: Went in for an Oil Change...Almost needed a new engine!

seabass
11-08-07, 01:57 PM
Well I just brought home my new to me 2000 Catera and decided that I was going to get some new tires and an oil change. This car has been sitting for about 1 year so I figured fresh oil would be a very good idea. So on my way home no more than 5 miles from shop I got the work done at the low oil light came on. I called the shop and they told me to stop and pull over right away. Without too much trouble the service manager found out that they only put 4 1/2 qts into the engine when it takes 6 qts. He came out and filled the oil up the rest of the way and I personally inspected the work before he left. Now he is offering me free oil changes for 1 year for the huge mistake. I told him how lucky HE is that I am observant and did not go on a trip. What do you guys think? Any damage to the engine? I did not hear anything, feel anything and the car acted normal except for the warning light. :banghead::banghead::cookoo::banghead::banghead:

yellowxhoodie
11-08-07, 02:03 PM
4 1/2 outta 6 isnt too bad. coulda been way worse. if you pulled over like u said u did right away, id say your fine. lucky for you your not one of those people whos completely oblivious, and even luckier for the shop. You couldve prob made them pay for a new engine.

rinverso
11-08-07, 02:26 PM
damage would be unlikely, due to the distance you drove. also having four and a half quarts would be enough for the pump to pickup oil out of the pan. congrats and enjoy.
robert:bouncy:
ps what extended warranty did you end up with??

seabass
11-09-07, 09:19 AM
damage would be unlikely, due to the distance you drove. also having four and a half quarts would be enough for the pump to pickup oil out of the pan. congrats and enjoy.
robert:bouncy:
ps what extended warranty did you end up with??

I ended up getting the extended warranty through smartautowarranty.com

The warranty seem to be the most comprehensive and the reps seemed honest to me. It is very hard to purchase a product like this over the interned because there is no actual "thing" you are buying. It is not like I can go and take the warranty for a test drive. But with input from people on this site and through other research I feel like I made a good decision.

BTW if anyone out there would like a contact number for the rep I used just let me know. I would recommend him.

I wish I could say that I hope I do not have to use the warranty buy we all know that I will. But so far I am VERY happy with the car. I am detailing the CAT this weekend so I will post some pics. :D:D:D

Seabass