: Coolant pellets, how often?

RLLOVETT
05-01-04, 01:40 AM
Having been reassured by Bbob and several others that my engine will NOT blow, even though it most certainly needs a head gasket (HCs in coolant; coolant consumption without visible leaks; sickly sweet smell of exhaust), I'm wondering how often I should add Barsleaks? The auto parts boys give me piercing looks and strong warnings about plugging my heater core when I buy my 2 big bottles of the stuff along with my 2 gallons of 50-50...

I've read (here, I think) of the person who drove another 100k without head gaskets just to see if he could, but it's getting annoying adding a gallon of coolant every week or so and I don't care for the smell! Still working on finding someone who's not afraid to replace the gaskets, but still looking...

BeelzeBob
05-01-04, 01:48 AM
Having been reassured by Bbob and several others that my engine will NOT blow, even though it most certainly needs a head gasket (HCs in coolant; coolant consumption without visible leaks; sickly sweet smell of exhaust), I'm wondering how often I should add Barsleaks? The auto parts boys give me piercing looks and strong warnings about plugging my heater core when I buy my 2 big bottles of the stuff along with my 2 gallons of 50-50...

I've read (here, I think) of the person who drove another 100k without head gaskets just to see if he could, but it's getting annoying adding a gallon of coolant every week or so and I don't care for the smell! Still working on finding someone who's not afraid to replace the gaskets, but still looking...

Typically you would add a dose everytime you drained and refilled the system. I would start with one "bottle" now and keep track of the coolant adds. If it doesn't seem to slow the coolant usage down after several days I would add the other "bottle". Add more BarsLeaks after you have had to add 2 gallons of coolant (2 gallons of 50/50 premix) as that is when you should redose anyway.... or.... if the coolant usage slows way down or stops then just wait.....and add another dose if it starts to use coolant again. Keep in mind that this may not work if the leak is severe enough so if it is still using lots of coolant and nothing improves after adding two doses in the beginning I would start looking for a garage....

Be sure and add the supplement to the RADIATOR HOSE...not the surge tank, correct...???

Are you buying the bottles of BarsLeaks with the brown liquid..??? That is OK in a pinch but the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder is better. If you can find that (I always see it at WalMart and ACO hardware stores) use that instead. Two tubes would equal one "jar" . Put two tubes of the golden seal powder in immediately and then add two more if the leak does not stop or slow down the coolant usage.

Dubya
05-01-04, 02:50 AM
oh, forgot to update, i added 6 of those bars leaks to my leaking aurora. it had started to leak slowly, then got pretty bad. it seemed like it was out of the radiator connectors or somthing. problem is COMPLETELY gone, not a drop, 3 weeks so far

how long before i need more? not trying to hi-jack the thread, sorry! but its great stuff for the lazy type (me!!!)

RLLOVETT
05-01-04, 09:32 PM
Thank you, Bbob, for the excellent detail and the suggestion to keep track. I finally found a (last on the rack) pack of the pellets which I will crush and add to the top radiator hose.
Dubya, glad to hear your leak is gone--mine's not a leak as it's always dry underneath/in the valley/etc. Mine is definitely boiling off the coolant...FYI I, too, have cured small radiator leaks with this stuff. There was absolutely no problem 6k miles ago when I bought the car, but I did have a lot of fun with those therapeutic WOTs...would that speed up the demise of the gaskets?