: Oh shoot...need help ASAP...:(

afterburn
11-08-07, 05:04 AM
Well recently my car has been having problems, BIG ONES!
Anyways, recently i have had problems with my engine hesitating and pulled codes and the only one is P119 which is open/short curcuited fuel injector.

Well today, something really bad happened, I turned on my car to go to work and well, for some reason i smelled a HUGE and powerful smell of gasoline, so i automatically turn off the car. When i did, I heard some action in my exhaust pipes and noticed that WHITE SMOKE (yes smoke and not steam) was coming out of the back of my exhaust. And yet, still the only code is P119.

Many people are telling me that the car is running the fuel too "rich", and that my injector is open, how would i close it?

:ill: idk what this means but can anyone tell me what i can do?

zonie77
11-08-07, 10:30 AM
I reviewed the P119 thread.

Did you ever meter the injectors? Did you uncover the harness to the injectors and check for missing insulation?

Injectors are electromagnets. They open and close based on electric pulses. If the electromagnet or wiring is messed up you have problems.

Did you get a meter? Harbor Freight usually has them for less than $5.

Ranger
11-08-07, 12:22 PM
That white "Smoke" may have been unburned fuel vapor (very rich fuel condition). Lift the fuel rail with the injectors attached and turn the key on (do not crank) to pressurize the fuel system. Look for the leaking injector and replace it.

afterburn
11-08-07, 10:20 PM
Ranger, thank you for your help so far. I did what you asked me to, and well, the car is still trembling pretty badly and is idling at around 1000 RPM. There was no leakage coming from the injectors while doing that check.

Ranger
11-08-07, 10:36 PM
Normally I would say check the FPR, but with the DTC you have I would say check the injector wiring harness for a chaffed, burned or pinched wire.

afterburn
11-08-07, 10:51 PM
okay, this is what i saw that concerned me. Right next to the FPR, there is a little black rectangle thing device. Next to that on the side, there is another little plug, i saw that it had some exposed wire in it, the insulation is there but the wire i can see, and there is no pinched wire.

Ranger
11-08-07, 11:21 PM
Sorry, I can't picture what you are talking about. Maybe someone else can.

afterburn
11-09-07, 04:14 PM
alright, i found one leaking while having the fuel rail raised, do i need to replace the whole injector or can i just replace the O-Ring?

Ranger
11-09-07, 10:11 PM
It is leaking from the injector nozzle. Replace the injector. How bad was the leak? Drip or steady flow?

afterburn
11-09-07, 10:20 PM
umm around 4-5 drips a sec, pretty much flowing down. I think i might need to replace the injector itself. What do you think? And where is a good and cheap place to buy just one? I don't have alot to replace the full set.

Ranger
11-09-07, 10:26 PM
4-5 drips per second after shut down will put a lot of fuel in the cylinder till it bleeds off the fuel line pressure. That is why you are having all the problems you describe. Fuel is likely also leaking past the rings overnight and thinning out the oil. My biggest concern would be getting enough fuel into the cylinder to hydrolock it on start up. I'd replace that injector ASAP. Try http://www.rockauto.com. Good prices and very fast shipping.

afterburn
11-09-07, 10:52 PM
Well im not moving the car at all or turning it over at all, how would i go around cleaning the where FUEL has dripped on so no explosion or fire may start?

Ranger
11-09-07, 11:33 PM
You mean while you where testing it? If so, it will evaporate long before you start it based on your comment "Well im not moving the car at all or turning it over at all".

afterburn
11-10-07, 05:35 PM
Okay, i replaced the injector, car idles really good. White smoke consisted for about 10 mins, then it stopped. BUT, P119 still shows after clearing the code. Any insider on this one?

Ranger
11-10-07, 06:14 PM
Maybe the injector wasn't bad, but a short in a wire was keeping it open? That said, I would have expected more than a "drip, drip". Maybe more than one bad injector?

afterburn
11-11-07, 01:17 AM
Actually it cleared, its just showing as history now. Thanks! OWE YOU A BUNCH RANGER! ;), car running perfect again!