: Suspension performance

badcaddy
11-05-07, 08:11 PM
This question relates to the performance suspension. Do the wheels gain positive or negative camber as they are deflected upward, as during an aggressive turn? I am asking because my 20's are still brushing the fender wells, and as I look at the car the wheels look pretty tucked in. The only thing I can figure is that the wheels are gaining positive camber....but I am a novice, so need your expertise. :helpless:

slothV
11-05-07, 11:54 PM
The only thing I can figure is that the wheels are gaining positive camber....

yep

Here are some options:

1) Lose the 20's :bouncy:
2) Add more negative camber
3) Add sway bars to reduce body roll, thus reducing off-camber cornering
4) Add stiffer springs for reason described in #3

urbanski
11-06-07, 07:31 AM
discussing "performance" and 20s in the same paragraph is paradoxical

JMBCTSV
11-06-07, 03:18 PM
Car gains negative camber in bump travel. In other words, they tuck in under compression.

AAIIIC
11-06-07, 03:30 PM
The only thing I can figure is that the wheels are gaining positive camber....
yep
Nope.

Car gains negative camber in bump travel. In other words, they tuck in under compression.
Yep. That's one of the huge advantages of a well-designed SLA suspension compared to a MacPherson strut suspension.

slothV
11-06-07, 03:52 PM
Oops! Was thinking MacPherson. Thanks for the clarification guys.

badcaddy
11-06-07, 08:50 PM
thanks for the comments, but now I am a bit confused. If I understand this correctly the V has an SLA suspension(rather than the classic MacPhersons). And if the wheels move skyward I am not getting any positive camber. So, I can't blame the suspension for the rub....I just need to recess the rims another mm or 2. Am I correct or off base?