: What would you do?

Seattle CTS-V
11-07-07, 03:37 PM
I am a pretty laid back guy and accept the fact that modding a car comes with it's set of setbacks and problems. Eventually though, even the most accepting of us has to call it quits. The latest problems with my Maggie have got me thinking about an exit stategy into something new and different. Here are my thoughts:

1. Trade in my '05 Maggied V for an '09 V when it comes out next fall.

Advantage: Keeping it in the family. 500-600hp stock!
Disadvantage: Will my car last until next fall??

2. Trade in my '05 Maggied V for a used '04 E55 AMG.

Advantage: Available now. No risk of Baby-V draining more $$ on repairs
Disadvantage: No more fun in the twisties. :(

3. Trade in my '05 Maggied V for a new '09 C63 AMG.

Advantage: Availiable April. Less risk w/ Baby-V.
Disadvantage: Even worse gas mileage (10mpg!!!). Lots of $$. No manual.

4. Trade in my '05 Maggied V for a 335i and chip it.

Advantage: Good handling. Decent power. Availiable now.
Disadvantage: I hate the "idea" of being one of those "BMW snobs"

5. Keep modding Baby-V until she is bullet-proof and fast as hell (new rear and more boost!). Throw in a roll cage and strip out all unnecessary unsprung weight and go hunt down some German autos on the track. Buy a hybrid commuter car to offset the damage the V does to the environment.

I lay awake in bed thinking about what to do. I love driving this car. It looks awesome, it sounds awesome and it gets alot of respect out on the track. Problem is, my Maggie has been less than problem free (on my 4th Magnavolt, faulty bypass valve actuator apparently led to two throttle-bodies dying and now I think I've got a bad bearing in the Maggie so it'll need a rebuild) and I fear that my 4th rear won't survive much longer.

If I had full confidence that this current rear would last until the '09 V comes out then that would be my 1st choice right now. My 2nd choice is, unfortunately, the C63 AMG. Don't hate me!

The Tony Show
11-07-07, 03:42 PM
Rip the Maggie off, sell it to an unsuspecting person as a personal ticket to mod hell and put a Vengeance Cam and Trickflow heads on that sucker.

The car is fine- the Maggie sucks. We already lost WildWhl thanks to the Maggie problems- we don't need another person to abandon the V for overpriced Eurotrash because of a glitchy Supercharger kit.

(Cue Heavy to defend the Maggie :))

RunningOnEMT
11-07-07, 03:45 PM
buy a lambo... put swing out doors on it and smaller rims

dqw1
11-07-07, 04:07 PM
#'s 1, 2 and 3 have to be real tempting and we won't hate you if you do.
If maggie is acting up and won't listen, put her arse out the house and narry a cam. Then you won't have to get an AMG.

Seattle CTS-V
11-07-07, 04:40 PM
buy a lambo... put swing out doors on it and smaller rims

Not on the list, but a great idea nonetheless.

heavymetals
11-07-07, 04:56 PM
(Cue Heavy to defend the Maggie :))

You funny guy!

HO HO HO

I'd rather not think about having two of them fail. :eek:

The one on my V is making noise after it gets hot. :suspense:

At least my Magnavolts are working (knock on wood) :canttalk:!

rand49er
11-07-07, 05:45 PM
Put in some 60 lb/hr fuel injectors and throw the Magnavolt in the trash!

I don't have a Magnavolt, and I know of at least one person here who doesn't. No Magnavolt = 99% fewer problems. :yup:

Jon
11-07-07, 05:51 PM
#1. Wait for the '09.

I would never ever go near an import. That's me.

Why not just remove the blower and drive it?

CTSV_Rob
11-07-07, 09:26 PM
Isn't there another alternative to the Magnavolt? I thought I read somewhere that a company like MSD was making one? It couldn't be any worse.

Sounds like the biggest problems now are the Bearings in the Maggie and the Rear. I wish I knew what to tell you but mine is behaving itself so I'm not in your place right now. If it were me I would get the Maggie rebuilt, Push the car and if the rear failed try and find a used one out of a wrecked V and limp it into 09 and dump onto the unsuspecting.

For me I am going to see if I can shoehorn in the 09 rear into my V. This is the major problem to me and will hopefully be resolved in 09. I wonder if it will be Getrag or other???

Once I get this issue figured out and the TVS is available then it will be time to play with the big boys.

Whatever descision you make is going to be a tough one and I wish you the best.

Rollin Black
11-08-07, 03:02 AM
In my humble opinion two options come to mind.

1) Keep your V, get the rear bullet proof, remove and sell the Maggie and install a large cube NA motor.

You seem to really enjoy the road course and in my opinion, power adders and road course don't offer longevity at your level of play on the track. To many problems with maintenance, heat, plus the extra weight on the front of the car.

427 CI motors for the LSx platform are comming down nicely in price and offer a great reliable solution for a road course car. Power can be right up there with the Maggie and if you don't over cam the motor the car will still be a sweet daily driver and live a good long time at the higher RPM's seen at the track.

Then when you can buy a nice 09 V (or other vehicle) for your daily and make the older V your dedicated track rat :D

2) Keep the V as your daily driver (remove and sell the Maggie) and buy a track car, something slightly better suited for the track. For example a C5 Z06. Great prices on these and they make awesome track cars. In addition they have the same motor as your 05 V so alot of things can be interchanged between the two. Plus you won't feel so bad when you abuse the hell out of the older Vette on the track.

This is what I have done. The V as my daily and a C5 Z06 with a few goodies (427 CI) as a track rat.

Good luck with you choice.

Perry

RobWilson
11-08-07, 04:16 AM
I would vote for option #1. If the Maggie dies before then, just remove it and put the car back stock.

Scatillac
11-08-07, 06:12 AM
Do a mild-cammed LS7-based engine swap, some suspension work and grin. :yup:

theloanman219
11-08-07, 09:46 AM
ok. I have read a lot of threads here of people getting rid of a good car because of upgrades that they have done. Im going to ask a question here and maybe get railed for it. Why don't you get rid of the maggie, get a pro charger (have not heard alot about them, hense the question) and do a cam? I would not get rid of the car! The euro's have just as many problems and cost a HELL OF a lot more to fix.

Gene

Seattle CTS-V
11-08-07, 11:10 AM
ok. I have read a lot of threads here of people getting rid of a good car because of upgrades that they have done. Im going to ask a question here and maybe get railed for it. Why don't you get rid of the maggie, get a pro charger (have not heard alot about them, hense the question) and do a cam? I would not get rid of the car! The euro's have just as many problems and cost a HELL OF a lot more to fix.

Gene

You're right, this is an amazing car. I try not to sound like a whiner on this forum. I ask alot of questions though b/c there are alot of knowledgable people on this site. Unfortunately, most of my posts are questions about problems I'm currently experiencing. Hopefully, others will read these posts and learn something too. My love for this car and all of it's quirks is why this is so hard for me. This mood change hasn't some easily. It has taken ALOT of problems for me to finally get to this point. Let me think:

1. Recent Maggie bearings bad
2. 3 bad Magnavolts (4th one doing fine so far)
3. 2 bad throttle bodies (the Shane P&P TB I bought on ebay is fine so far)
4. 3 replaced rear diffs (4th is fine so far)
5. TSBs on sail panels b/c one fell off on the highway
6. TSBs on clutch pedal that won't return off the floor
7. 1 bad FG2 shock
8. 1 replaced navi for several peeling buttons
9. When the car was only 4 days old they took it for a week trying to find out why my transmission made a metal on metal clunk every time I turned left in a slow parking lot. Turned out to be a loose bolt somewhere. 4 DAYS OLD! (a different dealership than the one I'm currently going to).

There are some other TSB things that have been done as well. My service at Bellevue Cadillac has been stellar. They've always taken care of me even though my car is far from stock. I really want an '09 V (I think). I just get frustrated when I can't drive my car :(

Alex_V
11-08-07, 11:26 AM
You can alway sell me a busted Maggie for a good price :) I can drive down and have it removed and put your car to stock. I live in Atlanta

Seattle CTS-V
11-08-07, 11:27 AM

1) Keep your V, get the rear bullet proof, remove and sell the Maggie and install a large cube NA motor.

You seem to really enjoy the road course and in my opinion, power adders and road course don't offer longevity at your level of play on the track. To many problems with maintenance, heat, plus the extra weight on the front of the car.

427 CI motors for the LSx platform are comming down nicely in price and offer a great reliable solution for a road course car. Power can be right up there with the Maggie and if you don't over cam the motor the car will still be a sweet daily driver and live a good long time at the higher RPM's seen at the track.

Then when you can buy a nice 09 V (or other vehicle) for your daily and make the older V your dedicated track rat :D

2) Keep the V as your daily driver (remove and sell the Maggie) and buy a track car, something slightly better suited for the track. For example a C5 Z06. Great prices on these and they make awesome track cars. In addition they have the same motor as your 05 V so alot of things can be interchanged between the two. Plus you won't feel so bad when you abuse the hell out of the older Vette on the track.

This is what I have done. The V as my daily and a C5 Z06 with a few goodies (427 CI) as a track rat.

Perry

Where in the Pacific NW do you live? I'd love to see/hear that ZO6!

theloanman219
11-08-07, 11:28 AM
im not calling you a whiner by any means. If anything I admire you for hanging on for so long. Im just trying to state the fact of when you change the original makeup of something you will have some problems. I mean we have problems without mods. I really think you should look into the procharger/cam combo. Also on the 09 thing...I would wait till 2010. They are changing the whole car, with that they are going to have some quirks and you don't want to be in the same position.

Just keep your car :) take off the maggie for now. Don't wait for more things to break, then you will be making your decision out of anger.

Gene

stkshkr
11-08-07, 11:37 AM
Rebuild the Maggie and drive on.
Were the diff problems failures or whine replacement? Do you have the newest harness for the Magnavolt (white connector)? Rebuild is what 3 or 4 hundred dollars, sounds cost effective to me. Check idler alignment (IMHO primary cause of bearing failure)

Seattle CTS-V
11-08-07, 12:34 PM
Rebuild the Maggie and drive on.
Were the diff problems failures or whine replacement? Do you have the newest harness for the Magnavolt (white connector)? Rebuild is what 3 or 4 hundred dollars, sounds cost effective to me. Check idler alignment (IMHO primary cause of bearing failure)

Definitely cost effective to go that route...except the dealership told me that they can't warranty any more diffs. That's a potential $5k problem. Since KARS is no more I would probably have to go Madman and (I think) his solution is $8-10k, right? That's a tough sale for me. Easy sale if the current rear goes out, but hard sale as a preventative thing.

Rollin Black
11-08-07, 02:03 PM
Where in the Pacific NW do you live? I'd love to see/hear that ZO6!

Sending you a PM.

Thanks, Perry

CIWS
11-08-07, 02:46 PM
You should only have to wait till the Detroit auto show in January (according to Cadillac at SEMA) and the 09 V will be shown and made public. After that you'll be in a better position to decide which way to go.

stkshkr
11-08-07, 07:47 PM
Definitely cost effective to go that route...except the dealership told me that they can't warranty any more diffs. That's a potential $5k problem.

$3200 diff and 1/2 shafts installed.
Have you had a catastrophic failure?

Seattle CTS-V
11-09-07, 05:27 PM
$3200 diff and 1/2 shafts installed.
Have you had a catastrophic failure?

Never. Only whining.

stkshkr
11-09-07, 07:31 PM
Then keep going and turn up the radio..........

CTSV_Rob
11-09-07, 07:42 PM
Never. Only whining.
You or the Diff.... :D (just playin...)

Seattle CTS-V
11-14-07, 08:23 PM
You or the Diff.... :D (just playin...)

Waaaaaaaaaaaa!

Magnuson currently has the Maggie and is supposedly rebuilding it. No x-shipping for me, I guess. My shop said they aren't too backed up on their rebuilds. Hopefully I'll have the car back in two weeks, but who knows.

Driving my 1995 F250 for the past 10 days is getting pretty old already. It keeps me out of trouble though. I don't feel the need to keep those ///M and AMGs in my rearview mirrors. Much less stressful cruising in the slow lane. Gas sucks though - and that's saying alot since the Caddy only gets 12.5mpg. The truck has two gas tanks. I put $100 in it yesterday and the only reason it wasn't more is b/c the gas station tanks automatically cap your credit card at $100. My gas gauges don't work so I have really know how fast the thing goes through fuel...and I'm too lazy to write down the odometer mileage to check. Needless to say, I'm missing my V on so many levels. :(

Seattle CTS-V
11-14-07, 08:29 PM
What about selling the V privately. I hope I could get $35k or so w/ all the mods and 33k miles. Then I could get a 2-yr lease on a loaded CTS AWD. After the lease is up I could step into a 2010 CTS-V. If the 2009 V has any surprising quirks then I could avoid them in the 2010 model.

I've never leased before. Any good websites on how to get a good lease deal?

nxlr8
11-15-07, 12:54 AM
Hold out and get a GTR... that car is going to be INSANE...

StealthV
11-15-07, 12:59 AM
What's a GTArgh?

nxlr8
11-15-07, 01:45 AM
Nissan R35 GTR
http://www.gtrnissan.com/img/gallery/GT-R_03.jpg
0-60 in 3.5 seconds
1/4 mile in 11.7 seconds
480 HP Twin Turbo 3.8L V6
AWD
More computers in it than the space shuttle...

Estimated to be in the $70,000 - $80,000 range

Check out this months issue of Motor Trend... Titled "Corvette Killer"

Car was designed to beat the Porsche 911... but it will end up owning just about anything...

Seattle CTS-V
11-15-07, 11:27 AM
It's fast, but fugly. And where do I put the baby's car seat?

sy1172
11-15-07, 12:29 PM
Buy the E55....awesome in the twisties, what are you talking about!!!

V-Smooth
11-15-07, 01:31 PM
Yo T, hope all is well. Have you thought about going the STS-V route? Bell Caddy had a couple really nice '07s still on the lot at discount. I was out there a couple weeks ago and thought about tradding in my CTS-V on one. You lose the manual option but so what...headers and a cat-back and call it good. My $.02 (ooor you could tough it out until late '08 :sneaky:)

The Tony Show
11-15-07, 01:34 PM
I still say go NA power. Cam + heads V ftw!

Seattle CTS-V
11-15-07, 04:41 PM
Shop just called me and said that Maggie should be back tomorrow morning. That's a pretty good turnaround. The shopped took it off and shipped it last Tuesday. Magnuson probably got it Thursday or Friday. They completely rebuilt it (front and rear bearings + a new bypass valve thingy) and shipped it out again to arrive tomorrow. Nice service there!

Seattle CTS-V
11-15-07, 04:42 PM
Yo T, hope all is well. Have you thought about going the STS-V route? Bell Caddy had a couple really nice '07s still on the lot at discount. I was out there a couple weeks ago and thought about tradding in my CTS-V on one. You lose the manual option but so what...headers and a cat-back and call it good. My $.02 (ooor you could tough it out until late '08 :sneaky:)

The STS-V hasn't really grown on me. Too, hmmmm, soft?

1FASTSS
11-15-07, 04:51 PM

Perry

This sounds like the best plan to me.

I now have the V as a DD and the SS as a track car but hope to have a ZO6 down the road soon. Need a new home with 4 car gargae and lift first.

heavymetals
11-15-07, 04:55 PM
"Need a new home with 4 car garage and lift first."

:thumbsup:

Seattle CTS-V
11-15-07, 06:26 PM
Need a new home with 4 car gargae and lift first.

My semi-friend has a 3 car garage attached to his house. He also just built a heated 4 car garage next to his house. He already has plans to fill the spots. Currently, he has an F430, a 612 Scag, a 575M (are those the right numbers for the Maranello?) and a G55 AMG as a DD. Talk about jealousy when I see his autos.

onebadcad
11-15-07, 06:47 PM
My semi-friend has a 3 car garage attached to his house. He also just built a heated 4 car garage next to his house. He already has plans to fill the spots. Currently, he has an F430, a 612 Scag, a 575M (are those the right numbers for the Maranello?) and a G55 AMG as a DD. Talk about jealousy when I see his autos.

Got a buddy, who has a cousin, and his dad (okay, you get the picture, I don't know them personally) have a warehouse, brand new, 20,000+ floor space, 300mph construction, 100-gal diesel generator (can run facility for at least a week) 10 parking spaces outside, 15 cameras inside and out, 11 bays doors, custom tool boxes and work counters in front of each lift, 8 lifts, parking under lifts as ceiling is 20+feet, can hold 20+ cars, has two '63 Vettes, C4 ZR1, '69 Camaro SS+, three F-bodies, '06 GTO, C5 w/1,000RWHP, four Double-cab duallys, custom covered trailers, '73 Chrysler Imperial (backseat is bigger than my entire V) (all cars are pristine, car show shape/quality), etc... also has an upstairs Gentleman's Retreat with five plasmas on wall, Sat TV, biggest theater chairs ever made, pool table, bar with tapped kegs, custom kitchen, etc... I thought the route to go was a house with 4 (or more) garages, but this is my new dream. The best thing about this garage is that it is about 15 miles from his house, so he can just go there and chill without worrying about the common distractions. I wanted to take pictures, but was advised that due to security reasons, the owner does not publicize his garage. My best estimate of building and toys is over $4M, so I may have to go to Vegas for a long weekend to pay for it.

nxlr8
11-15-07, 10:25 PM
It's fast, but fugly. And where do I put the baby's car seat?

It's a 4 seater!

Seattle CTS-V
11-16-07, 04:04 PM
Got a buddy, who has a cousin, and his dad (okay, you get the picture, I don't know them personally) have a warehouse, brand new, 20,000+ floor space, 300mph construction, 100-gal diesel generator (can run facility for at least a week) 10 parking spaces outside, 15 cameras inside and out, 11 bays doors, custom tool boxes and work counters in front of each lift, 8 lifts, parking under lifts as ceiling is 20+feet, can hold 20+ cars, has two '63 Vettes, C4 ZR1, '69 Camaro SS+, three F-bodies, '06 GTO, C5 w/1,000RWHP, four Double-cab duallys, custom covered trailers, '73 Chrysler Imperial (backseat is bigger than my entire V) (all cars are pristine, car show shape/quality), etc... also has an upstairs Gentleman's Retreat with five plasmas on wall, Sat TV, biggest theater chairs ever made, pool table, bar with tapped kegs, custom kitchen, etc... I thought the route to go was a house with 4 (or more) garages, but this is my new dream. The best thing about this garage is that it is about 15 miles from his house, so he can just go there and chill without worrying about the common distractions. I wanted to take pictures, but was advised that due to security reasons, the owner does not publicize his garage. My best estimate of building and toys is over $4M, so I may have to go to Vegas for a long weekend to pay for it.

WOW! I'd take a dump and piss all over the Ferrari's to have that garage!

Seattle CTS-V
11-16-07, 04:05 PM
It's a 4 seater!

Ah, but with only 2 doors. You've never taken a car seat loaded w/ a baby out of a car have you? It's hard even in the V.

nxlr8
11-17-07, 01:07 AM
Ah, but with only 2 doors. You've never taken a car seat loaded w/ a baby out of a car have you? It's hard even in the V.
'Twas more of a joke... :canttalk: