: Purchase advice "new" 2005 CTS-V

45wheelgun
11-07-07, 09:39 PM
Be gentle with me I am new here...:)

I have an opportunity to purchase a "new" 2005 CTS-V Red Line with moon roof and 500 miles for $35,000.

I will be the first owner. This vehicle was "set aside" by the dealerships owner, and stored in a climate controlled building. It has been in the dealerships inventory since Jan of 2005.

It will include the standard (in 2005) 4 year 50000 mile warranty, along with all routine maintenance for 4 years.

I have several questions if you folks will indulge me:

1. What do you think of the deal?

Assuming I am not getting killed by the price:

2. Other then oil changes what other "routine" maintenance is there?

3. Are there recalls or other issues that I should have addressed before accepting this car?

4. Nav system, Rom upgrades...maps...advice?

5. Paint and moon roof were the only things listed on the window sticker, what other options were available in 2005 and not on this car?

6. I have read that the CTS-V have "run flat" tires, is that all of them, or is that optional equipment? If it is on all of them, what does a new set cost, and can you put "regular" tires on it when these wear down?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer, I have been reading through the thread here most of the afternoon, but there is a lot to get through.

Thanks again,
Dave

heavymetals
11-07-07, 10:11 PM
Sounds like a good deal.

WheelHop
11-07-07, 10:40 PM
I'll go w/ heavy.. People are pricing used ones for just a few thousands less!

Oil changes are really the only maintenance you'll need for such a new car..

The maps should be plenty up-to-date, but there is a newer map disk out there

There aren't any recalls, but there are known problems, but only if you have symptoms.. no official recalls.

The moonroof was the only upgrade option for 2005 V's

Run flats are standard equipment and you can put other tires on, but you'll need a full size (wheel) for a spare.. Do a search.. TONS of info on this topic.

mike041357
11-07-07, 10:57 PM
Just do it. It'll be new. It'll be yours. And you'll write back in a couple of weeks wondering why you even gave it a second thought. :yup:

45wheelgun
11-08-07, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the replies and comment guys.

Are there any cool dealer installed accessories that I should try to get the dealer to throw in?

There aren't any recalls, but there are known problems, but only if you have symptoms.. no official recalls.

I have been reading through this forum, and there is tons of info here, but would you care to list some of the little things I should be looking for? I have this car until later today.

Oh, and a little thing. On this car when you close the "ash tray", it goes past being flush with the dash and it "pushed in" about 3/8's of an inch. Normal? Easy fix?

mike041357
11-08-07, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies and comment guys.

Are there any cool dealer installed accessories that I should try to get the dealer to throw in?

I have been reading through this forum, and there is tons of info here, but would you care to list some of the little things I should be looking for? I have this car until later today.

Oh, and a little thing. On this car when you close the "ash tray", it goes past being flush with the dash and it "pushed in" about 3/8's of an inch. Normal? Easy fix?

I'm not sure about the ashtray. Mine is flush. As far as dealer installed accessories, about all there is would be an exhaust and maybe a spoiler. The exhaust is probably too pricey to have them install (~$1500 dealer job depending on who's they use) and you'd want to hear it first. The rear spoiler is an option, though.

I had them do a clear bra and mirrors and am glad I did. That they did throw in the deal. The clear bra covers all the front facing surfaces, not just the hood.

Get the best deal you can and save the $$ for later mods. Good luck!

Silver Dollar
11-08-07, 09:41 AM
Window tint is about the only dealer option I'd consider.

Offer him 33,000 and see what he says.

Mystical_Ice
11-08-07, 10:20 AM
i'd without a doubt suggest clear bra and window tint.

window tint because it just looks better.
clear bra because you'll be kicking yourself if you don't. i had my hood repainted 2 weeks ago, and i already have small rock chips in it. unfortunately i have to wait at least 30 days from the paint till when i get the clear bra.

make sure the clear bra is on all "leading" edges. mirrors, above windshield, front, etc. anything you can see if you look at the car from the front.

daytripper
11-08-07, 12:14 PM
I'd take a look at the orignal F1 runflats to make sure they're still in good shape. This car was built in 2004, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are showing dry rot cracking or flat spotting by sitting in one spot so long. If the car really was stored indoors in a climate-controlled environment, they're probably ok. I have a hard time believing it wasn't just locked up out back in a cage and washed off and moved inside for sale. In any case, 4 years is a long time for the tires to sit in one spot. Budget for a new set when you reach your final bargaining price.

Brian R.

WHYTRY
11-08-07, 12:25 PM
Get it certified. It should only cost $1000-2000. I think I paid $1,100. Do it so you will not have to worry about anything unless you plan to join MOD HELL. Mod hell is a lot of fun for pocket and on the street it's great to see there face when you blow away there brand new so called sports car in the 4 door lac.

rand49er
11-08-07, 12:34 PM
FG2 shocks!!! Get them to change out the FE4s for FG2s!!!

Other than that, sounds like a great deal. :highfive:

Ak Jim
11-08-07, 03:40 PM
I think when you are talking about a high performance vehicle there are advantages to getting it new. You pretty much know the car hasen't been hammered too much. As far as the tires go I don't think dry rot should be an issue. I have a 96 Impala with 22k miles that still has the original tires and there is no sign of dry rot. I got my V as a new 05 and purchased it from a dealer in October 06. It had 107 miles on it and I got for 38.5 which I think was a good deal. It is a redline with tan interior and sunroof and the front plate had not been installed so it had all or the things I wanted. I also picked up an 04 V in March 06 from a dealer in North Dakota. It had 142 miles. I got it for 36.5 which I think was a good deal. I think finding a "new" car that is a model year or two old is the best way to go! You get a good price and don't have to worry about previous abuse. :)

45wheelgun
11-08-07, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all the input guys.

I can't get it certified as it is a "new" car not used. I already tried. I wanted the 5yr 100,000, but no luck there.

Even though this is a powerful car, I will probably be driving it like a little old lady compared to some folks out there. How long (many miles) should I expect these tires to last? How much does a set of 4 run?

I have not pulled the trigger yet, but they sent me home with it again today, so I get to drive it around a bit more.

There are flat spots on the tires but I was told they will go away. Is that true?

The owner of the dealership has a large "toy barn" where he keeps a bunch of cars that are in his collection. That is where this came from.

darkman
11-08-07, 04:34 PM
If you drive the car conservatively you can expect 13-16k miles on the original tires. Driven hard they will go away in half that. A replacement set of 4 would cost roughly $1800 installed, but not by a dealer. However, there are other tire options that are much cheaper.

urbanski
11-08-07, 06:02 PM
How long (many miles) should I expect these tires to last? How much does a set of 4 run?

There are flat spots on the tires but I was told they will go away. Is that true?

it sat forever if it flat spotted. mine never did. get them to Hunter Roadforce Balance them...or pay a shop nearby to do it, if the dealer does not have that machine. it may or may not go away, and may or may not be from flat spotting.

and mine lasted 8K miles. do NOT buy them again. search here for tire recommendations

mike041357
11-08-07, 06:47 PM
it sat forever if it flat spotted. mine never did. get them to Hunter Roadforce Balance them...or pay a shop nearby to do it, if the dealer does not have that machine. it may or may not go away, and may or may not be from flat spotting.

As a side note on Roadforce Balancing, the may have to break the bead and rotate the tires. These wheels are easily scraped and scuffed by tire machines so make sure whoever does it is an expert on runflat tires and has the proper equipment. And make you show them each and every wheel before they touch them. I'd show them to the manager on duty. There have been many wheels replaced/repaired because of a unknowing technician. If it sounds like I'm speaking from experience, I am.

urbanski
11-08-07, 07:05 PM
yup, runflats take talent to fix....and MANY wheels have "mysteriously" become gouged at dealers. do a thorough wheel inspection before buying.

50 4Ever
11-08-07, 08:41 PM

I can't get it certified as it is a "new" car not used. I already tried. I wanted the 5yr 100,000, but no luck there.

But WHYTRY had his certified? Ask the dealer if you took delivery and curbed the car (drove it off the lot making it a used car) and brought it back would the certify it for little or no cost? Seems to me this is a way to get a cheap extended warranty. But they probably want to try to sell you the GM Extended Warranty. Would another Cadillac dealer certify it? Could save you $1,000 over the GM extended warranty.

My '05 has over 36,000 miles on it and no extended warranty yet. I might persue this avenue.

1Sonterra
11-08-07, 09:11 PM
:welcome:Buy it......tint it.....and DRIVE IT! Oh....and Welcome.

sirjames
11-08-07, 09:13 PM
I agree with the 33 offer. It would certianly be a good buy at 33 or even 35. Buy it, you'll love it.

VCAT
11-08-07, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=mike041357;1281305]These wheels are easily scraped and scuffed by tire machines so make sure whoever does it is an expert on runflat tires and has the proper equipment. And make you show them each and every wheel before they touch them. I'd show them to the manager on duty. [QUOTE]

:yeah:

so true i went back and fourth three time to the dealer and had discount buy me three new wheels from the machine damage.

tweak48
11-08-07, 10:13 PM
I'd climb all over that deal. For reference, six months ago I paid $32k for a 2004 with 2200 miles on it. Essentially new also, but your "in service" date would be now, as I understand it. My warranty will be over next April.

Anyway, I love this frick'n car!!!!!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/tweak48/DSC_0038.jpg

AAIIIC
11-08-07, 11:00 PM
The one thing off the top of my head is a TSB for the oil temperature indication. I had to deal with this issue when I bought my V used a couple months ago. Basically, the indication runs high and triggers the high oil temp warning at 300. It reads high due to a ground issue with the sending unit. There's a revised harness that needs to be installed to correct the issue, and you may need to have the cluster reprogrammed. Check this thread for the details (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/119276-oil-temperature-warning-message.html).

How long (many miles) should I expect these tires to last? How much does a set of 4 run?
As others said, how long is very driver dependent. As for how much, go to www.tirerack.com or www.discounttiredirect.com and plug in the car and it'll show you tire options, including run-flat and non-run-flat. I'm running non-run-flat Falken FK452s and I think they were around $150 each in the stock size

I've never had to deal with tires that had been sitting stationary for years at a time. I'd be worried that the flat spots won't go away. If you can, try to get some heat into the tires. Go to an empty parking lot and run some moderately aggressive figure-8s. 1st or 2nd gear, maybe 20-30mph, tight figure-8s so that you're forcing the tires to do some work. That will load all 4 tires and put some heat in them. I think that's your best bet to try to get the flat spotting to go away, but I don't know if it'll work.

Flyboy
11-09-07, 08:47 AM
Buy It

Humanoid
11-12-07, 08:07 PM
Id paid $35k for my 05 w/ 14k miles and GM Certified so I think you are def getting a better deal that I did.