Cadillac Owners Forum banner

'92 Eldo aftermarket CD changer install questions

978 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Tony_Hanna 
#1 ·
Since my stock CD player is dead, I'd like to install an aftermarket CD changer of the type that feeds through the antenna. I'm thinking the trunk would be the best place to mount it since the antenna connection is there and I was wondering if I could tap the B+ and switched + feeds to the stock (Bose Gold) stereo unit? If the changer wouldn't draw too much additional current, I'd like to do it that way since it would mean having to run only one cable into the car for the remote. Also, I'm guessing that if I get the right wire for the switched + the changer will stay powered up with the key off until a door is opened just like the stock radio.

Any thoughts on whether or not this would work ok?

Thanks,
Tony

#2 ·
For the changer itself I think you should be OK with that approach because, as you said, it does not draw that much power compared to an amplifier. Your best bet is to start with a wiring diagram and make sure you know which circuit(s) you're tapping into. When you look at changers they should come with power requirements as well so you can get an idea if its going to be a complete hog.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I did some shopping yesterday, and it seems as though nobody is dealing with aftermarket changers much anymore (at least locally). I remember a few years ago I bought a cheapie off-brand changer from Walmart for around $100. It worked well for no more than I wanted and I figured I'd grab another like it. No luck there.:(
After a little internet searching, I found that Circuit City should stock one changer. A Sony CDX-454RF. The price is right, so I'm going to pick one up this afternoon. Hopefully power consumption is reasonable and I can wire it in with the stock stereo.

Any tips on where to look online for a wiring diagram? I haven't got around to ordering a factory service manual yet, so aside from a multimeter I'm kind of flying blind.:)

Thanks,
Tony

#4 ·
Ok, I did a little searching on here and found this:

1994 Cadillac Seville Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Orange
Switched 12V+ Yellow
Ground Black
Illumination Gray
Dimmer Brown
Antenna Trigger Pink
Antenna Right Rear
Front Speakers 5 1/4" Doors
Left Front (+) Tan
Left Front (-) Gray
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green
Rear Speakers 6" x 9" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) Light Blue

Assuming the wiring is color coded the same between a '94 Seville and a '92 Eldorado, that should give me a starting point. I'll double check with the DVOM.
Tony

#5 ·
I ended up with the Sony changer from Circuit City and as it turns out I didn't need to tap into the wiring for the stereo module after all. I had replaced a broken power antenna with a standard antenna awhile back and the disconnected wiring provided the constant and switched hot.:thumbsup:
Best of all, the changer powers up and down when the radio is turned on and off and remains on when the key is off until the door is opened.:)
Overall I'd say this is one of the easiest car audio installs I've ever done.
I'm also pleasantly surprised with the sound quality out of the RF modulator the changer uses.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.