: Catera Check Engine comes on after a warm start

kphinney
11-07-07, 03:15 PM
I bought my 1999 Catera used a months or so ago. Comfy car for my 80 mile round trip commute each day.
State inspection failed due to a Check Engine light they claimed was on. I pulled the dash and sure enough - the light had been removed. I replaced it and it was lit.

If I unplug the battery and wait 5 minutes it'll run great for over a hundred miles and my gas economy is great and no Check Engine. Shut it off for a second and it returns to its less than perfect state and stays that way until I repeat the process. Where might this problem be? I can't re-inspect it because I'll have to drive it to the gas station.

Thanks All.
Kay

yellowxhoodie
11-07-07, 03:23 PM
well start by taking it to autozone or your local general automotive store. Theyll usually scan it for free for you. Then you can take the code or codes that they give you and check online to find out just exactly what it wrong.

elvin315
11-07-07, 04:09 PM
Did you buy it from a dealership or a private sale? Whoever sold it to you committed fraud. I would call your State's Attorney General's Office and report it. The seller hid the car's true condition. This wasn't an oversight. It was deliberate fraud. True, it's still "buyer beware" but see what the law says first before spending your money. You may be able to get your money back. You should always get a car checked before buying.

Elvin

kphinney
11-07-07, 08:58 PM
Did you buy it from a dealership or a private sale? Whoever sold it to you committed fraud...
Elvin

No such luck I think. I bought it from a popular auction in New Hampshire which is open to the public. Before bidding and paying they make all buyers sign a release stating that the car is both sold as-is and may not pass any inspection.
Besides, the price was so low I'd probably still be ahead of the game if I had to sink a few grand into it. The nearly new tires and rims are worth more than I paid. It's a great looking car with 60k on it - I'd rather get it working in top shape.
Thanks for the info though. That is good to know.

investor74
11-09-07, 10:23 PM
The scan code is the starting point for almost any Catera problem, in particular the check engine light. The scan code will point you to the problem.

I bought an inexpensive scanner on the Internet and it works very well. I got the Autoscanner U380. It will be very handy in the future for you.

I've had a Catera for 11 years, and every time the CEL light goes on, it has something to do with the gas cap. Try tightening the cap, and replacing it if that doesn't work.

BTW, the "warm start" may not have anything to do with it. The CEL comes on after three starts after it has been reset if the problem has not been cleared.

kphinney
11-10-07, 01:03 AM
Thanks All. I'll try finding someone to read the codes and let you know the issue.