: CTS-V in the winter!?

hal72
11-09-07, 07:09 AM
I currently drive a Escalade and it is wonderful to drive in the winter. But my wife thinks the Escalade is to big. and I wonder if anyone have driven the cts-v in winter. I know the handling is well... but after all it is a big engine and RWD.. any experince anyone?!

Thello
11-09-07, 08:23 AM
I puts snows on (Dunlop wintersports) and it did fine. I plowed snow before I had traction issue. Not nearly as good accleration as with AWD, but it gets you there.

rand49er
11-09-07, 08:43 AM
Avon A/S's and no problems ... as long as it's not too deep to the point of plowing.

rlj5
11-09-07, 01:06 PM
I currently drive a Escalade and it is wonderful to drive in the winter. But my wife thinks the Escalade is to big. and I wonder if anyone have driven the cts-v in winter. I know the handling is well... but after all it is a big engine and RWD.. any experince anyone?!

With gsd3 275's I leave it in the garage if even looks like snow, With these tires it is absolutely the worst vehicle I have ever had on snow.
Some of the forum members say with snow tires it's not bad.

zman1
11-09-07, 02:03 PM
i had blizzaks on mine and it went perfectly fine

Rey
11-09-07, 02:57 PM
With winter tires the CTS-V is a goat in the snow. It is a geat winter car.
The problem with big SUVs is their huge mass. This huge mass and AWD is great for starting traction, but underway if you lose traction, say in a corner, all that mass works against regaining traction once again, and off the road you go.

Black Majick
11-09-07, 03:04 PM
Dunlop Winter Sport DSST M3's on mine, no problems until the snow get's up to the chin splitter.

Ak Jim
11-09-07, 07:23 PM
I have the M-3s also, great tire. There aren't too many places that have more winter than where I live.

racebyu
11-09-07, 08:28 PM
I am running Hankook W300 Icebears this winter, with a little weight in the back should be fine
for our Toronto winters which usually come in Jan and Feb only these days.

Thello
11-09-07, 10:07 PM
Whoa, a guy from northern Alaska with a CTS-V? I will never question not having AWD in Pennsylvania again.

z06bigbird
11-09-07, 10:57 PM
Throw one or two manhole covers in the trunk. Great traction. They take up no room.

hal72
11-10-07, 02:53 AM
wow. many responds here. good:)

Ak Jim, do you really live in Alaska with a cts-v, that is cool. you almost have winter all the time.. hehe..

I thinking it is even better with studded winter tires, and maybe some weight in the back trunk.

the mass is a lot smaller in a cts- v, but I still think "easy" to oversteer, or??

Ak Jim
11-10-07, 08:33 PM
I live in the "interior of Alaska". We like to call it the real Alaska as opposed to Anchorage! It can get up to 90 in the summer and the coldest I have seen is -64 ambient-actual not wind chill. I drove my car up the ALCAN last April and plan on driving it most of the time except for when it gets really cold. At the temps go more than -35 it puts a lot of wear and tear on any vehicle. We really don't get a lot of snow here and Fairbanks only gets around 11 inches of precp per year. Because of the cold temps they really don't use salt on the roads but they do put down a lot of chipped gravel to help with traction. Luckly they only put this stuff down at intersections. I guess it is all part of life on the last frontier!

hal72
11-11-07, 02:43 AM
-64 in the winter.. brrr. feeling cold just the thought of it. Cool you drove you car up to Alcan. (any picture?)
I have only been to the northern parts of Canada. but I hope I get the chance to drive the Alaska Highway to the Delta Junction.

Here in norway is "only" about -35 at the most. but it was almost 6 feet snow at my cabin last winter so I need a good "winter" car. and I can fit a small ATV in the Escalade, but this is not possible of corse with the cts-v.

Ak Jim
11-11-07, 04:45 AM
It was a pretty quick trip but I did take a few pictures. I'll do a post when I get back from a trip I'm going on.

hal72
11-11-07, 05:43 AM
that would be nice:)