: Can you tell these cars apart?

tru504187211
05-01-04, 12:13 AM
Hopefully Im not the only one, but...

Can anybody tell a LeSabre from a Regal from a Century?? I can tell the difference with a Park Avenue with the size and the different tail light, but what about the rest?? Am I just seeing things that arent there??

brougham
05-01-04, 12:44 AM
Are you talking about the older ones or just the new ones? The Park Avenue and LeSabre look a lot alike or at least they used to. But I get the Regal and the Century mixed up too. The 90s ones were pretty easy to tell apart.

Dubya
05-01-04, 02:21 AM
for the mid 90's, parks and lesabre's were pretty close, but i could tell em apart. for the new ones, there almost identical, gotta look for the hood ornament on the parks, thats been the giveaway. century's and regals..... i swear there the same cars, they have to be! somtimes the regals have a 2 tone, and less chrome, i think thats it

its sad that they phase out oldsmobile, if anyone should have went its buick. all the cars look the same, there all bland. i do like the new park avenue's, thats it. the riv had potential, but needed a little more work.

tru504187211
05-01-04, 02:59 AM
I agree with you on the Riviera. A little more tweaking and it could have been a best seller. Yea, Im talking about the mid-90s models where the regal, lesabre, and century all seem to look alike. Do they all have the same engine?

Msilva954
05-01-04, 10:32 AM
They all except for the century use the 3800 Series 1 and 2......then the top line ones (ParkAveUltra) and the (RegalGS) use the supercharged one.....including the Riviera in the later years.

brougham
05-01-04, 01:23 PM
The mid 90s Regal did look different then the Century until it got it's new body. I've never thought the LeSabre looked like either of them.

tru504187211
05-02-04, 10:09 PM
So what are any advertised differences between them if they all have the 3800 or 3800 supercharged?

Msilva954
05-02-04, 10:14 PM
Lasabre goes against Grand Marquis....Park Ave against the TownCar....and the Regal against cars like the LS Lincoln and ES lexus.....Century goes with the base Taurus and other cheap cars that has a 3.4 if im not mistaken though.

tru504187211
05-02-04, 10:28 PM
It does make more sense when put like that. I'm guessing by the numbers I've seen on the road that Buick's best seller is the LeSabre?

brougham
05-02-04, 11:45 PM
Buicks don't compare to Lincolns. That's like comparing Mercury's to Cadillacs. They aren't even really comparable to the Grand Marquis, but if you want to use that as an example the LeSabre is sort of comparable to a base Grand Marquis and the Park Avenue to a more loaded one. Both the Century and Regal are comarable to a Taurus.

It's probably easiest to say that instead of having different trim levels GM likes selling different models instead.

Dubya
05-03-04, 09:12 AM
the century's always been a step down in powertrain from the regal. mid 90's, the century had a 3.3, 3.8 for regal. in the newer ones, the century has a 3100 or 3800, regal 3800 or sc 3800. so a loaded century is pretty similiar to a regal LS, grille's different, few other things, not much

i agree, the park doesn't compete with the town car, it costs less too, more of a grand marquise car.

buick is now the step below cadillac in luxury, it was oldsmobile. the bravada was replaced by the buick rainer, which gets a v8 in the base size over the trailblazer/envoy. i think its time for them to step the park avenue up a little bit, kinda generic for what its supposed to be. id take a bonne gxp over it anyday of the week.

Jesda
05-03-04, 09:51 AM
The Regal has appearance and suspension improvements, as well as many options that come standard. The Regal feels more "alive" overall.

Park Avenue makes a nice rental!

Msilva954
05-03-04, 09:43 PM
While I too would say that the Park Ave does not go against the Town Car.....that is what Buick made it for. Just is that Lincoln actually updates their cars instead of just putting port holes on the side.

tru504187211
05-03-04, 10:18 PM
If the PA isn't supposed to stack up against the Towncar, they should just bring back the Roadmaster.

Msilva954
05-04-04, 07:56 AM
Well they are going to have that new RWD platform in a couple years.......it is supposed to take over for the Park Ave and the Lasabre......I bet they dont call it Roadmaster.

tru504187211
05-05-04, 01:59 AM
Why exactly was the RM done away with? Same reasons as the Caprice and Fleetwood were?

Msilva954
05-05-04, 08:30 AM
Yea, they were all the same platform.......Arlington Texas is where they were built if I remember correctly....now you can see Subrubans and Tahoes being built there now.

BeelzeBob
05-06-04, 06:54 PM
I can easily spot a Park Avenue or LeSabre. I like them both. I have trouble telling the difference between a Regal and a Century from a distance...

BeelzeBob
05-06-04, 06:56 PM
Is the Park Avenue really not competition for the Grand Marquis? I thought it compete with the Town Car. The Park Avenue really is a very nice car... I haven't been in a Grand Marquis lately...

Msilva954
05-06-04, 08:39 PM
Ive driven both Grand Marquis rentals and Park Ave Rentals..........They do compete in reality....but Buick would much prefer you say it is a Town Car competetor.

brougham
05-07-04, 12:11 AM
Buick can think all they want but the only reason it could even be compared to a Town Car at all is because Cadillac doesn't make cars like that anymore. The Town Car is nicer and the cheapest one costs more then a loaded Park Avenue does. Like I said before that's like comparing a Mercury to a Cadillac.