: CTS-V Fuel Mileage

Outracin
11-05-07, 11:54 AM
Im impressed to say the least. I went on a 800 mile 1 way 1600 round trip ride with my friend in his 2006 cadoo cts-v. At 70 mph the car said it was averaging 27mpg. when we whipped out the calculator and figured it out on our own per the gallons we pumped in between stops, it was actually 27.6. All that Hp and tq and fuel economy to boot. That was impressive to me considering they claim 25 highway! :yup:

JimmyH
11-05-07, 11:57 AM
To get that kind of mileage, it was probably non-CARB fuel.

Outracin
11-05-07, 12:44 PM

the trip was from long island NY to hershey PA. Stayed there for a couple days then down south to TN. and home to NY. We figured the mpg in the PA to TN part of the trip, so you might be right

Albertan
11-05-07, 03:19 PM
Just back from Las Vegas. Round trip of 2600 miles. Running about 80 mph I was getting 24+ mpg. Lowest I got on highway was 21+ against headwind. Of course in Las Vegas I got hung up in traffic and was down to 15mpg. I remember my then new 1973 Vega (yes I bought one) would get about the same mileage but at slower speeds. They don't build them like they used to, and I am very thankful for that!

NormV
11-05-07, 03:34 PM
I noticed also that the computer is under rating MPG on long hauls over one tank. One hour trips it is over rating by 1 mpg.

Get someone to program your pcm or do it yourself with hptuners like I did and few others and it is good for 2-3 mpg. I got 30 mpg at the speed limit from Ohio to Philly during labor day weekend. I'll be making trip again this holidays season at higher speeds for comparison.

Norm

BadCad
11-05-07, 05:03 PM
15 - 16 mpg for me. When I am good I get 17 - 18 mpg's. You guys drive downhill with a tailwind?

NormV
11-05-07, 05:51 PM
15 - 16 mpg for me. When I am good I get 17 - 18 mpg's. You guys drive downhill with a tailwind?

Mid to low 20's when I am entertaining but I drive 85% highway.

It is all about rpms.

Norm

Twitch
11-05-07, 06:03 PM
The best I've done so far, is 23.5 on a two hour trip. Crouse control was set at 80. Around town is a different story.........

cts-v ls6
11-05-07, 06:26 PM
Have a Stealth V tune for 87 octane. Best so far is 29.2 from Memphs to St. Louis--but I had a tailwind. Best in still air has been 27.2 (twice) from Fayetteville, AR to Memphis.

Jack

cobrayankee
11-06-07, 08:07 AM

Same here. I'll get 13mpg here in town and 22-24 on the highway. Average 17.xx mpg.

razl
11-06-07, 10:10 AM
Have a Stealth V tune for 87 octane. Best so far is 29.2 from Memphs to St. Louis--but I had a tailwind. Best in still air has been 27.2 (twice) from Fayetteville, AR to Memphis.

Jack

What do you mean "tune for 87 octane"?

razl
11-06-07, 10:12 AM

Jack

:hmm: what is non-CARB fuel?

JimmyH
11-06-07, 01:02 PM
:hmm: what is non-CARB fuel?

you know, I dont know why I call it CARB fuel. It isnt really, unless you are in California.

The clean air act, in it's current iteration, was enacted in 1990. It includes extra fuel additives (like ethanol) which promote cleaner burning, and fewer emissions, but reduce combustion efficiency, lowering mileage and horsepower. I believe every major metropolitan market has it now. Out in the boonies, where smog is not a problem, they don't have to use it. Hence, the gas is cheaper, and you get better mileage and more power.

Actually, if all 50 states could get together and decide on one single formula of gas, we could probably save alot of money on gas. As it stands now, there is somewhere north of 100 different formulas being used in the US right now.

http://www.epa.gov/air/caa/

NIK
11-06-07, 01:09 PM
Round-trip Bethlehem, PA to Cape Cod (710 miles total). Door to door to and from Bethlehem, including side trips and delays coming and going on the George Washington bridge, cruise control at 70 MPH and air conditioner on at all times (trip was in August) - Average MPG was 23.3. I remember when I was a kid that the VW bugs maybe averaged 20 MPG and everyone thought that was awesome!

In our case with the "V", on the highway your best friend is 6th gear as soon as possible.

rand49er
11-06-07, 01:30 PM
Northern Michigan (we call "hilly" but some of you might go :nono:) going to see in-laws in Mackinaw City, got 26.2 MPG at constant 70 MPH with very slight (~3 MPH) mostly tailwind, 75 degrees in August, AC on, for 150 miles. BTW, this was when I was bone stock.

JimmyH
11-06-07, 02:11 PM
Out of all the places I have been, Northern Michigan is my favorite place to drive.

I loved the drive to Mackinaw. 7 mile road, 9 mile road, 13 mile road, another 7 mile road, another 9 mile road...

I would move back to MI if I could.

rand49er
11-06-07, 02:45 PM
... I would move back to MI if I could.Better bring some $ if you do, 'cause there's very little to be made by those of us (still) here. :helpless:

50 4Ever
11-06-07, 06:38 PM
Same here. I'll get 13mpg here in town and 22-24 on the highway. Average 17.xx mpg.

Same here, mid 13's bopping around town and 24-25 on the highway.

cts-v ls6
11-06-07, 11:52 PM
razl,

By 87 octane tune, I mean I sent my V's ECM to Stealth V, and he changed the factory programming, or "tune", so that my car would be able to pull more horsepower using 87 octane cheap gas without detonating, setting off the knock sensors, and pulling timing, which costs horsepower, than the factory originally programmed the car to do. As I understand it, there is a low octane and high octane air-fuel chart in the V's ECM. By reprogramming the V's idle, part load and full load parameters, a skillful tuner (programmer) can wring as much horsepower as possible out of 87 octane without going into detonation or even letting the engine see a knock event. I have 124k miles on my '04 V, so I do alot of highway driving. It's NEVER detonated with Stealth's tune, and I've never run anything but the cheapest gas I can buy. I pulled 361 RWHP on 87 octane on the dyno after this tune, and the estimate is I'm giving up maybe 12 RWHP by not using high octane. Big deal! Stealth V is a genius.

Jack

Feffman
04-02-08, 09:02 PM
Had to run up to see a new client in Decatur, IL. (Southern Illinois is flat). It's about 320 miels round trip and at an average of 70 MPH the V got just shy of 23 MPG. Not too bad, well until gas hits $4 per gallon.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

StealthV
04-02-08, 09:10 PM
Decatur? ADM, Staleys or Caterpillar?

My BMW has been pulling 35 mpg during my commute with the cruise set at 55 mph. Flogged it today and the trip average dropped to 19.9 mpg. The right foot is the devil. :lildevil:

NormV
04-02-08, 10:28 PM
55 mph?! Guess your Joe Walsh days have wained. :)

Could only manage 10 mpg at the track!

Glad your enjoying your ride. I was chasing a 550i with temp tags on it at Roebling Road this past weekend. Fellow instructor was not going anywhere down the front straights as I was showing student some different lines then would reel him back in on the straights.

Got 28 MPG @ 65 mph and 750 miles from Ohio to GA. WV and VA hills ate the first half up only yielding 23.8 mpg then the decent to sea level it came back up.

Norm

My BMW has been pulling 35 mpg during my commute with the cruise set at 55 mph. Flogged it today and the trip average dropped to 19.9 mpg. The right foot is the devil. :lildevil:

StealthV
04-02-08, 11:05 PM
On the V, the daily city commute was around 14 mpg. Interstate cruising at 80 mpg was 24 mpg with the Maggie. The 10% ethanol here doesn't do MPG any good.

Joe Walsh? Damn you're old.

CTSV_Rob
04-02-08, 11:12 PM
Decent mileage to me Stealth. If I cruise at 65 (haha....) I will get 24MPG and that's it.

Getting great mileage these days on the V, she's stuck in the garage.

1QUICKV
04-03-08, 12:33 AM
How much of a difference with a maggie? What would you say just cruising doing 80 mph in 6th... 24 w/out maggie and 20w/maggie??? and how about over all?

atdeneve
04-03-08, 07:23 AM
Maggie is not supposed consume any extra fuel when just cruising. Maybe 1 mpg decrease at most (when your foot is not in the throttle). As was indicated in his post above, Stealth was getting about 24 mpg at 80 mph with a maggie - although, a wee bit of tweaking his PCM helped some, I'm sure.

lollygagger8
04-03-08, 08:59 AM
I got 23mpg going from NC to IN on the hwy (but definitely getting on it from time to time, cuz it's just boring driving slow...avg speed was 90mph). But if I'm out smoking bimmers around town, ummm yaaa...12mpg

jr_vette
04-03-08, 09:13 AM
The best I've done so far, is 23.5 on a two hour trip. Crouse control was set at 80. Around town is a different story.........

Same here. 22MPG per the computer is the best I've done on any long trips.

chkline
04-21-08, 09:44 PM
Hey Jack (CTS V LS6), I'm looking really hard at a CTS for my next car. I would be using it for business travel and putting on 30-35k per year. It sounds like you really put the highway miles on as well. I'd be travelling all over MI, OH, PA, and IN, almost all interstate, 70-75 MPH. With your Stealth V program what has your average been? If I can get 30 MPG I can almost justify one of these over another Diesel with the price of diesel as high as it is going now. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Clint

faylix
04-21-08, 09:49 PM
Honestly guys I get 19mpg on cruise control at 80mph (via the real time display) - stock tune with headers. My average is horrible. Maybe I just dont know how to not use my right foot?!

CTSV_510
04-21-08, 09:56 PM
Hey Jack (CTS V LS6), I'm looking really hard at a CTS for my next car. I would be using it for business travel and putting on 30-35k per year. It sounds like you really put the highway miles on as well. I'd be travelling all over MI, OH, PA, and IN, almost all interstate, 70-75 MPH. With your Stealth V program what has your average been? If I can get 30 MPG I can almost justify one of these over another Diesel with the price of diesel as high as it is going now. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Clint

Clint, are you talking about a CTS or a V? I think you're off if you think you
're going to get 30 mpg out of a V. Not the car if you're worried about fuel consumption.

I avg 14.4 on a daily basis. I took a 3 hour round trip once (highway) and got 22.

Civardi
04-21-08, 10:49 PM
Clint, are you talking about a CTS or a V? I think you're off if you think you
're going to get 30 mpg out of a V. Not the car if you're worried about fuel consumption.

I avg 14.4 on a daily basis. I took a 3 hour round trip once (highway) and got 22.

I avg 12.3 daily. My right foot is the devil. :lildevil:

chkline
04-21-08, 11:12 PM
Thanks CTSV 510 and Civardi, I am looking at the V, and with some of the other posts, and a few of the right mods to help it breath a little better I think just under 30 should be in the ball park. I know the V is no where near as aero as the Vette, but they can get over 30 on the highway, so the V can't be that far off? All of my driving is interstate with the cruise, so I'm able to limit the stop and go that kills the fuel economy. I appreciate the feedback! Thanks, Clint

concorso
04-21-08, 11:37 PM
Thanks CTSV 510 and Civardi, I am looking at the V, and with some of the other posts, and a few of the right mods to help it breath a little better I think just under 30 should be in the ball park. I know the V is no where near as aero as the Vette, but they can get over 30 on the highway, so the V can't be that far off? All of my driving is interstate with the cruise, so I'm able to limit the stop and go that kills the fuel economy. I appreciate the feedback! Thanks, Clintchange your final drive...i think you can get a 3.43

I dont understand why youd want this car if all your driving is cruising...
If youre just cruising and you like the CTS look, id get a CTS...32,33 mpg at 80
Im not sure what an STS gets on the highway, but you could get one with the Magnetic Ride control...that car would by a great highway cruiser

CTSV_510
04-22-08, 07:41 AM
Thanks CTSV 510 and Civardi, I am looking at the V, and with some of the other posts, and a few of the right mods to help it breath a little better I think just under 30 should be in the ball park. I know the V is no where near as aero as the Vette, but they can get over 30 on the highway, so the V can't be that far off? All of my driving is interstate with the cruise, so I'm able to limit the stop and go that kills the fuel economy. I appreciate the feedback! Thanks, Clint

vette weighs 3200 lbs
V weighs 3850 lbs

that weight difference is a major factor too. Get a V anyway!

Flyboy
04-22-08, 10:55 AM
My Car is sold to a guy in Houston. But, I had many mods from Katech, and with the cruise control on in 6th gear (Obviously highway miles), the car would get between 26 and 27 MPG. However, City Driving (spirited, of course) would drop to an average of 18. Still not bad for a motor putting out nearly 500 HP at the flywheel.

JimmyH
04-22-08, 12:47 PM
change your final drive...i think you can get a 3.43

I dont understand why youd want this car if all your driving is cruising...
If youre just cruising and you like the CTS look, id get a CTS...32,33 mpg at 80
Im not sure what an STS gets on the highway, but you could get one with the Magnetic Ride control...that car would by a great highway cruiser

You must have one hell of a good engine in yours.

Driving around 70mph, my CTS gets 26-28 mpg.

Mystical_Ice
04-22-08, 01:01 PM
how in the hell am i getting 22MPG at 72mph on a 4 hour trip!?

qqik4u
04-22-08, 01:14 PM
O,K - So I must be the only one who is screwed - I only get 10.3 miles per gallon and this my daily car. The mods I have are CAI, Maggie, Kooks headers and corsa exhaust with a tune from Tony corvette in MD (not aggressive):hmm: - I have the car in the shop with Lindsey to look at this, but with gas prices and upcoming V day. I might go brook soon:crying2:

Mick

JimmyH
04-22-08, 02:19 PM
CTS-V http://cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/gif/ne.gif good daily driver

At least not with gas nearing $4.

Twitch
04-22-08, 02:20 PM
O,K - So I must be the only one who is screwed - I only get 10.3 miles per gallon and this my daily car. The mods I have are CAI, Maggie, Kooks headers and corsa exhaust with a tune from Tony corvette in MD (not aggressive):hmm: - I have the car in the shop with Lindsey to look at this, but with gas prices and upcoming V day. I might go brook soon:crying2:

Mick

Mine is also at 10 mpg, but thats city driving. Highway, I get low 20s cruising.
Living in NY, and having fun with the car, I'm not worried about gas mileage.

Civardi
04-22-08, 04:00 PM
Just did a 70 mile round trip today and managed 23.4mpg. 70 avg.

bossplayer
04-22-08, 05:34 PM
Ever since I installed the Tornado system I get about 50 mpg.:rolleyes:

Civardi
04-22-08, 06:29 PM

I just ordered one of those with a magnetic fuel saver. I got a discount on shipping. :highfive:

qqik4u
04-22-08, 07:13 PM

Can you elaborate on what is Tornado system???? I would be interested. Thanks

Mick

CTSV_510
04-22-08, 07:45 PM
what you want is the Supercharger Turbonator Tornado Double Fuel Saver Fan.

seriously.

better than the original design.

seriously.

qqik4u don't ever buy one. :lies:

JimmyH
04-22-08, 11:18 PM
try this

http://drivewater.com/

StealthV
04-23-08, 12:11 AM
... I only get 10.3 miles per gallon and this my daily car. The mods I have are CAI, Maggie, Kooks headers and corsa exhaust with a tune from ...

If they used the Magnuson tune as a starting point, it has a very aggressive fuel booster setting (Power Enrichment, aka PE mode) that is sort of like big accelerator pump on a carb. With this extra fuel and just about any touch of the throttle, even in civilized normal driving, it's going to burn a lot of fuel. It's an easy change and should only take them literally a minute or two to hook up and update your PCM.

Or sell me the Maggied V for $20k. It's a gas hog after all. :D

With a V, the right foot is evil. Short shift, massage the go-pedal - Say good-bye to fun and hello to good fuel economy.

qqik4u
04-23-08, 08:20 AM
If they used the Magnuson tune as a starting point, it has a very aggressive fuel booster setting (Power Enrichment, aka PE mode) that is sort of like big accelerator pump on a carb. With this extra fuel and just about any touch of the throttle, even in civilized normal driving, it's going to burn a lot of fuel. It's an easy change and should only take them literally a minute or two to hook up and update your PCM.

Or sell me the Maggied V for $20k. It's a gas hog after all. :D

With a V, the right foot is evil. Short shift, massage the go-pedal - Say good-bye to fun and hello to good fuel economy.

Appreciate your feedback - But I can't part with my 06 V just yet - I will talk to the Lindsey folks about it. But the funny thing is when I wanted to get my tuned at Lindsey last year - I remember that Stealth V had not come out with a tune module for the 06 V and I had to take the car to tony's corvette shop in MD and they tuned my car from ground up (meaning) the entire program was re-done. Maybe that was not done right so anyway the Magnuson tune originally was fuel enriched and after the tune it did not matter. I hope lindsey can figure out something for me.

thanks to all the feedback. BTW the above stated upgrades are just 1/2 of what I have done to the car - so I have so much $ sunk into the car and want to get my money's worth of fun before I think to part from it.

Mick

vegasVowner
04-24-08, 06:01 AM
Gotta question? I just put a 160 tstat with 1gal. of dexcool, water wetter, and the rest distilled water in last weekend with summer coming up. My highway coolant/oil temps are way low and MPG is down dramatically. My other mods are Volant CAI, Magnaflow, and TB coolant bypass (soon to have TPIS headers and cats with new plugs). My tips were black before the tstat and now more so, running rich? Would a tune after header install lean everything out and somewhat increase MPG? And would headers help increase coolant/oil temps a little with more underhood heat? Also, is the V's driveability on long trips too drastically reduced with these mods done? Cuz I'm doing a Vegas>TwinCites>Vegas vaca in July (miss that MInn. fishing!). Thanks for the advice in advance guys!

concorso
04-24-08, 09:00 PM
You must have one hell of a good engine in yours.

Driving around 70mph, my CTS gets 26-28 mpg.Yea, Ive noticed I get better then the average. I seem to get at 80 what most people are getting at 65 or so. I have no rear seat or stereo in the car, and we've been getting cool dry air, but I wouldnt think that would account for 5 mpgs...

Luna.
04-24-08, 10:29 PM
Some of you guys are really fortunate...

Granted, I have an overboosted-maggie V, but the absolute best I can get on my "immediate fuel MPG" is ~23-24 mpg (not counting when I'm going downhill, or coasting or something).

Overall, the absolute best I can get is about ~18.5 mpg on the entire tank of gas...and that's with A LOT of highway miles (probably over 90% highway miles).

If you're getting better than that...WOW...enjoy it...

atdeneve
04-25-08, 09:54 AM
If you have an over-boosted maggie with a larger crankshaft pulley and no slip ... Wow ... enjoy it. :D

JimmyH
04-25-08, 04:40 PM
Another thing you have to take into consideration is tires. Tires with low rolling resistance vs tires with high rolling resistance can make a difference up to 5 mpg.

allaboutdaz
06-20-08, 04:17 PM
i heard that tuning will also help better MPG but i am not sure about this
does anyone have any input on this ??

rb1
07-31-08, 01:12 PM
my V gets about 24mpg on the hwy. Can't get any better than that. Not even with a wait4me tune. How the heck can the same car get 30mpg on a flat road without alot of wind? This doesn't make any sense!

onebadcad
07-31-08, 03:14 PM
Some of you guys are really fortunate...

Granted, I have an overboosted-maggie V, but the absolute best I can get on my "immediate fuel MPG" is ~23-24 mpg (not counting when I'm going downhill, or coasting or something).

Overall, the absolute best I can get is about ~18.5 mpg on the entire tank of gas...and that's with A LOT of highway miles (probably over 90% highway miles).

If you're getting better than that...WOW...enjoy it...

Feel your pain, as for the first time since I owned I now watch the mileage.
In the city I get no more than 10-11 mpg, and on the highway I can never get above 23 mpg. This car is a 4,100lb pig, but a pig I love!

atdeneve
07-31-08, 03:52 PM
There are ways to go about lightening it a bit.

onebadcad
07-31-08, 03:56 PM
Yeah, but I ain't dieting. Did that once and gained four pounds, worst three hours of my life.

atdeneve
07-31-08, 04:03 PM
Haha! Fair enough.

NormV
07-31-08, 09:46 PM
Tire pressures play a big role. I run 38'ish psi cold. The tune can play a big role, hptuners is your friend. Keep the rpms low, which is difficult with 3.73 rear, and skip gears accelerating. Other than that the driver plays a big role. After about 700 miles break in on the new 5-lug C5 hubs I probably picked another mpg. The stock hubs are heavy duty and seem to have higher rolling resistance than the 5-lug.

Google hypermiling for more tips.

Norm

my V gets about 24mpg on the hwy. Can't get any better than that. Not even with a wait4me tune. How the heck can the same car get 30mpg on a flat road without alot of wind? This doesn't make any sense!

sleepys4
08-01-08, 05:08 AM
Can we run ethanol in our cars? Or is possible to mix it? A gas station up the street just got the stuff along with 100 octane race gas. Are either one safe?

atdeneve
08-01-08, 06:41 AM
100 octane is fine to run, but you won't gain anything, except further knock resistance, although you shouldn't see any knock with 93 anyways - i.e., basically a waste of money, unless you're running a race engine that's got its compression bumped up to ridiculous levels.

The ethanol, I wouldn't do.

Bottom line: save your money. There's really no benefit to using a higher octane than a car was recommended for, unless the engine has been modified such that it requires it.

cobra93teal
08-01-08, 05:46 PM
I got around 23 my last highway trip

O FIRST POST BY THE WAY!

Lynardskynard
08-01-08, 10:38 PM
I drive 65 miles round trip to work, half city, half highway, and I get about 18 mi/ga average. I can get about 22 highway, and about 14 city, but I have an admittedly dense "Lead Foot".

NormV
08-02-08, 10:05 AM
Hypermiling. Funny story!

Not sure it would work in the V8 due to mass and that the engine could be near idle in most driving. :)

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2007/01/king_of_the_hypermilers.html

Norm

CTSV_510
08-02-08, 10:31 AM
"ICE", "DWB", "D-FAS", "Death Turn"

People are crazy. No one was losing their heads when gas went to $3/gallon, but now that it's $4, they're retroactively reacting to the increase to $3 too. I understand the want to break free from middle eastern oil, but some of this hypermiling stuff is downright dangerous.

USAMade
08-03-08, 08:55 AM
OK, so here's our story; we're looking at a CTS-V for my wife's commuter, to be doing about 90 miles a day. I really want the car. We have not bought one yet and 30 mpg is a target to attain. Here's some questions;

a. Is there a FAQ section somewhere for the Vs?

b. What are the different rear ends that were put into the '04 & '05 Vs, and where would I find that info. on each car, other than the build sheet? Did they all get a 3.43 rear end?

c. Who/where offers the map re-flash, or is it just a plug n play module like the SuperChip tuner I have for my Powerstroke?

d. Which tires are being used to get into the 25-30 mpg region? I understand needing to keep around 40 PSI for good MPG, but was wondering about tire brand/model.

TIA, my first post here, great site, awesome cars!!:worship:

atdeneve
08-03-08, 09:56 AM

NormV
08-03-08, 10:07 AM
Cadillacfaq..com

3.73 is the only differential but Rey has changed his to a 3.42.

I've run Michelin Pilot AS and currently run Potenza 760 with good results on the street and track.

There is only one that will offer better mpg or spend $400-600 for HPTuners or EFI Live to do the tuning yourself.

Look forward to seeing your ride and hearing your review. :)

Norm

QUOTE==USAMade;1595597]OK, so here's our story; we're looking at a CTS-V for my wife's commuter, to be doing about 90 miles a day. I really want the car. We have not bought one yet and 30 mpg is a target to attain. Here's some questions;

a. Is there a FAQ section somewhere for the Vs?

b. What are the different rear ends that were put into the '04 & '05 Vs, and where would I find that info. on each car, other than the build sheet? Did they all get a 3.43 rear end?

c. Who/where offers the map re-flash, or is it just a plug n play module like the SuperChip tuner I have for my Powerstroke?

d. Which tires are being used to get into the 25-30 mpg region? I understand needing to keep around 40 PSI for good MPG, but was wondering about tire brand/model.

TIA, my first post here, great site, awesome cars!!:worship:[/QUOTE]

lilgCTS-V
12-25-08, 08:46 PM
yea i get about 11.5 to 13 average i never got it past 13.4 since ive owned the car