: How many use your V as a daily driver?

04 Z06
11-07-07, 04:19 PM
Im planning on replacing my current daily driver with the new V once its released (I don't know how I will be able to wait so long for the car) so Im curious to see how many of you guys actually daily drive yours? Ive been on the RS4 boards, and Ive noticed that a lot of those guys refuse to drive their car in the snow let alone everyday.. Infact, some of them have turn the car into a garage queen...? :cookoo:

What kind of snow tires are you colder climate guys running? 500hp and soft compound snow tires should make for some interesting times.. :bomb:

whisler151
11-07-07, 04:22 PM
Mine is a daily driver

dqw1
11-07-07, 04:23 PM
I drive mine daily but luckily I don't live in the snow belt so all-season tires work well down south but...forecast snow and I'm staying home from work that day. Not because I don't trust the V, it's the other NASCAR wannabees down here.

Jon
11-07-07, 04:25 PM
Nope. No rain, no snow.

dqw1
11-07-07, 04:26 PM
Mine is a daily driver
Did you have your V during the ice storms last winter? That had to be pretty wild.

mdc
11-07-07, 04:37 PM
Rain, snow or shine ... my V loves all of it ...

I put on the Blizzacs in the winter and as long as I don't drive like a maniac, I find the V fine for winter driving. I have a company Jeep that I can drive in the winter, but I have a hard time leaving the V at home as I enjoy driving it so much. It isn't the ideal winter car, but if the winters are going to be like they were last year, who cares ... I think we had maybe 3 bad snow days all winter. Our roads are usually plowed by 7AM anyway so no big deal ...

The Tony Show
11-07-07, 04:38 PM
:wave: Daily driver here.

I'm not spending this kind of money on a car to park it- I drive it everywhere I go.

WHYTRY
11-07-07, 04:44 PM
90% Daily driver unless it's a motorcycle day

heavymetals
11-07-07, 05:03 PM
Daily here, but since I retired I don't drive that much.

The only time I drive my Vette is when the V is up on jackstands.

urbanski
11-07-07, 05:10 PM
i keep mine under glass
a very large glass yes
but still

SkullV
11-07-07, 05:28 PM
Mine is a daily driver, although I just bought a Chevy Truck....just in case the snow gets too deep down here!

Feffman
11-07-07, 05:38 PM
Every day racking up 15-20K miles annually.

Feff

wooderson
11-07-07, 06:44 PM
Since I sold my work car to help with closing costs on a new house, my V is now a daily driver. I am concerned about winter on Long Island this year. It's been a while since I tried to drive a high horsepower, rear wheel drive car, through the snow. The results were never great as I recall.

CTS2NV
11-07-07, 06:54 PM
Daily Driver here

04 Z06
11-07-07, 07:11 PM
Since I sold my work car to help with closing costs on a new house, my V is now a daily driver. I am concerned about winter on Long Island this year. It's been a while since I tried to drive a high horsepower, rear wheel drive car, through the snow. The results were never great as I recall.

My only good snow experiences were in cars with good snow tires.. I got caught at work with my AWD Audi TT that had bald tires on it.. Accelerating wasn't much of a problem but stopping with just a coating of snow (1/4") on the ground was down right scary.. So snow tires & wheels are on the list..

Ive also come to the conclusion if everyone else can run home from work when the streets get a little coated, so can I.. Im not walking away from such an amazing car b.c we sometimes get snow during 3 of the 12 months..

Twitch
11-07-07, 07:30 PM
90% Daily driver unless it's a motorcycle day

I don't ride much anymore, the V's just too much fun. :lildevil:
I'll see how the winter is, then decide if I buy a set of rims/tires for the winter or just stay with all season tires the whole year.

BTW Yes, it's a daily driver. If I'm driving, I want to enjoy it!

stkshkr
11-07-07, 08:55 PM
Daily, except rain or snow.

G--
11-07-07, 09:10 PM
Did you have your V during the ice storms last winter? That had to be pretty wild.

Daily Driver here as well...and yes, in the ice storms last year. Talk about a challenge to drive...even starting in 2nd or 3rd couldn't keep the rear from wanting to go sideways. The "hills" were the biggest problems in the ice....snow was much easier, but the freezing rain is a joke...

sirjames
11-07-07, 09:16 PM
My ass only goes in the V... (hope that doens't sound too crude...)

cts-v ls6
11-07-07, 09:38 PM
My '04 V is a daily driver. Just turned 124k miles today.

AND...

My LS7 crate motor arrived yesterday!

Jack

Rollin Black
11-08-07, 02:20 AM
My V is my daily driver also.

The few snow/ice days we get here I will drive the Jeep as it seems to many drivers want to play bumper cars :helpless:

RobWilson
11-08-07, 04:21 AM
I bought mine to be my daily driver. I've had it a month and put 1100 miles on it. I have Michelin All-Season tires on it that the previous owner bought. I think they should be okay for Oklahoma winters. Last winter, I drove my '96 Corvette convertible with Pirelli PZero Nero M&S tires with no problems.

razl
11-08-07, 10:07 AM
Daily driver here - luckily I'm in central Florida so, no snow. Even better (or worse, depending on your perspective) I'm < 2 miles from work but still drive. I'm not even putting on 500mi a month. That's like 90% errand running - which is finally not quite the chore since I can Vroom to and from said errand :) The downside is that I'm getting < 10mpg because of nothing but in-city driving, but my miles are so low it's not that bad.

Vlightful
11-08-07, 11:23 AM
Daily driver also. Will be putting on the snows soon as winter will be arriving any day here in Wisconsin. This will be my 4th winter with a "V" and no major problems-just a little lighter on the gas pedal!

theloanman219
11-08-07, 11:43 AM
My '04 V is a daily driver. Just turned 124k miles today.

AND...

My LS7 crate motor arrived yesterday!

Jack

First off mine is a daily driver. I put 17k on it in the last year. I can't stop driving it. Plus living in FL its easy. When we move back up to New England that will be another story.

And Jack...I think you have set a record. 124k DAMN. How many Diffs?

Gene

rheagrimm
11-08-07, 11:59 AM
My V is a daily driver as well. It goes everywhere I go except for the grocery store. For that chore we use my wife's Lincoln Navigator which is somewhat better suited for the grocery getter duty.

P-Funk
11-08-07, 12:05 PM
Daily driver here. Haven't had any problems with driving it during any season.

Ak Jim
11-08-07, 03:55 PM
I plan on driving mine untill it goes colder than -35. I have two sets or rims and tires. My winter tires are dunlap M3s and they do a great job. I have a block heater installed and plan on putting on an oil pan and transmission heater in the next couple of weeks. In the past I had two cars that were for "nice days" only and have decided that that plan is a bunch of crap. I like the V so much I want to drive it as much as possible!

Todd3544
11-08-07, 04:46 PM
Daily driver here... Love every minute of driving it, especially the 5am mornings when there is no traffic..

Koooop
11-08-07, 05:01 PM
It's my driver, it doesn't even rate a space in my garage.

FIVEOH!!!
11-08-07, 05:15 PM
No daily driver here.... While on my way to work I drive my Police car all week. Then if I am off and it's snowing I drive my 93 5 spd Nissan Altima with Blizzaks !!!! and on Sunny days I roll with the V. So far this year I have only added 8k miles to the car.

Nitro-C5
11-08-07, 06:38 PM
Bought mine to use as a daily driver and doing the same thing you are planning. Looking at a 2009 V...pending on price and specs of course:thumbsup:

SLPR 6.0L
11-08-07, 11:31 PM
Daily driver @ 33,000.

nspharmd
11-09-07, 01:56 AM
Daily driver for me. My corvettes are for sunny days. Haven't had the V for a whole winter yet, but at the recomemndation of alot of guys on the forum I bought a set of blizzaks for the winter (and another set of rims).

rand49er
11-09-07, 09:44 AM
Used to be my DD, now is basically a GQ.

Put 20k on first year when it was my DD. Have put 7k on it since I bought an '03 Focus as a DD in Oct '06. Total is 37k now and never sees precip anymore.

cts-v ls6
11-09-07, 06:57 PM
Gene, I use my car as a highway star. The '04 rear started really whining abot 40k miles. It would get so hot I couldn't keep my hand on it after driving. (guessing oil temps 160 deg F or more). So in went an '06 rear, and I can lay my hand on it and keep it there after driving--so no problem since then. I change the rear fluid about every third time I change the oil. The Pro Luk clutch I put in at 4084 miles is still fine also. Jack

racebyu
11-09-07, 07:25 PM
Daily driver here for fall, winter and early spring, or if more then 2 seats are needed.
Driving now on Hankook W300 Icebear tires, will let you know how they hold up.
The Vette is in the garage nice and warm tucked away for the winter months.

theloanman219
11-09-07, 11:34 PM
Gene, I use my car as a highway star. The '04 rear started really whining abot 40k miles. It would get so hot I couldn't keep my hand on it after driving. (guessing oil temps 160 deg F or more). So in went an '06 rear, and I can lay my hand on it and keep it there after driving--so no problem since then. I change the rear fluid about every third time I change the oil. The Pro Luk clutch I put in at 4084 miles is still fine also. Jack

Im still sitting here with my jaw on the ground :jawdrop: with the miles that you have.

btraer
11-10-07, 10:06 PM
Drive it every day - makes going to work fun

Slywun
11-10-07, 10:39 PM
Was my daily driver but now I'm sporting this 79K mile 50 MPG 1988 CRX HF flashback.....
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/3/4/9/5/9/4/webimg/83120195_o.jpg

Black Sunshine
11-10-07, 11:33 PM
Daily driver. Business car. Mobile office. Home away from home.
Whatever you call it, I drive the $&!# out of "The Don" on the road.

56,900 miles since 12/06. I average 5K/month. From FLA to Quebec to MN to TX. I'll drive anywhere for a check.

Did it the last three years prior to the V with the Impala SS (Black Sunshine's got over 200K on her.). First year a 15-14 second car. Next year, 13-12. Last 60K miles, an 11 second daily driver.
Mmmmmmmmm.....I'm already into step two with the V when I bought it.:lildevil:

Rain, shine, sleet and snow. Highway, big city, drag strip, road course, auto-x.

Got the Miglia spares with snow rubber ready for Jan-Feb.

(don't think anyone'll be catching Jack anytime soon)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/TheDonCTSV11_10_07Small115.jpg

BigJoeD
11-11-07, 12:15 AM
I drive mine every day 50 miles round trip for work.

Johan Ahlqvist
11-11-07, 03:23 PM
I lives in Sweden, alot of snow and i drive´s my V every day. I love this car!!

GMBOUND
11-11-07, 05:15 PM
I lives in Sweden, alot of snow and i drive´s my V every day. I love this car!!

What tires you runnin?