: Next CTS, STS To Offer AWD

HotRodSaint
05-16-03, 09:45 AM
Next CTS, STS To Offer AWD

Cadillac's next-generation CTS sport sedan will sport all-wheel drive, according to brand engineers demonstrating the new XLR roadster and SRX crossover this week in Phoenix. Though a timeline for the second iteration of the 3-Series fighter wasn't divulged, Caddy representatives said that the CTS would add all-wheel drive capability to its current rear-drive format. The CTS won't be alone in its flexibility; the STS replacement also will be available with rear-wheel or all-wheel drive, a drivetrain option that's "becoming the price of entry in the segment," according to one Cadillac exec. Various drivetrain possibilities are being evaluated for the SRX and CTS as well: displacement on demand will be added to the new 3.6-liter V-6 and the Northstar V-8, but not until after the technology is implemented on GM's 5.3-liter V-8. Too, the new six-cylinder engine has potential for turbocharging and direct injection - standard criteria for new powertrains the division considers to be "global" powertrains - but no timeline or products for the engine variants were confirmed. -Marty Padgett

BeelzeBob
05-16-03, 09:59 AM
Thanks for posting this up. Good information. :)

AKPsiMC03
05-16-03, 10:46 AM
NIIIIIIICCCCCEEEEE :banana:

Katshot
05-16-03, 10:53 AM
AWD
What an idea, but why would they want to do that? ;)

Brett
05-16-03, 11:18 AM
so the gray-hairs in the snow belt have some options other than Escalade and Deville. ;)

Katshot
05-16-03, 01:03 PM
Or so you can practice "drifting" on your local highway on/off ramps ;)
Or maybe so you can be the redlight race king in your area :D

Twin-turbo Northstar, AWD STS sounds like a DREAM car to me.

Oh, wait a second, I forgot, the Northstar headgaskets :(
You'd have to put some stainless chains around the heads to keep them on the engine :rolleyes:

Brett
05-16-03, 01:34 PM
I would be first in line for ANY Cadillac turbo, except maybe an EXT turbodiesel:D

vanaisa
05-16-03, 01:55 PM
AWD will be good in our shity roads :)

Katshot
05-16-03, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Brett
I would be first in line for ANY Cadillac turbo, except maybe an EXT turbodiesel:D

I'm with you there!!

elwesso
05-16-03, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Katshot
Or so you can practice "drifting" on your local highway on/off ramps ;)
Or maybe so you can be the redlight race king in your area :D

Twin-turbo Northstar, AWD STS sounds like a DREAM car to me.

Oh, wait a second, I forgot, the Northstar headgaskets :(
You'd have to put some stainless chains around the heads to keep them on the engine :rolleyes:

Or weld em :D

rayzer
05-19-03, 06:54 AM
Katshot,

Having been around Northstar engines since they were introduced, I don't understand this statement:

Oh, wait a second, I forgot, the Northstar headgaskets
You'd have to put some stainless chains around the heads to keep them on the engine

Perhaps you could elaboarate.

Katshot
05-19-03, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by rayzer
Katshot,

Having been around Northstar engines since they were introduced, I don't understand this statement:

Perhaps you could elaboarate.

Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that most Northstar engines have either blown their head gaskets and/or roasted the engine due to blowing the head gaskets. Or maybe the fact that it's NOT uncommon to pull a Northstar valve cover and find a loose head bolt due to the block threads being stripped out.
Either way, total engine replacement and/or major engine repairs are routinely traced to a head gasket failure. It's been a common issue for Northstars since their introduction.

timber6860
05-21-03, 12:15 AM
Why the bitter grapes? You don't have a North Star, just curious...

Katshot
05-21-03, 08:01 AM
No bitter grapes here dude. Rayzer just asked me to "elaborate" on my jab about the Northstar heads in a previous post.
I must admit I find it interesting that a guy who's "... been around Northstar engines since they were introduced...."
would seem to take exception to my statement.

elwesso
05-21-03, 09:34 PM
Maybe he is using a different northstar :D

Night Wolf
05-21-03, 10:21 PM
for what's it's worth, I heard awhile ago that the meatal used in the block and heads of the N* repel each other, and over time loose their form and become problems, they are not like-metals.... can anyone go further with this?

03EscaladeAWD
06-02-03, 12:34 PM
Arg, Displacement on Demand. They better not screw it up again. When the first bad signs from the public come, destroy it and never use it again! I dont want GM's handy little gadget to stop Cadillac from being standard of the world when they are so close.

elwesso
06-02-03, 10:34 PM
I think its a good idea.... Back when they had the 8-6-4, they didnt have the technology to do it effectively, but now they do.... They havent really made too many mistakes after the HT4100 (or maybe just the 80s).... Basically everything has been strides in the right direction....