: Oil Leaks to expect???!

Boombottz
11-09-07, 08:28 PM
Couldn't find any threads on this in the problem area, so sorry if this seems redundant. But......... does anyone know of any inherent motor oil leaks for the 2005 V8? i.e. rear seal, pan etc.

I bought my 2005 STS last month with only 3800 miles on the clock. Just returned from it's shake down cruise...MD to NC and back. And only one ticket in VA on the return leg (87 in a 70 :mad2:).

I must have loosened her up bit and today I noticed a 6" oil spot(motor oil) in the driveway. Hoping to get the service dept. to look at it tomorrow and might as well get an oil change too.

Does anyone have any suspect areas in mind, just in case the techs "can't find anything" Please chime in.

Thanks in advance,
Vinny

Onalaska
11-09-07, 09:26 PM
I bought my 2005 about a year ago with 5k miles. It was leaking at the dealers showroom when we picked it up, they rushed to mop it up hoping that we would not see it, but they assured me they would fix it. They fooled around with the oil filter and replaced the drain plug to no avail. After several wasted visits they pulled the transmission and replaced the rear main oil seal and it still made no change in the leak at all. It would drop enough oil on the garage floor every night to make a mess. Finally took it to another dealer on the advice of others on the board and they replaced the oil pan gasket and the oil filter adapter gasket and it has been dry since then now at 20k miles. It's a great engine, uses no oil between changes which occur between 6 & 7k miles according to the oil life monitor. I don't think oil leaks are that common on the 2005 and newer engines as I have not seen that many posts. Don't give up until you get it fixed right. Hope you don't have to waste as much of your time as I did with the first dealer's incompetence.

Boombottz
11-09-07, 10:18 PM
This just started one week after the trip so I am hoping it is a quick fix and not an on going problem. Were the last two repairs you mentioned done at the same time? My service guy and his department are pretty competent, at least so far. But I am going to print off this reply and present it tomorrow and maybe they will give it a thorough look see.

Onalaska
11-09-07, 10:31 PM
Yes, it was leaking around the oil pan gasket and the oil filter adapter gasket also. Must have been built on a Monday!

Boombottz
11-09-07, 10:44 PM
Yeah, or a Friday at quitin' time. Just thinking since mine hadn't leaked prior to the endurance test (2 back to back 9 hour runs) things just broke in and need a little tightening. With my luck however, probably just wishful thinking.

corvette00
11-13-07, 10:01 AM
I have had my 07 for approximately 11 months. After two weeks of ownership the vehicle had a rather substantial oil leak. This leak was fixed prpoerly after two trips to the dealer and some scratches to the front fenders. After about six months of ownership the vehicle developed a rear seal leak. Presently, the vehicle has another oil leak. I have made two visits to the dealer and they are still attempting to locate the leak, the leak appears to be located around one of the lines and does not appear to be coming from the pan. This is very frustrating, especially for a vehicle of this caliber.

Northstar52
11-13-07, 07:18 PM
My 2005 STS4 has had multiple leaks.
(1) Oil pan gasket
(2) Transfer case gasket
(3) Transmission cooling line leak - This might be the leak Corvette00 currently has. They had a hard time finding this one.

Boombottz
11-13-07, 07:44 PM
Went to the dealer on Monday. They said they found a loose NAPA filter (Probably installed by CarMax) and added dye in case I have a continued problem so they can pinpoint it with a black light. I sure hope it was that simple. I would hate to be turned against an other-wise fine car due to annoying little problems.:annoyed:

G-man
11-27-07, 02:12 AM
2005 4.6 longitude motors-- leaks are common oil pan, case halves, frt & rear pinion seals

z06bigbird
11-27-07, 11:08 PM
I could be wrong, but I have not seen any threads on oil leaks for the newer Northstars (2000+).

Are you sure???

Zman1001
11-30-07, 12:40 PM
I am glad that I saw this thread. I got a 2003 CTS 2 years ago. I had to drive it 400 miles to get it home and I would say that within 2 months, it was leaking. I have had it to the dealer at least 4 times for repairs and each time they say they repair it. After the 4th time, it seemd to have stopped, but I just saw where it started up again. IT is not a major leak, but it is getting annoying. I am going to have to have them check it out again when I go in next week for oil change.

lbwd
11-30-07, 01:35 PM
Cadillac is famous for oil leaks...
Watch the first 30 seconds:
9x63Ym-P-Uo

I know on my N*, you can replace the case half seals, etc. but the leak will come right back because the N* was designed as a race car engine and they tear them uo and rebuild after each race. This is on the 1996 but goes with all N*'s as far as I know.