: Splash shield....

Scotty7751
11-10-07, 02:26 PM
:hmm:Well driving down the highway last night and all of a sudden i hear a really loud scrapping sound when i get below 60. So i slow down at a light and jump out and the WHOLE engine splash shield is dragging and bent alll up. Does anyone know if it is covered under warranty cus 2 times before i took it in and i had them fix it haning down but all it had now is 2 plugs holding it on from last night and i just went ahead and pulled it off. it is gonna need a full new one this sucks...

But has anyone had this happen to them?

atdeneve
11-10-07, 02:35 PM
Yeah, mine's always hanging loose, too. I'm missing some push pins, though. They always seem to come off. Even my wheel wells have slipped over the pins themselves. Haven't had the splash shield rip off yet, though. Should probably get some new push pins in there, right quick.

They should take care of you. They've seen it loose two time before. S'not like it's a big deal, ya know.

darkman
11-10-07, 02:37 PM
This is not happened to me, but it should be covered by either the GM warranty or the Dealership standing behind its own previous repairs.

theloanman219
11-11-07, 11:51 PM
mine is off too. Im going to bring it to them tuesday to see if they will put it back on.

Rey
11-12-07, 11:06 AM
The push pins are not the best fasteners, but they really work nicely to reduce production costs.
To the extent possible I replaced the push pin fasteners with zip ties. It is a hassle to undo and replace, but the splash shield is very secure now.

Chef
11-12-07, 11:24 AM
:hmm:Well driving down the highway last night and all of a sudden i hear a really loud scrapping sound when i get below 60. So i slow down at a light and jump out and the WHOLE engine splash shield is dragging and bent alll up. Does anyone know if it is covered under warranty cus 2 times before i took it in and i had them fix it haning down but all it had now is 2 plugs holding it on from last night and i just went ahead and pulled it off. it is gonna need a full new one this sucks...

But has anyone had this happen to them?

Weird -

Last night same exact happened to me - Got underneath and freed her

Scotty7751
11-12-07, 11:24 AM
is it bad to not have it on? will my belts get wet and slip?

Chef
11-12-07, 11:31 AM
I'd worry more about rocks and junk getting tossed up in there and running over something that might eventually damage parts...

...but it looks waay cleaner with it off:sneaky:

p.s. - I had zip ties too on 70% but they weren't tight enough and 30% did the sag and drag which did me in

Scotty7751
11-12-07, 11:39 AM
yeah it was embarassing to pull up to a light and hear KKKEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSHHHHHHHH as you slow down.

AirCav
11-12-07, 12:35 PM
I had the bumper cover, etc, off to powder coat my grills and decided to replace all of those ragged out plastic retaining clips when I put it back together. I'm not sure that they are meant to be reused.

The FAQ listed http://www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/page/page/584919.htm so I ordered some from there. Worked great. They are a lot tighter than the used ones. (dirty joke there, somewhere)

Scotty7751
11-12-07, 07:31 PM
I had the bumper cover, etc, off to powder coat my grills and decided to replace all of those ragged out plastic retaining clips when I put it back together. I'm not sure that they are meant to be reused.

The FAQ listed http://www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/page/page/584919.htm so I ordered some from there. Worked great. They are a lot tighter than the used ones. (dirty joke there, somewhere)

HAHA :thepan:

V-Love
11-13-07, 12:07 PM
The push pins are not the best fasteners, but they really work nicely to reduce production costs.
To the extent possible I replaced the push pin fasteners with zip ties. It is a hassle to undo and replace, but the splash shield is very secure now.

This is a great cheap way to do it. I drilled a couple small holes so I could thread the zip tie through.
I have been running without the soap box and plastic cowl up top. Is that bad?

CadzillaTN
08-11-08, 07:28 PM
mine is also hanging on. Autozone or any other parts place carries the grommets for 3-4 bucks, which work very well but add up.. I consider this defective...it should have its own shield for parking lot blocks!..
Iim including this on my final factory warranty visit. THis is just strictly cosmetic. paint, trim sh*t, center caps they fubared, etc etc... you know- stuff thats "not covered" anymore. Least they could do for buying a $2500 ext warr

Naf
08-12-08, 01:21 AM
HAHAHAHA,

Three steps ahead of you all...I weighed the Splash cover and compared it to a Fiberglass front splitter i got for 25$ on ebay, got some Ti bolts nuts and washers (VERY EXPENSIVE SERIOUSLY)

The next time i have a long weekend i am going to remove the BULKy cover and install the new splitter, and secure it in place with the Ti hardware. I only have one little problem, the center doesnt have any accessable holes that are already on the car, i may have to fab a bracket and glue the nut to it. Obviouosly a little bit of trimmin will be needed, for i have a universal one rather than a specific fit...

My quest to make this car lighter is heavy on the wallet...

atdeneve
08-13-08, 08:29 AM
Any pictures of the splitter or links to it?

csp3000
08-13-08, 08:56 AM
Mine ripped off when I was racing an M6 at 160mph. The whole thing came off and took some of the wheel well material with it...:mad:

Naf
08-13-08, 11:54 AM
I will get you pics, but its just a simple sheet of fiberglass...

160mph huh, doesnt our cars typically run out of speed around 162?

csp3000
08-13-08, 12:08 PM
I will get you pics, but its just a simple sheet of fiberglass...

160mph huh, doesnt our cars typically run out of speed around 162?

Why yes they do unless you opted for the ever so fun Maggie with headers exhaust and lots of other goodies...:bouncy: I think the fastest I got it up to was 173? But I had 500RWHP and 475RWTQ... Man I miss my V...:crying2:

atdeneve
08-13-08, 12:09 PM
I was just tryna get an idea of how it'll look on the car.

Is it just an actual sheet that's gonna wrap around, in the same fashion as the original rubber air dam, or are you actually gonna position it horizontally, parallel to the ground, to function as an actual splitter? Was wonderin if you were doin it strictly for weight savings (what's the weight difference?) or if it was also to gain down force.

If it's a simple replacement, I can imagine it'd look the same, however, if it's gonna function as a splitter, as well as the weight savings, just wanted to get a visual on how it would look.

atdeneve
08-13-08, 12:11 PM
Why yes they do unless you opted for the ever so fun Maggie with headers exhaust and lots of other goodies...:bouncy: I think the fastest I got it up to was 173? But I had 500RWHP and 475RWTQ... Man I miss my V...:crying2:

In 6th? If so, how does it pull? Like a stock V in 5th?

csp3000
08-13-08, 12:30 PM
In 6th? If so, how does it pull? Like a stock V in 5th?

I was in 6th and it pulled pretty hard like it was in 5th. If I pushed it I prob could have gotten maybe a couple mph more out of it.