: Any Reviews of this Tire

GMBOUND
11-04-07, 04:38 PM
I've been searching like crazy for Winter tires. I don't have the luxury of having a Discount tire in town. So ordering from Discount and TireRack technically serves no discount because I still have to pay someone for installation.

I called Costco and was given a price of $255 for the Michelin® Pilot® Alpin® PA2™
the tech suggested I go with these for less though:
BFGoodrich® g-Force™ Super Sport A/S 245/45R18
Directional All-Season Performance Tire

$199.99

Has any one had any experience with these?

RobWilson
11-04-07, 07:38 PM
I ran Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S last winter on my '96 Corvette convertible. They were great tires and cost me less than $800 out the door at a local tire place that matches Tire Rack's prices.

SkullV
11-04-07, 10:10 PM
Bridgestone Potenza RE060 Pole Postion A/S...are amazing..I have hit over a G each way with them, they are quiet, and they have excellent tread wear!!

AAIIIC
11-04-07, 11:27 PM
I've been searching like crazy for Winter tires.
Are you looking for winter tires or all-season tires? Two completely different beasts. I shop with Tire Rack because their techs don't try to sell me an all-season tire when I'm looking for winter tires!

I don't have the luxury of having a Discount tire in town. So ordering from Discount and TireRack technically serves no discount because I still have to pay someone for installation.
Unless tire shops in your area charge amazingly high prices for mounting and balancing, I just can't see how your statement makes any sense. The PA2 costs $201 each at Tire Rack in a 245/45-18. It should cost about $8 per tire for shipping, so now we're up to $209. Did that $255 at Costco include mounting and balancing? Even if it does, you should still come out ahead ordering online. If a tire shop is charging you $46 per tire to mount and balance, well, you're getting raped. I pay $60-80 to get all 4 tires mounted and balanced at a local shop.

Now, the $200 price for the BFGs is pretty good, since TR has them for $188 + shipping. But I still have to come back to the question - what kind of tires are you shopping for? And if you ask for the PA2 winter tires, why is Costco trying to sell you all-season tires instead? :confused:

Oh, as for the original question, no, I don't have any experience with either tire. However, there's a good chance I'll be picking up a set of PA2s for my Subaru, as my size is on close-out at only $99 each. I've never bought Michelins before because I've never felt they were worth to 50-100% premium over comparable tires, but I've heard nothing but good things about the PA2 and the close-out price is damn attractive.

rand49er
11-05-07, 06:43 AM
Got no experience with the BFG's. Bought Avon Tech 550 A/S at tirerack.com two years ago ... they're $139 each right now. Not sure about shipping costs, but by the time you add it all up including mounting and balancing, I believe you'll be below that $199.99 number.

Do they work? Going from nearly bald F1s with 15k on them, :yup:.

Bob T
11-05-07, 08:31 PM
I have used the Michelin Alpins for two winters now in Indianapolis. I drive all over the state for business and they have worked well. I got them from Tire rack with wheels. I would recommend them.

GMBOUND
11-05-07, 10:26 PM
I'd called Costco about winter tires, after the Tech looked up the tire and seen the price, he was like Sh$t:eek:, I said "yes I know they're high, whats the cost?" Then proceeded to tell me that I may be able to get similar perfomance from the tires that I've asked you guys about, for a lessor price.

Yes the price from Costco includes everything, shipping to the center, mounting, balance & install. If you look up TR's recommended installers for my area you'll find they give prices of $26+, then the disposal fee.
I've spent $200 to have a set of RSAs mounted at the Goodyear store. The dealership was charging the same price.

To answer YOUR question, I'm looking for the best tire to keep my arse on the road during the KC winter season, for the least amount of cash. If an A/S will do the job for less, great If not, I'll be getting winter tires.

Are you looking for winter tires or all-season tires? Two completely different beasts. I shop with Tire Rack because their techs don't try to sell me an all-season tire when I'm looking for winter tires!

Unless tire shops in your area charge amazingly high prices for mounting and balancing, I just can't see how your statement makes any sense. The PA2 costs $201 each at Tire Rack in a 245/45-18. It should cost about $8 per tire for shipping, so now we're up to $209. Did that $255 at Costco include mounting and balancing? Even if it does, you should still come out ahead ordering online. If a tire shop is charging you $46 per tire to mount and balance, well, you're getting raped. I pay $60-80 to get all 4 tires mounted and balanced at a local shop.

Now, the $200 price for the BFGs is pretty good, since TR has them for $188 + shipping. But I still have to come back to the question - what kind of tires are you shopping for? And if you ask for the PA2 winter tires, why is Costco trying to sell you all-season tires instead? :confused:

Oh, as for the original question, no, I don't have any experience with either tire. However, there's a good chance I'll be picking up a set of PA2s for my Subaru, as my size is on close-out at only $99 each. I've never bought Michelins before because I've never felt they were worth to 50-100% premium over comparable tires, but I've heard nothing but good things about the PA2 and the close-out price is damn attractive.

slothV
11-05-07, 10:30 PM
My girlfriend just bought the Alpin® PA2. I know a few people who have had them and they are highly recommended.

My winter tires are BFG Mud-Terrains.