: !CAGS causing reverse lockout malfunction??

Jon
11-10-07, 05:23 PM
I've never had this problem before, but the other day in 4th when I went to 5th it didn't lock me outta reverse. It only happened once. Would a !CAGS going bad cause this to happen?

mike041357
11-10-07, 05:26 PM
Nope. 2 separate circuits. 2 separate solenoids. I'm not even sure you could mis-install the !CAGS to make that happen. And since it only happened one time.

Jon
11-10-07, 05:32 PM
Nope. 2 separate circuits. 2 separate solenoids. I'm not even sure you could mis-install the !CAGS to make that happen. And since it only happened one time.
If the !CAGS malfunctions would it make the tranny think the car's stopped, therefore removing the lockout?

mike041357
11-10-07, 05:42 PM
Sorry, Jon. All the !GAGS does is "re-route" the circuit and only when the CAGS is trying to operate. So after you're up to temp, and in 1st gear, and less than 20% throttle. Any other time, the !CAGS doesn't even come into the picture.

I think I've seen a mention here on the forum of going into reverse instead of 5th. Try a search to see what you can come up with. I'm sure it freaked you out, but if it never happens again.....

Jon
11-10-07, 05:43 PM
thanks

urbanski
11-10-07, 06:02 PM
yeah, bad lockout selenoid. dealer job. i thnk heavy and/or reed had it

CTSV_Rob
11-10-07, 06:44 PM
yeah, bad lockout selenoid. dealer job. i thnk heavy and/or reed had it
Not too surprizing that Reed and/or Heavy had this problem. They both like to modify the cars and the electronics are of special interest to at least one of them.

Nothing wrong with that though :thumbsup:

heavymetals
11-11-07, 01:12 AM
It was me! :thepan:

Not uncommon problem either.

I have very funny story about when I took it in for the problem.

Idiot tech/newbie/WTF says that the service manager and I will have to take a ride to duplicate the problem. I told him when I slam it into reverse, they can forget the solenoid and order a trans. The service manager walks up, (he knew me by rep) asked what the problem was and listened to me when I told him I thought it was the reverse lockout solenoid. They replaced it and the problem went away.

I ain't right all the time, but more often then not I have a pretty good idea of what the problem is.

My problem showed up downshifting from 6th into REVERSE (well almost as I don't force issues)!

Humanoid
11-12-07, 09:44 PM
That happened to me once as well. I got the grinding but didnt try to shove the thing into reverse. It only happened once but I suspect that will be a problem for me in the future.

50 4Ever
11-12-07, 10:50 PM
I expermented with mine one time. I found out that at slow speeds the lockout worked just fine (the reverse gate was locked, in neutral below 5th you could not move shifter to the right). But that was not the case at highway speeds, you could move the shifter to the right into the reverse gate.

Is this the sign of a bad Reverse Lockout Selenoid?