: New 95' STS owner with tech question

alxinya
11-08-07, 07:34 PM
Hi everyone. I just got a mint pearl white 95' STS with 130k miles from this really old lady. At first the only thing wrong with it was it was running a little hot and after reading a few posts, I figured it had a blown head gasket. Anyway, I got the car for basically what it's worth in scrap metal:) I went to replace the thermostat and POW realized that it was installed backwards. I put a new one in correctly and it ran perfect temp. It also had a rough when hot so I changed the fuel pump and filter. that made it run even better.
Here's the question: When the car hasn't run in over one day, it takes like 10 seconds of cranking to get it started like she ran out of gas and the fuel lines are dry. What could be causing this???? Maybe somehow the gas it going back to the tank when she sits for a while? but how? Any help would be great, Thank You!!!!!
Alex

alxinya
11-08-07, 07:56 PM
I just read the post about needing help ASAP and realized that since I have had my car, it has for a few seconds blown white smoke, like rich unburned gas vapoe. I just wanted to add that to the symptoms.
Alex

Ranger
11-08-07, 09:32 PM
Check the FPR. If that is OK, then check the fuel pump relay. If both are good, then maybe a stuck open injector. Do a search. Either of the three could be your problem.

alxinya
11-08-07, 09:46 PM
isn't an FPR a fuel pump relay????

Ranger
11-08-07, 10:16 PM
Nope. The relay is electrical and powers the fuel pump till oil pressure builds. If it is bad, the pump won't get power till you crank it long enough to build some oil pressure. The FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) is mounted on the fuel rail and as the name implies, regulates the fuel rail pressure. It has a vacuum line on the top of it. Pull the line while at idle and look for the presence of fuel from the nipple. There should be none.

alxinya
11-08-07, 10:46 PM
ok, cool, I'll try that tomarrow