huge compromise . I am very happy with the performance , looks , and handling of this car. I am still looking for the perfect seating position though , as i still play with the controls as i drive along. Much better ride than my previous STS .All in all,it`s a great car.

Benjamin Simon
11-12-07, 01:53 AM
The N* hardly gets me from A to B. I think the only solution is a V.

AllWheelEric
11-12-07, 07:58 PM
Benjamin, that's funny!

loman, I have the V8 AWD and have yet to spin the tires in the rain, including some mild attempts to do so when pulling out of a stop sign and simultaneously turning. I want to experience the stability control but apparently the only way to do that is in snow.

Eric

loman
11-13-07, 01:40 PM
Allwheel,
i got the stabilitrack to work on the previous 2000 sts i drove. I came off the
hwy from the centre lane with the light changing to yellow, i hung onto the steering wheel as i turned right, pushed the gas pedal to the floor half way out of the turn, and nothing happened. The car applied the brakes for me
and shut off the gas supply , as the traffic started bearing down on me
since the light changed. A couple of seconds went by before the gas started
flowing and i was able to accelerate to put some distance between me and the rest of the pack. It was a tad embarrassing.
Lesson learned ...... no drifting in a cadillac .

Heavy_Metal
11-13-07, 11:13 PM
Benjamin, that's funny!

loman, I have the V8 AWD and have yet to spin the tires in the rain, including some mild attempts to do so when pulling out of a stop sign and simultaneously turning. I want to experience the stability control but apparently the only way to do that is in snow.

Eric

I agree, my 05 STS V8 AWD takes off from a stoplight in the rain just like it's on a dry road. The other cars look like they are sitting still in the rear mirror. If you want to experience the stability control, though, just go a bit too fast on the exit ramp in the rain. Thats why I changed the original tires to Pilot Sport A/S. The A/S tires are much more stable on the turns in the rain. Either way, take it easy in the rain and snow. ;)

justgreat
11-15-07, 03:33 PM
the great thing about the 3.6 is the final drive ratio: in the rwd model it's a 3.42 and i can easily run through the rubber on the rears...most of that is attributable to the 3.42's...the downside is she's turning over 2k at 60 mph and and the hiway ride is noisier and more thirsty with the 3.42 rearend...but, for me i knew this going into the car and most if not all of my driving is local where i want the low end punch, which this car has.

the awd model has a 3.23 final drive, which has a little less acceleration but better mpg and a quieter hiway ride.

of course, the 08's take care of that with the 6 speed and a 3.42 in the 3.6 rwd model.

c5 rv
11-15-07, 04:18 PM
Here's an interesting observation about the handling of an AWD SRX V8 from a former owner:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-dts-forum-2006-beyond/122743-dts-handling-snow.html#post1288700