: Cadillac Forum: Bottom Line Preventative Maintanence

usc2005
11-07-07, 02:25 PM
Hey everyone. I wanted to know if all of you cat owners could give me some tips and pointers on how to keep my cat in outstanding shape! Can you guys give me the heads up on what i need to look out for and tips on what is commonly a problem with these models, so i can have the head start on anything that can pose a major problem. This would be greatly appreciated. I love this car and i want to keep this car as long as i can. I do the normal care eg. change oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months- (which ever comes first), clean and degrease the engine, check fluids, just had the head gaskets and oil cooler replaced, flushed the radiator, I also called the cadillac dealership out here in colorado and they told me there were no recalls for my vin.

Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

usc2005
11-07-07, 04:01 PM
found a site doing some browsing that has a list of maintenance to-do's by mileage, if anyone has any other tips please post..
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/maintenance.do?step=step2&year=1997&make=Cadillac&model=Catera&style=4+Dr+STD+Sedan&mileage=10000&engine=6VNAG3.0&transmission=AUTOMATIC&zip=80239&synpartner=edmunds

PEETYZ
11-07-07, 04:30 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/89081-preventative-maintenance-add-your-tips.html Here ya go just about all you need to know

elvin315
11-07-07, 05:13 PM
Forget generic guides like that Edmunds or even GM for that matter. Go with the advice here and at the other Catera & Omega sites. We are the ones that have had to live with the Cat day to day.

GM is slick. They didn't issue recalls. They call them Tech Service Bulletins (TSB). Find out for sure if the "Customer Satisfaction Program - Cam Drive Idler and Tensioner Pulleys and Water Pump - Inspect/Replace #02041" has been performed on your car. If that assembly fails you're in deep doo doo.

Check your coolant for oil. The internal oil cooler is a known weak point. Worn lower control arm bushings will cause the front tires to wear prematurely. Research this and the other sites and learn all you can. This is a great car. It just needs a little more lovin' than others.

You married? Like most women, take care of her, and stay on top of the maintenance. and she'll treat you good. Ignore her, take her for granted, and she'll bite you in the butt.

Elvin

cateraowner
11-07-07, 05:31 PM
Forget generic guides

GM is slick. They didn't issue recalls. They call them Tech Service Bulletins (TSB). Find out for sure if the "Customer Satisfaction Program - Cam Drive Idler and Tensioner Pulleys and Water Pump - Inspect/Replace #02041" has been performed on your car. If that assembly fails you're in deep doo doo.

just wondering.. how would I find this out.. would any caddy dealer know about this?

and if it hasn't been done is it considered a recal or will it come out of my pocket..

Thanks