: Mosquitos

Speedingpenguin
05-01-04, 10:54 AM
:rant2: Well, its mosquito time again. Dunno about other parts of the US, but here in Massachusetts I'm starting to see a few mosquitos here and there. I don't think theres anything in the whole world that I hate more than mosquitos. This spring/summer I want to protect myself against them. I'm already sick of mosquito bites, and I've only got 2 right now (Might have been from Puerto Rico, but I saw a mosquito this morning :helpless: )
I've seen these Sunbeam Mosquito Repellers on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50365&item=2397593238&rd=1

but don't really know if I believe that they work. Anyone ever used these?
What else can you guys recomend for keeping mosquitos and other annoying bugs away both inside and outside? Dont wanna wear mosquito spray all the time, but something easy to carry at all times like what the eBay auction is advertizing would be perfect. Thanks

:getaway:
(Mosquitos) :brutal:

El Dobro
05-01-04, 11:41 AM
Here in NJ, they're the state bird.

Speedingpenguin
05-01-04, 12:19 PM
I believe it. LOL
I've got some family in Belford NJ and whenever we visit them there are always TONS of mosquitos....they have a pool in their back yard too. I think that also attracts them, LOL

c5 rv
05-01-04, 01:28 PM
There's always this technique:

http://www.tabasco.com/html/mosquito_super_novote.html

Speedingpenguin
05-01-04, 03:52 PM
LOL
thats great hahaha
*Swats mosquito on shoulder*
I really have to figure something out.....

LacSeville
05-01-04, 06:14 PM
interesting... what are these "mosquitos" you speak of??? we don't have any in Arkansas.

kidding of course. i'm a fan of citronella and tiki torches!

Speedingpenguin
05-01-04, 08:45 PM
Yeah, maybe i'll put a few of those in my car and next to my bed at night.....fairly convenient to carry in your pocket with you as well.....
HAHAHA j/k....I've tried those things before, they were pretty good but just like if your out on the deck and have a bunch of them around and stuff.....
I'm looking for something more portable...

Stoneage_Caddy
05-02-04, 11:31 PM
i live in florida and i always thought we had a skeeter problem .....till i moved to alaska

alaskan mosquitos are so big you can hear them hit the windshield "SMACK" then this nice blood mark . i would come back from my 1200 mile round trip to anchorige with a car that looked like it spent the last 60 miles on crowded sidewalks at 85 mph

the only mosiqtos i have ever seen that you could hear coming when sitting outside

as for mosquto combat , i drank alot of hard liquor when outside . either the mosqitos got drunk and fell off or i was too enibriated to note what was happening . also when i was drunk i had a hobby of snagging the things in mid air , my buddies loved it . became a drinking game , every time you missed a skeeter you took a shot . life gives you lemons make lemonade

Elvis
05-03-04, 10:09 AM
Citronella candles and tiki torches are about the only thing that works in my area. They're really not all that bad right now, but by mid-June they'll be all over.

A few years ago I moved from attempting to repel mosquitos to "advanced bite management." Hold an ice cube on the bite for about two minutes. The itching is coming from a histamine reaction within your own body, not anything the mosquito injects. Freezing a bite shuts down the histamine production, not to mention the natural local anesthesia that takes place.

Speedingpenguin
05-03-04, 12:09 PM
so does the itching go away like permanantly? or after half an hour does it come back. This may be something i'll try :-)

Elvis
05-03-04, 01:39 PM
so does the itching go away like permanantly? or after half an hour does it come back. This may be something i'll try :-)

Usually it goes away permanently. Sometimes it takes an extra ice cube for another two minutes or so.

When I was a kid I constantly had scabs on my legs and arms from scratching mosquito bites in my sleep. It only made things worse. I didn't discover the ice cube technique until about five years ago. Now I swear by it.

Mitch3
05-03-04, 03:58 PM
And it's only May 3rd-------------Yes here in upstate NY we have Mosquitos already but not as bad as the black flies. Those suckers bite like heck and leave some big itchy bumps. How you guys doing with the deer ticks. They seem to be getting worse. I'm on my third bout with Lyme disease.

Speedingpenguin
05-03-04, 05:15 PM
I've never had any problems with ticks.....thank god!
lol

Elvis
05-04-04, 04:08 PM
This looks exactly like my daughter:

http://dogs-ticks.k9advantix.com/content/files/camp.wmv

Elvis
05-04-04, 04:15 PM
See?

Speedingpenguin
05-04-04, 04:32 PM
awww cute dog :-)
But yeah, ya think that works on humans? haha

Elvis
05-04-04, 10:01 PM
My wife swears she's going to try it! (j/k)

Speedingpenguin
05-04-04, 10:24 PM
Well what exactly is in it that makes it work for dogs?
There HAS To be some way to make it human-safe...serious (no LOL here)
I'm gonna do some research on it, LOL (Yeah, i seriously will tomorrow...i'll email the company maybe)
I %$#@&! HATE MOSQUITOS

ShadowLvr400
05-04-04, 10:33 PM
High garlic diet worked for me for a long time. Suckers didn't want me. For home defense, bug zappers are redneck amusement. *ZZZzzt*

Elvis
05-05-04, 09:17 AM
Well what exactly is in it that makes it work for dogs?
There HAS To be some way to make it human-safe...serious (no LOL here)
I'm gonna do some research on it, LOL (Yeah, i seriously will tomorrow...i'll email the company maybe)
I %$#@&! HATE MOSQUITOS

I think it's an oil that spreads on the skin under the fur. I don't know if it's a mosquito repellant or not, but it sure works on ticks and fleas.

RBraczyk
05-05-04, 10:26 AM
I love that tabasco commercial. We used to use a fogger until one morning my dad was fogging and the amherst volunteer fire department, which sees about 1 fire a year, decided that they were gonna come by and pay a visit. Some guy stopped, saw all the smoke, and high tailed it to the fire station. It took the fire department to seach my house and property till they were convinced that there was no fire. Morons. But the foggers work great, there is this stuff you can buy at home depot that you hook up to your hose and you spray your lawn. It works pretty well. I live down the street from ponemah bog, an audoban society preserve, so i get assloads of mosquito's. Good luck.

Mitch3
05-05-04, 07:13 PM
My niece bought one of those Propane units. She claims she no longer has a Mosquito problem whereas before she got it they couldn't go outside after sundown. Little bit pricey for my blood though (no pun intended). The unit goes for about $300. You have to leave it running 24/7 to be effective. She says a tank of propane lasts about two weeks. I think refills in this area are going for about $18. I can live with the mosquitos outside but when the little buggers play dive bomber as soon as I turn out the bedroom lights that drives me nuts.............:hide:

Speedingpenguin
05-05-04, 08:23 PM
yeah....our yard isnt big enough to warrent a 300 dollar unit....with that, we'd probably be getting rid of all the mosquitos in the whole town! hahaha j/k
Maybe i'll hook up that old mosquito lamp again...

*bzzzzzzzzzzz zzwaappzwwaap! bzzzzzzzzzzz*