: driving water pump with no smog pump?

voodoo
04-30-04, 03:07 PM
My smog pump was locked up and i threw it in the trash , now I need a way to drive the water pump because- smog pump was the tensioner . The engine in question is a 1968 cadillac 472. I have two belts going from drive pulley to A/c to power steering. Then one belt going from water pump to the generator. = no drive pully to water pump or generator. Should I buy a new smog pump? or is there a simple sulliotion? I REALLY DONT WANT A SMOG . NEED ANSERS?:hmm: :hmm: :banghead:

lux hauler
04-30-04, 04:09 PM
I got a set of Caddy 425 ('77-'79) pulleys (crank and water pump). I haven't installed them yet but that's supposed to correct the problem. If you go that route, you might want to get the timing pointer from the 425 too. The old one won't work with the newer pulley.

voodoo
04-30-04, 10:41 PM
I will look for that pully configeration. Thanks Lux, You and Angela have helped me alot I greatly appreciate it. Untill I can find the pullys I got a belt to go from crank to water pump - no tensioner. Talk about hard to get on, dont worry I took the coil wire off to avoid finger loss. HA HA:D

ronesr
05-02-04, 11:19 PM
I have a complete '68 472 sitting in my storage shed and I don't believe it has a smogger on it. I will check tomorrow and get back to you about the belt setup. If I forget, (senior moment :bonkers: ), email me at: ronesr@aol.com and I will respond. :drinker Ron

devillemark
05-03-04, 11:33 AM
hmmm, I kicked out smog and A/C on my '70 472. No problem with the belts. Take a look at the pictures I took, maybe they can help you.

Markus

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10684&password= (http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10684&password=)

lux hauler
05-03-04, 06:43 PM
I have a complete '68 472 sitting in my storage shed and I don't believe it has a smogger on it. I will check tomorrow and get back to you about the belt setup. If I forget, (senior moment :bonkers: ), email me at: ronesr@aol.com and I will respond. :drinker RonI believe his car was built to be sold new in California. California always gets different smog stuff.

voodoo
05-04-04, 12:33 AM
Thanks so much guys & girls. All the info helps alot. all you people are greatest. :) p.s. so far the belt from crank to water pump is holding up. I took the car for a spin, and the front wheel locked up screaching all the way home,and I still was grinning from ear to ear feeling like a million bucks. Everybody else thought I was an ass hat- but who cares. HA HA:coolgleam