: Radiator Cooling Fans not running

mtooth2
11-08-07, 12:08 AM
Friends,

I am troubleshooting a heating issue concerning my father's 2001 Cadallic Eldorado ETC with the Northstar Powerplant.

In my efforts, I have identified that both Radiator Cooling Fans are not turning on when operating at/above normal temperatures.

I thought the 50 AMP fuse was the issue, but the fuse is okay.

Someone told me that it could be a Fan Relay/Module. However I have not been able to identify this part.

Question:
1). Is there such a part at a Fan Replay/Module that could keep both fans from working? Is there a part number or better name for this part when seeking a replacement?
2). Could there be another problem as to why two fans are not turning on when the engine is at/above operating temperatures?

Thanks for your efforts!
Sincerely,
Mark Mantooth

dkozloski
11-08-07, 12:24 AM
Tell us what temperatures you are expecting the fans to come on at.

Ranger
11-08-07, 11:15 AM
The fans do not come on until engine temperature reaches 224. Turn the A/C on. The fans should run anytime the A/C is on. If they do, then you don't have a problem.

mtooth2
11-08-07, 12:11 PM
Thank you both for the responses.....

I am messuring the temperture with the "Idiot" Gauge. Therefore I need to measure it correctly.

As for the A/C suggestion, I will give that a shot and report back my results.

Thanks for you time and wise counsel.

Mark Mantooth

Ranger
11-08-07, 02:44 PM
Do a search for temp gauge. JimD once posted the approx. temp readings for the tick marks on the gauge.

mtooth2
11-09-07, 04:59 AM
Thank you Ranger. I will do that too.

Submariner409
11-09-07, 10:37 AM
Just for general information, because this is a cooling thread, watch for sales at Radio Shack: They have a small handheld IR thermometer with good accuracy which sells for around $24. Great for checking thermostat housing temps, hoses, anything which radiates heat. The thing has a 1" target spot at 6" so it's good for most engine work. (Wanna find out how hot your PCM really is ?)

Ranger
11-09-07, 09:08 PM
Good thought Sub. I have an IR thermometer. Maybe I'll do that one of these days just out of curiosity.