: lost my keys, now what???????

blackonblackonblack
11-05-07, 03:03 AM
Lost the keys to my V, and my mom lost my backup set. This is my daily driver, and I have s#it to do. What are the ordering times like. Do I need to provide more than my Registration and ID, any fast ordering options? Thanks for your help, I'm just kind of freaking out, and rental cars are sooo expensive.
Thanks

NormV
11-05-07, 08:55 AM
Lost the keys to my V, and my mom lost my backup set. This is my daily driver, and I have s#it to do. What are the ordering times like. Do I need to provide more than my Registration and ID, any fast ordering options? Thanks for your help, I'm just kind of freaking out, and rental cars are sooo expensive.
Thanks

You'll need proof of the VIN and ownership(title). You can buy keys($75 from dealer) from ebay for $20 a pair. Just make sure they are PassKey III. Remote transmitter($120 from dealer) go for around $30 and usually include battery. Both key and remote will have to be mated to the car via Tech II($100 for the hook up and $100/hr for the tech). Dealership charged $5 to cut each key....starting to pucker? :)

Unless they make house calls you'll need a tow. Onstar might pick it up the car. I'd find a local shop with a Tech II that only charged me $80 for Tech II service. My V came from an auction with no keys or remotes. If you have HPTuners you can get by without allot of security stuff.

Good luck and let us know how you fair!

Norm

RunningOnEMT
11-05-07, 08:56 AM
they can cut you one on site at the dealer

take proof of ownership and your vin number to the service/parts department and they'll cut you a key and program you a fob

ewill3rd
11-05-07, 09:03 AM
You can do the relearn of the new key in your driveway but it takes half an hour.
Make sure the battery is charged.
I can tell you how to do the relearn manually, it sucks but it is fairly easy.

Jon
11-05-07, 10:40 AM
FYI:

IF NO OTHER WORKING KEY FOR THE CAR IS AVAILABLE:

1. Put the newly cut Master key into the keyway and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. A "Security" indicator light on the dashboard will stay on for 10 minutes.

2. Within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to "OFF" then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY)

3. Again, within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to "OFF", then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY)

4. When the light goes off for the third time, the new key is programmed into the computer and will start the car. Remove the key and then re-insert it into the ignition lock and start the car.

All previously stored codes will be erased. To stop the process at any time, simply remove the key and use an existing key to start the car.

IF YOU HAVE A KEY AND WANT TO MAKE A SPARE:

1. Place an already programmed key in the keyway.

2. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON (RUN) to OFF.

3. Within 15 seconds, insert the new, properly cut Transponder key in the ignition. Turn the key to ON (RUN) or START. The "Security" indicator light will go on and off. Turn the key "OFF".

The key will now start the car. Repeat the second step for each new key to be programmed

ewill3rd
11-05-07, 11:06 AM
The key to either procedure is wait until the security light goes out.

Twitch
11-05-07, 11:07 AM
Guys, he has no key to make a cut from. That means he has to go to the dealer right? But does he have to change the key cylinder also? $$$

Jon
11-05-07, 11:08 AM
The key to either procedure is wait until the security light goes out.
So the ones I put up are incorrect? I dunno, I just copied it from someone trying to sell a '07 Escalade key. I assumed those were PK3 as well?

If they're wrong I'll take them down so no one waste a lot of time in their driveway lol

RunningOnEMT
11-05-07, 11:15 AM
Guys, he has no key to make a cut from. That means he has to go to the dealer right? But does he have to change the key cylinder also? $$$

yes... they will have to cut the key at the dealership...b ut that doesnt mean they have to charge him labor and tech II time if he can program it himself

The Tony Show
11-05-07, 11:21 AM
The cylinder doesn't have to be replaced- they can pull up his key code using the VIN#.

FYI- your Cadillac warranty will cover having the car towed to the dealer, but I'm not sure if it can be towed if it's locked up. Call Onstar to have to doors unlocked so you can release the parking brake and put it in neutral first.

ewill3rd
11-05-07, 03:47 PM
To get the mechanical cut you'll have to go to the dealer and have them do a key code lookup.
This is where you need ID and proof of ownership, some stores only do it for in house customers or people who bought their vehicle at the dealership.
They can punch up the key code and make you a key.
PK3 systems are all the same, the 30 minute relearn should work.
"wait for the light" ;)

lawrence1
02-15-09, 12:33 AM
whats is the part number for remote 1? fcc id and gm part # would be great.

also are they the same with the regular cts remotes? this is for a 05 cts-v.

thanks.

kjr6306
04-10-11, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know if the proceedure above works to reprogram a new key? I lost all my keys to my V. Gonna go to dealer ship with my title and see if they can cut me new keys using the VIN #. Was hoping not to have the car towed to dealership to have them program the new keys.

612WharfAvenue
10-19-11, 11:18 AM
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but as it came up during a search the other day and was useful, I thought I'd throw my story into the mix. Bought my '04 V used, and it only came with one set of keys, which I managed to lose the other week. (in my house, no less. I think they may have gotten knocked into the trash somehow while I was cleaning. Teach me to do silly things like that...)

Anyway, going off the advice in this thread I went on ebay and picked up two key blanks (they were advertised as CTS ones but as fitting the V), as well as two remotes. Grand total was about $56 shipped. Unfortunately, despite the fact the auction said normal delivery time was 2-3 business days (leading me to believe I'd get them that friday at the latest), they ended up taking a week to come. Oh well.

Keys in hand, I set about getting them cut. First call went to lindsay, who informed me for security measures they wouldn't cut them for me unless my car had been serviced there. (It actually has, and while I owned it, but not under my name as the dealer I bought it from was paying for the repairs). Luckily the Koons GM in tysons corner had no such qualms and was happy with my registration and driver's license to prove I owned the car. $25 to look up the key code (as I had no working keys) and cut the two blanks for me. I believe this was a flat fee and would have been the same if I'd wanted 1 or even 4 cut.

As it turns out, my (presumably original, approx 8 years old, and coming from a PO who sparsely drove the car) battery didn't like taking a two week vacation from its friend the alternator, so when I first got in the car to do the re-learn with the new keys, things were pretty ugly. Lights dimmer than they should be, NAV system constantly trying to start and then resetting, dogs and cats living together, etc, etc. I pulled out my multimeter and found it was putting out somewhere around 7 volts. A trip to Advanced Auto parts and ~3-4 hours on their charger couldn't revive it (though they did convince it to leak acid on a couple of jackets in the backseat of my GF's car, as well as my jeans, oops.), so I ended up getting one of the group 78 ones from walmart. They're going for $95 these days. New battery in, everything worked beautifully, got both keys learned and could drive again. All that was left was the remotes.

Now when I got the keys cut, they told me they'd charge $60 to program the remotes. (probably half an hour labor) Less than the $100+ I'd heard thrown around, but still, more than I wanted to pay if I could avoid it. As it happened I was taking a basic auto repair class from the county at the time, and I was lucky enough that the autoshop had a tech 2 available. Having done the procedure last night I'm even more glad I didn't pay someone $60. The first time it'll take you a few minutes to poke through the menus, but now that I know where the right command is ( from memory, I have it written down on my computer at home, the D/DN are from your VIN: diagnostics -> 2004 -> passenger car -> cadillac -> d -> DN (CTS-V) -> body -> remote function actuation -> special functions -> program key fobs), as I'd imagine the techs at a dealer do, I'd say I could probably program 4 fobs in under a minute. You just hit enter on the program function and then hit lock+unlock at the same time on each fob in succession as it tells you to. 2-3 seconds per fob.

So to summarize, buy the keys off ebay if you can wait a bit, no need to tow your car anywhere, don't pay too much to get them cut, and if at all possible borrow a tech 2 or bribe a shop $10 to let you use theirs for 5 minutes to program your new remotes.

repenttokyo
10-19-11, 12:29 PM
love the ghostbusters reference.

AmigoBB
10-19-11, 07:37 PM
Check your auto insurance to see if re-keying is possibly covered. Some of the higher end policies I sell have that coverage. It would be found in your policy contract.