: The difference is astounding....

faylix
11-06-07, 12:05 PM
first off, I'd like to give a big thank you to lindsey cadillac, for first off giving me a crazy deal on a set of FG2's and secondly actually eating some of the expense of shipping to get it to me on the one day i had to install it.

Back story: Some of you might remember i had been complaining about wandering, excessive body movement, or the car just acting weird on the highway.

That was on the Goodyear RSA's and FE4s.

Now, with BF goodrich KDW II's and FG2's - the car feels like a different animal on the highway. I have to watch the speedo while driving to make sure i dont drift north of 100. It rides exactly like i feel a sports car should - scary close to as tight as my track prepped (and i mean prepped - full coilovers, all sorts of braceing, Whiteline anti-liftkit adding camber to the front..) WRX did. And this is a luxury car.

I was a little scared about the FG2's being rougher around town. I gotta say - its not a big deal at all. I drive over train tracks twice a day and they dont bash me around at all. Infact, they still feel like luxo suspension!

Though swaybars and maybe a rear strut tower bar are still on my list - those are finishing items only, infact the need for them is miniscule.

I'd just like to say, I reallllllly love my V now :cloud9:

-J

atdeneve
11-06-07, 12:43 PM
Good for you.

Perhaps, your FE4s were shot. Yeah, probably. If the excessive wandering and body movement (and overall weirdness) were cured by the FG2s, I'd say your shocks were done. I wouldn't think the FG2s would show any significant impact on straightline trackability as compared to the FE4s. Improved handling dynamic? Yes. Straight line wandering? Probably not so much. Though, of course, you also switched out your tires, which could also be a factor, as well. Anyhow, glad it all worked out.

bpitas
11-06-07, 01:16 PM
I'm glad you wrote this - I was thinking about getting FG2s, but the roads around here are worse than Bagdad. But if it's not too bad, then maybe I'll get them anyway!

-B

first off, I'd like to give a big thank you to lindsey cadillac, for first off giving me a crazy deal on a set of FG2's and secondly actually eating some of the expense of shipping to get it to me on the one day i had to install it.

Back story: Some of you might remember i had been complaining about wandering, excessive body movement, or the car just acting weird on the highway.

That was on the Goodyear RSA's and FE4s.

Now, with BF goodrich KDW II's and FG2's - the car feels like a different animal on the highway. I have to watch the speedo while driving to make sure i dont drift north of 100. It rides exactly like i feel a sports car should - scary close to as tight as my track prepped (and i mean prepped - full coilovers, all sorts of braceing, Whiteline anti-liftkit adding camber to the front..) WRX did. And this is a luxury car.

I was a little scared about the FG2's being rougher around town. I gotta say - its not a big deal at all. I drive over train tracks twice a day and they dont bash me around at all. Infact, they still feel like luxo suspension!

Though swaybars and maybe a rear strut tower bar are still on my list - those are finishing items only, infact the need for them is miniscule.

I'd just like to say, I reallllllly love my V now :cloud9:

-J

Ak Jim
11-06-07, 03:53 PM
I have driven both regular shocks and FG2s with both run flat and non run flat tires. I think there is a bigger "ride penality" associated with the run flat tires than the shocks.

Twitch
11-06-07, 03:59 PM
I remember your first thread about this. Glad it worked out, cuz nothing's worse than a car that doesn't handle right. I'd go with handling over horsepower any day.
Unfortunately the roads here are very bumpy, I keep reading that the FG2's are too much for the shocks on a rough road.
Thats OK , cuz you can do A LOT of other things to this car.

bpitas
11-06-07, 04:15 PM
That's good feedback - thanks!
Yeah, I always hated the F1s on my C5 - I have BFG KDW2s on the V, and I can only imagine how much harsher it would be with the F1s. It's OK now but you can definitely feel the screws in the interior backing out over some of the bumpy roads in Arlington. :-)

-B

I have driven both regular shocks and FG2s with both run flat and non run flat tires. I think there is a bigger "ride penality" associated with the run flat tires than the shocks.

thebigjimsho
11-06-07, 05:49 PM
That's good feedback - thanks!
Yeah, I always hated the F1s on my C5 - I have BFG KDW2s on the V, and I can only imagine how much harsher it would be with the F1s. It's OK now but you can definitely feel the screws in the interior backing out over some of the bumpy roads in Arlington. :-)

-Bhahaha Bumpy roads in Arlington? Jeez...

The FG2 is not bad in New England. And once you hit the smooth streets of Winchester, you'll know you'll have the prowess to hit South Border Rd...

bpitas
11-06-07, 05:58 PM
South Border Road is one of my favorite driving roads in New England actually - except I had some interesting run-ins with the state police there when I passed someone who was going WAY too slow. When the local PO called my house and said if I didn't admit to doing something wrong he'd have to turn it over to the staties who have jurisdiction on that road, I told him to just do what he had to do. :-)
Not that I don't run it fast still, but mostly on my TL1000R. :-)

-B

hahaha Bumpy roads in Arlington? Jeez...

The FG2 is not bad in New England. And once you hit the smooth streets of Winchester, you'll know you'll have the prowess to hit South Border Rd...

CTSV_Rob
11-06-07, 07:53 PM
Try the CA highways, what a joke. The FG2's are nice and I have had them from day one. The car actually cornered slightly better with the F1's (less side wall flex), I have the KDW2's now and I am still happy with the setup.

Just recently put the sways on the car and wow it made a nice difference. It is a little rougher but well worth the gains to me.

I was toying with the idea of a rear strut tower brace but not sure.

It is amazing to me how well this car handles with even some minor changes.