: Engine runs a bit rough during cold winter starts

weister42
11-07-07, 05:54 PM
So the weather in Wisconsin is getting winterish and I've noticed that my car kinda shakes when I start the car during the morning in cold weather, it lasts about 15 seconds or so. Last night was about 20 degrees and when I tried to start my car this morning it ran really weird, the engine started just fine but then the rpm dipped to under 600 and the car was shaking a lot, and just when I thought the engine was going to die the rpm sprang back up to over 1200 rpm, typical when the engine starts really cold. The car ran fine after about 20 seconds of driving, no engine light or codes.

I've got 133k on the motor, plugs/wires/fuel filter are less than 40k miles old, just changed the oil/filter(5w30), throttle body and EGR valve were cleaned 30k miles ago and I've done the WOT carbon cleaning today(and a big puff came out of the exhaust), I know all my injectors are seeping gas(at least that's what a mechanic told me when he lifted the fuel rail) so is that it? I have an used replacement set that I haven't got around to put in.

Submariner409
11-07-07, 06:23 PM
Go ahead and get a set of injector O-rings and install the backups. While you're at it, do a thorough job of cleaning the plug insulators and wire extension boots and use dielectric ignition grease in the ends of the boots as you slip each over the plug. Make sure each boot snaps onto the plug. Clean the coil boots also.

Ranger
11-07-07, 06:38 PM
I really find it hard to believe that all 8 injectors are leaking at the same time, but based on everything else you said, that is what I'd look into.