: engine stalls with a big rattle

devillemark
04-30-04, 11:22 PM
Hi, it started with the engine stalling while driving on the freeway. Now the engine starts to stall randomly after I drive for about 5 minutes. Sometimes the engine stops while driving with a big rattle that sounds like an old diesel engine. In idle the engine now kind of surges.
Anyone ever experienced the engine dying on you with a loud rattle?
Thanks, Markus

this is a '70 deville with edelbrock intake

devillemark
05-01-04, 11:25 PM
looks like the engine stalls with a loud rattle only when hot.

Today I exchanged the fuel filter and after only 3 minutes of driving the car stalled at 30 mph and won't start again. I checked the fuel and it is pumping.

If one of the sensor (oil, engine temp, water temp) is faulty can they stop the engine from running?

How do I check whether I got sparks or not?

Thanks, Markus

DaveSmed
05-02-04, 12:48 AM
None of the sensors would keep the car from running. The rattle has me puzzled, but i think it might be an ignition problem. To check for spark, remove the wire from one of the plugs or the wire from the coil going to the tistributor, and using insulated pliers, hold it near metal while someone else cranks the engine.

devillemark
05-02-04, 08:47 PM
turns out one of the wires leading to the starter had a short. So whenever the wire shorted the ignition went out. Finally the condensor burned out and the car stopped running alltogether.