: Turn AC On Today & White Smoke From Mod Hell Emerges ....

Chef
11-03-07, 05:49 PM
Just went outside to run up to Scottsdale to buy some mother of pearl spoons for caviar and flip on the a/c, drive for 5 minutes and white smoke started pouring through the extractor hood. Pulled over and it looks as if it was coming from the right side passenger side up front -

a/c was blowing hot air (no smoke in the cabin)
gauges looked fine - temps etc. all in line
smelled like rubber/electrical
seemed to sort of stop when a/c was off but hard to tell due to the smellCan't see anything underneath or from the top?

compresser lock up? Belt fry? a/c clutch fry?

Should I attempt to get her home (12-13 miles)?

Nels
11-03-07, 06:07 PM
Does the engine turn over/run with the A/C in the off postion? If so any noise coming from A/C compresser clutch?

bpitas
11-03-07, 06:07 PM
I'd shut the AC off, pop the hood, then have a helper turn the AC on and see what happens. You'll be able to see what the issue is better during the transition between AC/No-AC.

Chances are you'll find the AC compressor seized or the clutch slipping. In either case, just hit the AC off button and make sure you don't hit defrost, which'll override the AC-off button.

If neither of those seems to be happening, then maybe some wiring going to the AC hit a header and got torched or something?

-B

Chef
11-03-07, 06:18 PM
Does the engine turn over/run with the A/C in the off postion? If so any noise coming from A/C compresser clutch?

yes and no noise either

Just put new plug wires in and booted all of them as well. Could be a compressor clutch fried.

I'll go out in a few and check some more with on off / ac.

Thanks

Chef
11-03-07, 07:27 PM
Update -

Looks like the compressor is freezing up - sort or does a stutter step when turned on.

There's also a bunch of what appears to be burnt sealant or tar like substance on the front of the compressor that has spit all over. Belts look good but the front of the compressor is where this black sticky tar like stuff is.

What is this? a sealant? compressor internals?

How much is this going to hit me for?

nikon
11-03-07, 08:04 PM
I think it's time to sell to some unsuspecting victim and buy one of these

http://www.irmin.com/wallpaper/Auta/Carrera%20GT.jpg

rand49er
11-03-07, 08:30 PM
I took one look at this thread and just shook my head. Thought you were out of Mod Hell!?! Guess not. Now, why would that compressor suddenly seize up like that?

Chef, hope you get this one resolved with the least pain in the butt.

Chef
11-03-07, 08:51 PM
I think it's time to sell to some unsuspecting victim and buy one of these

:thumbsup:

Whoever ends up with my car will be getting a brand new car:rolleyes::bighead:

nikon
11-03-07, 10:10 PM
eh, it's just a compressor, they go bad. You've got enough into this car that you might as well enjoy it for a while.........but I do wonder how much you could get for the car.

Chef
11-03-07, 11:11 PM
I'll throw it up on e-bay soon and see what she can fetch:shhh:

darkman
11-03-07, 11:12 PM
...it's just a compressor, they go bad.

Indeed they do, but they usually go bad with much less drama. With Chef's V, however, I guess nothing just goes away quietly...

Chef
11-04-07, 12:52 AM
This is true...Mod Hell needs more company.

You game?

Never have had smoke bellow from a compressor:nono:

V-Love
11-04-07, 02:44 AM
This is true...Mod Hell needs more company.

You game?

Never have had smoke bellow from a compressor:nono:

Smoke could come from the compressor but that is not in the airstream. Was the freshair vent open? If so, I would imagine any smoke could get sucked in. I don't know exactly how the ducts are run in the V but sometimes in the A/C biz, people run wires in the ducts because its easy. After a while the wires can get "rubout" and short if they weren't wrapped and secured correctly. Good luck with her.

You must have learned a lot about cars with your "mad"(I mean mod)hobby.

Twitch
11-04-07, 08:13 AM
I'll throw it up on e-bay soon and see what she can fetch:shhh:

That would be interesting.

Flyboy
11-04-07, 09:28 AM
Should be warranty......

V-Love
11-04-07, 10:56 AM
Should be warranty......

They wouldn't know what to do with Chef's car. I can see all of the service guys coming out of thier bays and circling it in awe.

darkman
11-04-07, 11:01 AM
They wouldn't know what to do with Chef's car. I can see all of the service guys coming out of thier bays and circling it in awe.

Yeah, and I am tryng imagine what the troubleshooting sequence/chart would look like on this car.

Parker
11-04-07, 11:24 AM
I'd love to see someone at least give $45K or more

CTSV_Rob
11-04-07, 01:40 PM
Hell they do that with mine.

I'm guessing they drop to their knees and chant "were not worthy".

Chef
11-04-07, 05:09 PM
Hmmm. Warranty? :lildevil::devil:

Yeah, and I am tryng imagine what the troubleshooting sequence/chart would look like on this car.

Like a well organized systematic program;)